Installing Triple Crankset/9 Speed Cassette on Sofrider

emac50

Just ordered a Sofrider (can't wait for my first ride :lol: ) and I'm interested in upgrading the double crankset to a triple along with upgrading from an 8 speed to a 9 speed cassette. Is there any particular issue to watch out for with these mods? I'm planning on installing a sram X.9 long cage derailleur and X.9 gripshift set.

Thanks
Rome Hanks

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
May need to upgrade front derailleur. Otherwise, sounds like an upgrade right up my sleeve. Triples are way under appreciated, in my opinion.

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Rome,

Your current front derailleur will work fine. The SRAM left shifter should shift it okay. You may need to adjust the derailleur height in the mount depending on your top ring tooth count.

What chainrings do you expect to use, and what crank length are you considering?

Lemme know what you have in mind; I have converted a Sofrider V2 to a triple with disc brakes. I used the original 48 tooth top ring and used a "triplizer" to attach the granny ring. Other options are now available out there...

Best,

Doug

emac50

Hi All,
I am planning on a crank length of 155mm and I was thinking about a 46-34-24 combination. Up here in Maine, I ride on a lot of fire roads, rails-to-trails, and some country roads. It's hilly in a lot of areas. Thanks for the help

Rome

strubesy

On my conversion I decided that the existing MTB crankset (46 teeth on largest gear) just didn't give me the top end I needed.
I installed an Ultegra 30, 42, 52 triple with 172.5 mm cranks. I am running a Deore front derailleur and I have crisp clean shifts with just a touch of chain rub on the outer limits. There is no rub with a little thoughtful shifting! I am using an eight speed rear cassette.

I have more downhill power than any recumbent rider could ask for! Cleaning up on the roads, with the ability to navigate stairs! Who'd have thunk!

Strubesy