It arrived

scabinetguy

Extension

Here are the dimensions: X = 10mm Y = 8mm A = 40mm Z = 68mm Height = 64mm O = 8mm No heat treating. Flat black paint. Hope these measurements will help, I think it's a good idea to get actual measurements from your particular bike.

scabinetguy

PDF

I'll try to give this to you in inches. 6 is 0.23", 6.2 is good, 10.2 is 0.375", 10 is 0.375". The 64 is my first prototype, the one in the picture is 58mm. Everything else looks good unless the folks at Cruzbike have any suggestions. The aluminum I used is 7075, I understand that 6061 is also a good choice...Steve

Ivan

Guru
With the lower seat back

With the lower seat back angle of Silvio 2 and the increasing numbers of people wanting to get extensions (and the highly positive remarks of those who have extensions), could Cruzbike increase the length of the carboyoke by 60mm for a future version? Not make 2 options as John said before that's not sustainable - just make it longer. For the shortest rider a 60mm extension would increase leg length only by 1cm or so plus the boom can always be shortened further.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Another option would be for

Another option would be for Cruzbike to drop of build instructions at a milling place so that people can just order what they want online. Shouldn't cost too much for the user and wouldn't cost Cruzbike anything at all (well, except the time to set it up ).

mzweili

Guru
EXTENSION

Scabinetguy, could you give me the real dimensions that are in balloons in the attached drawing? My Silvio is currently at the LBS, so I cannot take the measurements myself.

mzweili

Guru
EXTENSION

scabinetguy, could you put the dimensions in the attached drawing? So I can make a general drawing for the cruzbike community.

scabinetguy

Longer carboyoke

I think making the carboyoke longer would open up another can of worms. I would think that as you make it longer you would need to increase the thickness to maintain the proper flex.

Jeremy S

Dude
Not sure if I'm the only one,

Not sure if I'm the only one, but I've been having issues with my heels striking the chainstay where it flairs out. I'm considering shorter cranks (currently 172.5mm) but a short chainstay extension would be another fix.

mzweili

Guru
CHAINSTAY EXTENSION

attached you find a manufacturing drawing (metric or imperial) for an individual chain-stay extension.
The extension length should be less than 100mm (4 inches).
A smooth surface finish is important for the strength of this part.
Be aware that you take full responsibility by adding this part on your bike.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
gage insterest

Any one that thinking they might want a shorter extension. Go ahead and email bob (at) mylifeinrecline.com

I do work with several cnc shops and might do a milling or laser run with anodized finish. So if anyone else thinks they want a 60 or 50mm part you could bundle in with me. Obviously not sanctioned and at your own risk.

ratz

MZ,
I noticed there is a

MZ,

I noticed there is a missing angle dimension on your drawing.

ratz

How did you....

Steve,

How did you round the top out? Did you just eye ball it and do it by hand on a grinder?

The CNC guys are stumped on how they might machine that part of it.

-bob

scabinetguy

Round top

I milled the top with a 3/16 radius roundover bit which hits both top sides, then I used 3/16 corner bit and rounded the lower edges with the work piece on an angle. I still had to do some filing to get the right size. It's kind of tricky. The first one I made I did by hand. I've also made one that could be cut to size. Steve

JO_CONNOR

Scabinet Guy

So I'm curious about this 50mm extension for my S1.0. Do you have these available or did you just do a one-off?

Ratz - Also question for you: your contacts at purelycustom.com: have they done this 50mm extension - or even a 60mm would likely work for my geometry?

Thanks!

ratz

"Too hard" to machine

The CNC shops I spoke to couldn't come up with a way to machine to round connector consistently so we abandoned the effort to make a machined run.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Finally I got a

Finally I got a speedo fitted, with a cadence-meter, and that was not easy. Near my home is a long, straight, flat road, like an aircraft runway. Today the wind is light and blowing across the road, so I decided to do a test. I went along the road, turned round and went back again, like they do in the speed-record. It was not a speed-record, though, but comfortable speed, like rando.

18.5 mph comfortably for 2.25 miles. I felt as though I could keep that up for a long way.

I went down the road and back, and then the cadence-meter stopped working and started falling off.

I have XX1 and Raceface 44t ring and 165 cranks. Cadence was 90 or almost, and I was in 8th gear.

I might try using this road for a longer run, when I get this speedo fixed properly.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I am considering replacing

I am considering replacing these Hope brakes with Hylex. I think I might want bigger rotors than the supplied ones. What would happen if I combined non-TRP rotors with Hylex calipers? Would there be some kind of organ-rejection between the rotors and the pads? Thank you in advance for the wisdom of all you who have done this sort of thing loads of times.