It arrived

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The disks are 160 and 140

The disks are 160 and 140 because that is what Doug Burton did. I have a Monkeybone and OEM2 axleplate. I keep running out of time, and being incompetent makes me slow anyway, but soon I will start fitting the Hope brakes. I was trying to design a colour-scheme in a pathetic attempt to outdo Ivan, so the Schmidt dynamo is red too. I wanted to get red tyres, but I thought they would not fit the Mavic A119 wheels. It is a shame that the brakes don't have red bits on them. I guess I could paint them. And the spokes.

iow

very nice!
does the 135mm oln

very nice!
does the 135mm oln hub fit in the 130mm fork spacing - ie. are the dropouts parallel to the hub locknuts?
which shifter are you going to use?

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The dropouts look as though

The dropouts look as though they are flat-on to the hub. If there is an angle, it must be a degree or less, because the forks are only slightly spread. I haven't actually ridden it yet, but I pulled and pushed the wheel and it seems completely secure.

The shifter! I haven't even thought about it! AARGH!

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
That looks great! To confirm

That looks great! To confirm on the brakes, a 160mm disc rotor will fit in the rear if you want them to match.

BentBierz

Glad it has worked out for

Glad it has worked out for you. As you can see in the picture below, when I installed my Rohloff (also red) and tightened the QR, I had a gap on the disc side drop out due to the drop outs no longer being parallel to the axle in the spread condition. In the end, this is why I decided against using the Rohloff...that and Sheldon Brown and others cautioning against spreading aluminum forks and frames.

P1000649_zps6302e59a.jpg

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Mine has a tiny gap, almost

Mine has a tiny gap, almost invisible, thinner than a human hair, so I am confident about it.

iow

how large is the gap when

how large is the gap when the QR is undone? - imho. any gap which is not parallel to the locknuts is a cause for concern. especially on aluminium alloy or carbon forks.
when closed, a good skewer will apply enough force to stress the dropouts into position. not something you want to do. a dropout failure could easily kill you.

pjotr320

Rohloff fitting

Rohloff hubs really like good fitting dropouts. In this fork, you'd very slightly bend the axle of the Rohloff, which is not a clever thing to do. Bentbierz took the right decision not to use a Rohloff in this fork.

BentBierz

"Rohloff hubs really like

"Rohloff hubs really like good fitting dropouts. In this fork, you'd very slightly bend the axle of the Rohloff, which is not a clever thing to do. Bentbierz took the right decision not to use a Rohloff in this fork."

I would change to a Rohloff in a heartbeat though if the fork was a 135mm.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
File it the dropouts?
2.5 mm

File it the dropouts?

2.5 mm each side sounds like a small amount to take away.

I think one problem is that the hub is touching the forks as well as the dropouts, because the axle plate is so big. On my Grasshopper the dropouts are bigger.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Okay, I feel a bit of a twit.

Okay, I feel a bit of a twit. You all said I should not do it. The LBS said I should not do it. They said I should not attempt to file the dropouts either. I read the thread of georgec, but I could not do anything like that. With regret, I am putting the Rohloff on ebay and getting disraeli gears.

I am considering the White 130 disk hub and the Sram XX1. You are all going to tell me this won't fit either. Form an orderly queue.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
When the White CX11 arrives I

When the White CX11 arrives I will take the wheel to the LBS and ask them to replace the Rohloff with the White. White say the CX11 fits the Sram XX1, so I am considering that, but can these forks take an 11-speed cassette? Looking around this forum makes me feel a bit dubious about that. I like the idea of XX1, but I don't want a repeat of the Rohloff debacle.

I thought that when they decide to make a cassette with more speeds, they design a thinner chain, then make thinner cogs, so the new cassette is the same size as the old one. We've gone from 5-speed to 10-speed with just a change of chain. Am I right? Will a XX1 cassette go where a 10-speed does?

Unfortunately, the White is not red, if you see what I mean. I have a red SON dynamo, and the Rohloff is red. There is a red White, but it is the wrong size.

BentBierz

11 Speed Cassette

There were so many good build threads that I decided not to do one but I have asked questions or posted some of my troubles/solutions along the way. At some point I will finally get a few pictures uploaded.

Regarding 11 speed cassettes...I am running a mix of Red/Force 22 components and can definitively say (at least on my bike) that there is no issue in any gear combination and I question why there would be. An 11 speed stack has the same height as an 8 through 10 speed so I wonder what it is that wouldn't make it work. At any rate...works on mine.

scabinetguy

Silvio with Vendetta handlebars

After making an extension for the Silvio (lowering the handlebars) I found the need for more leg room. Through Jim Parker I found a source for the handlebars used on my Vendetta (only $40). These bars are a very nice fit. I also made a simple clip made out of excess boom tube to harness the four cables under the boom.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Scabinetguy - After making an

Scabinetguy - After making an extension for the Silvio (lowering the handlebars)

Can you share details of the extension you made to lower the handle bars. I would like to lower mine a little. I see that the 100mm extensions are out of stock.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Can you share details of the

Can you share details of the extension you made to lower the handle bars. I would like to lower mine a little. I see that the 100mm extensions are out of stock.

In an ideal world, posting a file that explains how the block is made would be ideal (hint hint...)

(Doug had something similar for an adapter to use disc brakes on the rear of a Sofrider).

Of course, we don't really live in an ideal world (but we can dream!)...

p.s. Of course, this only works if it is understood that anybody who picks up and uses such a file has no warranty implied or otherwise. Use at your own risk. Living life can be dangerous. Yada yada yada...

scabinetguy

Extension

I make the extension out of a piece of solid aluminum, aprox. 3/4"x 3" x 3". Depends on how long you want the extension. I hog out most of the material with a carbide saw and then use a drill press and a mill for final sizing. It's very important to get everything square and perpendicular otherwise your BB will be out of alignment. I'm too short for a 100mm extension, it would put the handle bars on my lap, 60mm is about right for me. The picture shows one about 3/4 finished.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Curious about heat treatment and finishing

Steve,

I'm curious about heat treatment and finishing for your 60mm extension. Does it need heat treatment and if so, how did you do so?

Also, how did you finish it? It looks really good in your photos.

-Eric

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
50mm might be it

This is so very interesting because I was thinking after looking at both bike with and without the 100mm extension; that for some people a 50mm might be about right. To the point that I was considering sending my 100mm extension over to http://www.purelycustom.com/c-273-make-it-custom.aspx and haveing them clone it as 50mm. Steve results leave me even more inclined to do that. I like using purelycustom becaue person one has to pay the setup costs; and then others can follow behind and buy for a much cheaper price. (Assuming person #1 releases the custom part for re-order).

This also leads to thoughts on how hard it is to get ergo on these FWD bikes that works for everyone. I'm a tall 5'9" with equal uniform torso and leg length; and a near 1 to 1 thigh to calf ratio. My wife is 5'7"; with long legs but a shorter than normal calves. I can ride both of our bikes no problems; she can't ride mine at all. She's got tons and tones of handle bar leg clearance on her's because of here short calf. I'm a tight fight on both bikes in any configuration. It's all very interesting.