It's Mallet Season

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I may follow your lead by moving my DS-500 Taillight off the Race Case and onto the headrest bars, probably farther back so the light can be seen from both sides. I think a DF rider drafting will prefer having the flashing lights blocked by the box.

Thought about that too. The Cateye H34 probably needed to get to stay put further up the pipe. Probably going to pick up more road debris on the lenses but the light is tough and and probably handle it.

When the H34 get's here I'll do the other bike higher up. and compare.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Thought about that too. The Cateye H34 probably needed to get to stay put further up the pipe. Probably going to pick up more road debris on the lenses but the light is tough and and probably handle it.

When the H34 get's here I'll do the other bike higher up. and compare.
I have mounted my DS-400 on top of the headrest, on the horizontal section, to be closer to an Aussy car drivers eye height, but not a US SUV truck height!
It does allow me to rotate it down if a cyclist is following!
2017-03-06 20.58.532017-03-06 20.58.53.jpg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Getting close to done; shop migrated back to the garage with the arrival of warm weather.

The olde Silvio got a face lift that will be getting some testing

New Ritchey EvoMax Handlebars; disabled Shock, Reynolds 40mm wheels, and a Vendetta Medium Chain Stay.

Test ride around the block and she's stiff and quick. Power testing to follow.
It's odd to ride on; don't think I rode it once last years (daughter rides it now) feels like I'm sitting bolt upright.

View attachment 4621 View attachment 4620
I hope you do not ride past someone with Epilepsy as they would have a fit!

super slim

Zen MBB Master

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I may follow your lead by moving my DS-500 Taillight off the Race Case and onto the headrest bars, probably farther back so the light can be seen from both sides. I think a DF rider drafting will prefer having the flashing lights blocked by the box.
For those interested in an option for mounting a camera, I hobbled together aluminum strips mounted to the brake tabs. This has held up very well and the video is much smoother than when mounted on the headrest or box.
Holy crow! Did the trail makers run into a fire sale for bollards or were they expecting the occasional Panzer attack? I used to b*tch about a single row of bollards across our trail head...no more!
I've got my DS-500 hanging off the race-case post in back. I don't exactly like the mount I cobbled up and I haven't routed my cable thru the case...yet. However, it is working fine and hasn't shown any signs of falling off.

ratz

Ok Fly6 and Taillight mounting solved.

For the fly6 I need Qty 3, 3D printed parts from shapeways, not expensive, but not cheap. Good solution and it's solid and protects the expensive light. Not sure what will happen in a real non accident crash hopefully that remains a mystery.

Legacy version
https://www.shapeways.com/product/EERSEPZLS/gopro-custom-quad-screwed-mount?optionId=43341438
https://www.shapeways.com/product/W72QV4M4X/gopro-offset-mount-center-your-lens?optionId=11987254
https://www.shapeways.com/product/6XN2NZX7J/cycliq-fly6-compact-gopro-mount-w-lug?optionId=60801292

New Velcro Version (strap to arm)
https://www.shapeways.com/product/T2PLCPWRZ/gopro-mount-52-mm-extension?optionId=8230256
https://www.shapeways.com/product/EERSEPZLS/gopro-custom-quad-screwed-mount?optionId=43341438
https://www.shapeways.com/product/W72QV4M4X/gopro-offset-mount-center-your-lens?optionId=11987254

The offset piece does double duty. First it gets you the extra knuckle you need to get the proper final angle. Second it lets you shift the light closer to the center line when mount near the top of the seat. This offset leave room for a go-bolt for each removal in both cases without the bolt sticking out past the seat.

I need to order the correct stainless steel bolt now but here's my prototype mount with junk bolts.

IMG_6207.jpg
IMG_6208.jpg

IMG_6209.jpg

IMG_6212.jpg

I moved the Safety light to the right hand side to make room for the fly6. I want to give the fly6 the best line of sight for license plates; and perspective on too close passes. The Design Shine light on the other side handles the 2 mile back punch; and as people get close during a pass they won't get blind by the light because at about 30 ft or so they light will be blocked by the bike. Win win win.

