It is official. New UMCA records for Cruzbike

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
.. and for me!

I am glad to announce that UMCA has certified my record attempts of 100Km and 100Miles back on August 6.

Larry Oslund, 58, Hendersonville, North Carolina
Unfaired Recumbent
Ed Rudolph Velodrome, Northbrook, Illinois
August 6, 2017
Officials: John Burrell, Mike Mowett, Daryl Hanger
Crew: Florian Kowalik

Official Time for 100 Miles is 3:48:10.08
This will be a new UMCA record.

Official time for 100 Km is 2:19:33.21
This will be a new UMCA record.

Really excellent pace!

UMCA Records Chairman
Drew Clark

Here are the links to the actual UMCA pages
100K - https://www.ultracycling.com/record/larry-oslund-100-km-outdoor-track-record/
100 Miles - https://www.ultracycling.com/record/larry-oslund-100-mile-outdoor-track-record/

Here is the download link to my complete write-up with pictures of course.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6l8ccbp3peo2r10/Larry Oslund - Aug 6 2017 UMCA record attempt.pdf?dl=0

PeteClark

When my V gets up to 27 mph, briefly, and only with a tail wind or downslope, I think, "this is Larry's cruising speed on a flat track!"

jond

Zen MBB Master
Great achievement well done Larry

All that hard work and determination paying off.

Cool.

You have really found another level eking out more speed

Super cool

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Congrats. Guess you can do it again with the Giro MIPS Vanquish and beat your old record. Apparently it's ventilation is better and doesn't fog up. I read your write up too. It's quite a team effort to take that record so congrats to your crew.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
When my V gets up to 27 mph, briefly, and only with a tail wind or downslope, I think, "this is Larry's cruising speed on a flat track!"
I wonder what his heart rate is... let's see if posted on strava 158bpm average topping at 167 so it certainly wasn't a walk in the park. Great effort. I love how Larry put that bike together too. :cool: :cruzbike::cruzbike::cruzbike::rolleyes:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Congratulation.
I can see that front end of the bike is Cruzbike but back end is some custom made frame. Tell us more, please, @LarryOz .

LarryOz

Thanks everyone. It was a huge group effort. Just like RAAM - you can't really do it all alone.
To answer your question Matěj: The back end is a prototype Vendetta frame designed and built by Charlie and Thom Ollinger (Charlie used to race on Vendettas a while back and is as strong as a ox!) Anyway - Cruzbike purchased the bike from Thom. It has a longer wheel base than the stock Vendetta and also makes it much easier to install any other seat at pretty much any angle you want. I have it installed at about 2 degree right now. That is probably almost too flat for normal riding, plus the hip angle makes it really really hard to make power. It is a trade off - better aerodynamics sometimes sacrifice the ability to make and sustain power (and to even breathe effectively). DF's have the same issue when they are laying over their bikes at such extreme angles. The can get almost as good a Cda as a bent, but then they can't make as much power. I think the Stock Vendetta has almost that magical formula at 20 degrees. When you get much below 15 if starts drastically affecting things like power production, breathing, oh yeah and vision. It is always good to see where you are going. Maybe on a track it is OK, but on an open road, it make it more challenging to look for road hazards and also riding with others.

BJ686

Thanks everyone. It was a huge group effort. Just like RAAM - you can't really do it all alone.
To answer your question Matěj: The back end is a prototype Vendetta frame designed and built by Charlie and Thom Ollinger (Charlie used to race on Vendettas a while back and is as strong as a ox!) Anyway - Cruzbike purchased the bike from Thom. It has a longer wheel base than the stock Vendetta and also makes it much easier to install any other seat at pretty much any angle you want. I have it installed at about 2 degree right now. That is probably almost too flat for normal riding, plus the hip angle makes it really really hard to make power. It is a trade off - better aerodynamics sometimes sacrifice the ability to make and sustain power (and to even breathe effectively). DF's have the same issue when they are laying over their bikes at such extreme angles. The can get almost as good a Cda as a bent, but then they can't make as much power. I think the Stock Vendetta has almost that magical formula at 20 degrees. When you get much below 15 if starts drastically affecting things like power production, breathing, oh yeah and vision. It is always good to see where you are going. Maybe on a track it is OK, but on an open road, it make it more challenging to look for road hazards and also riding with others.

Congrats on the records Larry! Just a thought, but in respect of your concerns on the hip angle above, I wonder if the large chainstay would help close the hip angle without sacrificing much aero. I just switched from a regular to a large chainstay and have noticed an improvement in both aero and closed hip angle, although I am 6' tall so I think the large is an overall better fit for me anyway. It may be too extreme for someone shorter and harm visibility (which sounds like is already a challenge on that bike if you are riding at 2 degrees!).

LarryOz

Yeah this seat is almost, flat - probably why so arrow, and probably why harder to make the power. See the V20 (below) at about 20 degrees and then the Arrowhead that is about at 15 degrees. The Arrowhead is the most Aero and the bike I used to average 31.8mph for a 10Mile TT. This proves that you don't need to be perfectly flat to be aero. (Yes, I still cringe when I see that long chain!) I need to figure out how to get that recipe on the Vendetta now. Sounds like winter project and learning how to do CF. Rick -come visit me and help!

Frank.jpg
RAAM V20.jpg Arrowhead.jpg

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I realized that Vendetta's 20 degrees does not work for me. I cannot ride comfortable with headrest on Czech roads. So I have Thor seat and my final angle is ~4 degrees higher from original. The bike is definitely slower on flats but I can produce more power on up hills, I see road much better and my cornering is much better.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Congrats Larry! So the UMCA are considerably less annoyed by Larry than the UCI were by Faure.

Yes, a really flat seat, and the handlebars are right in your guts. Must be difficult getting on and off.