Jim Parker Blog - AOMM

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Another great report Jim! Your posts are always a joy to read and really help me to feel like I was there.

http://cruzbike.com/assault-mt.-mitchell-2014

How well does the mass start work and is there any rule about who can be at the front of the mass other than just getting into place before everyone else starts showing up?

-Eric

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Mass Start

Eric,

When I rode The Assaults (AOMM 2011), starting position was basically first come-first serve with the exception of special guests, or pros. In 2011, Hincapie's Jr. team was there and they got the honor of leading us out.

In prior years, the start was broken into stations as I understand, but I am not sure how position was determined.

Most cyclists self-select their position by their ability -- perceived or otherwise.

jphipps

Lake Tahoe Ride

05395ffa5-7afa-0000.jpg

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Agreed!

It was a good read, indeed. I would LOVE to know what their average climbing speeds were on the last 4 miles and also how Bill's Hill was.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
WOW!!!

Reading the article and trying to fathom 102 miles with 11,000 feet of climbing and long grades of 8-10%. My hat's off to Maria and Charlie - absolutely an mazing feat!