IMG_6214.jpg

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6217.jpg IMG_6215.jpg

On the back of the tail box I'm thinking in BIG lettering; "LIVE STREAMING CAMERA IN USE"

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
On the back of the tail box I'm thinking in BIG lettering; "LIVE STREAMING CAMERA IN USE"
Really really big lettering. Or: "If you can read this, please consider donating in lieu of flowers"

Neat installation and well thought out. Thanks!

ratz

Ok so you want do GoPro or use Go Pro mounts while you ride?

@Rick Youngblood solve the boom ages ago with this find:
https://axiaalloys.com/Misc-Accessories/Gopro-Camera-Mount-Satin-Clear-Black

And the 3-D printing takes care of out behind from under the seat see:
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/its-mallet-season.11571/page-5#post-133741
IMG_6236.jpg

And now thanks to this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272292743301?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

IMG_6235.jpg

The tailbox give you 4 more place to put camera and other go pro bracket compatible devices
IMG_6229.jpg IMG_6229.jpg IMG_6231.jpg IMG_6230.jpg IMG_6232.jpg IMG_6233.jpg IMG_6234.jpg

ratz

Ventisit Headrest Pad prototypes have arrived

Compatible with:

1) The tall legacy headrest
2) The new shorter headrest
3) Can be use with or without the Cruz bike sock (old or new style)
4) In the sock it can be used with or without the base dense foam layer.
5) The new tailbox

People with the new adjustable headrest there are tons of existing Ventisit pads for Adem that will work

If you don't reset your head on the very top of the head rest you leave the top flared for helmet clearance
If you do rest your head on the very top flat part you can make it have more padding but tucking the wings in at the top using zip strips or moving the velcro straps

Road testing pending; once I get Bart @ Ventisit the feedback they will be available in his store or it will get another rev, so far it passes the sit in the garage on it test. This is not a Cruzbike project just something I wanted for myself and an option for RAAM. Bart's be very accommodating as always.

Test units distributed to several people as well.

IMG_6246.jpg IMG_6247.jpg IMG_6250.jpg IMG_6248.jpg
IMG_6249.jpg

Also testing the "thin" V20 pads which are now wider at the top to help with shoulder comfort.

Last edited:

ratz

Ok an some last updates on this winter work.
Raam prep is heating up and I need to set the camera down and the wrench for a while.

Here's the other info

Handlebars

I brought in all those one that you saw Larry test; and did extensive comparisons. The winners were of coure the very last ones I ordered the Ritchey Logic Cross bike bars. (There was on hyper cool areo carbon set; those are in route to Larry for eval)

The winners are

Sizing:
  • Both required a small trimming of the bar end with a pipe cutter; just over ¾ inch to get wrist clearance.
  • As far as relative size of the two. The 42cm VentureMax = 44cm Evo Max for Leg clearance, the EvoMax is more Aero, the VentureMax more versatile

Which ones are we using and why

First the EvoMax:
For small people and for race day on a track the winner is the is the Evo Max which gets your brifters straight ahead; leg clearance a plenty and enough reach to setup a straight arm position and a powerful elbow in the ribs positions ; On the hoods you either have a small break in the wrist or you have to live with the brifters up in the air. Pluckyblond is riding the Evo Max 42cm on her race bike on her trainer (which our small person demo bike) she has 44cm . The Silvio in our garage has the Evo Max 46cm which our daughter rides, I can ride and we use for demos for people up to 6'5" the 46cm is a BIG bar. 46cm bar has plenty of forgiveness room for beginners. PB could race the the 40cm if it was a TT with limited sharp turn.

Second the Venturemax
For bigger people or people that like 3 hand positions the VentureMax is a welcome new bar.
My V20 race bike has the 42cVentureMax on it; my Trainer has the 44cm version on it; A large 6'5 person would likely be comfortable riding on these 44cm, the 46cm where ridiculously large for me; but I think someone of @Abbott Smith's stature would find them excellent; especially the 3rd hand position.

Pluckyblond opted for the EvoMax because you likes to grip the bars in a closed fist and the venturemax curve was too sharp. I grab with just my finger from the nuckles forward and was find with both. Bar tape thickness might have solved that problem for her.

