Imagining a V30

Vulcanelli

Looking at the choice between the V20 the S40 I find myself wishing there was an in-between choice with a 30 degree seat. Having owned a high racer Performer I find the 20 degree POV to be an inconvenience not worth the price of aerodynamic gain. The S40 has better visibility but looks too upright. Thus, I wondered what a 30-degree seat angle would look like so I made this illustration to see how it compared to a stock V20. I like the look of it and wonder if it would be possible to alter a real seat on a V20 similar to what I did in Photoshop.

What I did was rotate the seat ten degrees clockwise using a pivot point that I imagined to be the location of the riders’ hip socket. This point I determined should lie on a horizontal line passing through the center of the crank. I am not a bike engineer but it seems like this would be the configuration for maximum power so I would want to preserve that relationship in the new seat position. Rotating about this point would ideally only move the riders’ torso and not affect the leg relationship to the crank. It shows the greatest change to be in the head elevation, about twice that of the seat moving backward.

Again, this is just blue sky speculating and examining a real seat and frame is needed to mock up and see if the inclination could actually be altered.

I haven't posted an image in a while so I hope this works.

20-30-deg-comparison.jpg

telephd

Guru
Sounds like the S30 v2 though it has a slightly shorter wheelbase and rear suspension than your rendition of a V30. I love mine though it hasn't seen much love this year.....shoulder is healing and I plan to change that soon!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Why not go with a V20 with a Thor seat?

Well worth the money if you don't like being too aero.

dtseng

That can be achieved simply by replacing the existing V20 seat with a more curved seat such as on Performer Highracer or even a Thor seat. V20 seat is quite "flat" at back section for aero reason.

I will order V20 because I also want smaller CdA.

Last edited: