Impossible to edit posts

Discussion in 'Forum Admin' started by Jeremy S, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Jeremy S

Jeremy S Well-Known Member

I've been seeing this issue as long as I've been using the forum. At least 90% of the time when I click the "Edit" button on one of my forum posts to correct some mistake, the resulting page first loads a "Comment" editing box containing HTML tags, then a fraction of a second later, the box disappears. Without the box there is no way to edit.

I have tried:
    - Refreshing the page (browser refresh button)
    - Clearing my browser cache, cookies, history
    - Multiple browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox)
    - Multiple platforms (Mac, Windows)

None of these seem to help in any reliable way.

2. Eric Winn

Eric Winn Well-Known Member

I get that too on my iPad. I

I get that too on my iPad. I can usually refresh a few times and get it to work. Sometimes clicking (tapping) in the edit window when it first loads seems to help. I also switched back to Safari from Google Chrome on my iPad because part of the built-in voice search or something was exacerbating this problem. Works better in Safari on the iPad so I switched back.

-Eric

3. Charles.Plager

Charles.Plager Recumbent Quant

I also find I need to refresh

I also find I need to refresh several times on my Android tablet (and sometimes even with Firefox/Chrome on Windows).

My biggest remaining complaint (as they really did fix a lot of them) about this forum is the unnecessarily complicated text entry. Doesn't let you use your own spelling checker. Is a real pain to use on mobile. Doesn't behave consistently. Often need to reload several times to edit. It is, hands down, worse than any of the other forums I visit.

4. Charles.Plager

I have found for the past

I have found for the past several times I've tried, I have not been able to edit posts any more.

This is more than slightly annoying...

5. ratz

ratz Well-Known Member

Using a Mac?

Charles are you using a Mac? Been having the problem myself. Usually wait 3 minutes; click edit; if editing window doesn't appear; resize the edit box. If it still doesn't appear; then SHIFT-RELOAD the page and it usually comes up. 1 out of 10 times I have to quit the browser as the above doesn't work.

6. Eric Winn

Eric Winn Well-Known Member

I use a Mac at home and

I use a Mac at home and haven't had any problems lately. Still about the same on my iPad though.

Edit: Immediately editing seemed to ellicit the behavior seen on my iPad. I went to the Admin Forums page and then entered this thread again and clicked the Edit button again and here I am.

-Eric

7. Charles.Plager

I'm using a PC and android

I'm using a PC and android tablet. It used to work well, but it's getting worse...

8. Jeremy S

Primarily use Macs, still

Primarily use Macs, still seeing the issue as I described in my original post.

9. super slim

super slim Well-Known Member

All Apple users should SEE

All Apple users should SEE the LIGHT and change to WINDOWS products

Super Slim

10. 1happyreader

1happyreader Well-Known Member

All you weirdo's

Would that not be like saying "we should give up the Cruzbikes and get back on a DF like everybody else" ?

btw I am NOT an Apple fan.

11. Jeremy S

Can we manage not to turn this

Not sure if you're joking (or trolling actually) but can we manage not to turn this into a Mac vs Windows thing...?

I have exactly the same problems editing posts on Windows (I use both).

12. richa

richa Active Member

Worked for me.

I tried it just to see if I could. Worked fine. The one time I tried anyway.

Using Chrome on Windows 7.

Rich

13. Shahmatt

Shahmatt Active Member

@ Jeremy S,
    Were you able to

@ Jeremy S,

Were you able to solve the problem eventually?

I am having the same issues actually. Posting dialog box does not show in new posts and can't seem to edit existing posts.

I have tried using Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox! :-/

14. Rick Youngblood

Rick Youngblood Well-Known Member

Refreshing about 5 to 10

Refreshing about 5 to 10 times will bring it up for me. But it's a real pain!

15. Jeremy S

It's been really inconsistent

It's been really inconsistent but I think it's working a little better than it used to... I've also been having problems starting new threads (a broken looking page with no CSS/formatting comes up).

16. Shahmatt

Shahmatt Active Member

@ Rick,Thanks for the

@ Rick,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried doing this. Sadly the problem still persists. :-/

@ Jeremy,

Yes I've been having the broken page with no formatting issue - but I can still use that page I think.

Worse is the input dialog box that just does not appear/load.

Maybe the problem will resolve itself soon. I'll try again later. Thanks.

[​IMG]