For both bars you probably can get away with 1 size smaller that you think you could because the flare on each reduces leg interference.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
You should really consider getting a pair of ESI chunky or super chunky Mtb grips and sidling them on. Feels good in the hands and cuts down on vibration.

ratz

And the last of it..

1) Water Bladders and the tail box these fit nicely

• The same capacities in the new crux ones do not fit nearly as nice. The non mil spec ones are a bit thin to go in the tailbox with other items; without some sort of extra protective cover. I did cover the sharp bits in the tailbox with Surgo to prevent punctures.
  • The Hose from the milspec ones is not bike friendly but the Crux hoses are compatible.
**** Need to find a away to easily refill the bladder through the drinking whose

2) Magnets and the tailbox
  • Removed most of the external magnets from the talbox
  • Left all the internal ones to do thing like add to drink hose and use to help keep that in place.
  • Left magnetics on the removeable lid as it helps it find it's spot
  • Upgraded velcro that holds the water bottle cover on to the super think super grippy fabric grade velcro; big improvement in stick and fit.
  • Modified a Bontrager food back to velcro to the top of the tailbox for long rides
IMG_6251.jpgIMG_6253.jpg IMG_6254.jpg IMG_6252.jpg IMG_6257.jpg

4) There are a couple things I can't show in the pictures but with the T50 launch humming things might move on those fronts.

5) The Flo wheels are a bust for now. The second set of carbon 90mm are not working tubeless. Flo is trying hard but I think I'm out of time, they get it fixed but I will be trying something else. If I here more I will update.

6) I'll proof read the thread and fix it in the coming days.

ratz

You should really consider getting a pair of ESI chunky or super chunky Mtb grips and sidling them on. Feels good in the hands and cuts down on vibration.

That's an idea; since both are crossbike bars they have a narrow diameter. I'm guessing they would be available in that form factor.

Last edited:

Dave Arnold

Ventisit Headrest Pad prototypes have arrived

Compatible with:

1) The tall legacy headrest
2) The new shorter headrest
3) Can be use with or without the Cruz bike sock (old or new style)
4) In the sock it can be used with or without the base dense foam layer.
5) The new tailbox

People with the new adjustable headrest there are tons of existing Ventisit pads for Adem that will work

If you don't reset your head on the very top of the head rest you leave the top flared for helmet clearance
If you do rest your head on the very top flat part you can make it have more padding but tucking the wings in at the top using zip strips or moving the velcro straps

Road testing pending; once I get Bart @ Ventisit the feedback they will be available in his store or it will get another rev, so far it passes the sit in the garage on it test. This is not a Cruzbike project just something I wanted for myself and an option for RAAM. Bart's be very accommodating as always.

Test units distributed to several people as well.

View attachment 4738 View attachment 4740 View attachment 4741 View attachment 4739
View attachment 4742

Also testing the "thing" V20 pads which are now wider at the top to help with shoulder comfort.

What are the "thing" V20 pads?

Is this a Ventisit pad that will work on the new adjustable headrest (See link below)?

https://www.ventisit.nl/en/recumbent-bicycles#!/15x10x4-cm/p/28856148/category=6794045

Thank you

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
And the last of it..

1) Water Bladders and the tail box these fit nicely

• The same capacities in the new crux ones do not fit nearly as nice. The non mil spec ones are a bit thin to go in the tailbox with other items; without some sort of extra protective cover. I did cover the sharp bits in the tailbox with Surgo to prevent punctures.
  • The Hose from the milspec ones is not bike friendly but the Crux hoses are compatible.
**** Need to find a away to easily refill the bladder through the drinking whose
I think that Camelbak has adapters that will allow one to rig up a quick-disconnect. Not sure which is compatible with which though. Right now, I have a 2l funnel with clear tubing and a shut-off valve. I remove the 'bite valve' and slip the funnel's hose over the stub, burp the system and let it go. Fills quickly...but a little messy. I'd prefer the quick-disconnects.[/QUOTE]

Grey, white, black work very well with a "pop" color and I thought it was time to do some setups that demonstrate that.

looks very good, I did something similar with my Orbea before I sold it. Black CF with clear lacquer and red/white highlights, finished with red bar tape and cable outers. The guy I sold it to was drooling. ;)