Just Ordered the Silvio 2.0 Frameset

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Wow! JT, this looks like a

Wow! JT, this looks like a very complex bicycle. Probably the production process is more complex than the V due to all those little bits and pieces. I can see you got rid of the little holes for attaching the seat back to the frame that were there on the prototype. Now it is just Velcro like the V 2.0?

Looking forward to seeing one fully assembled in action soon.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Lay it out logically

It is a lot of parts, that's true.

They could be organised more logically. The above is the layout done in the factory. The way I lay it out, it shouldn't look so complex. If you have a Silvio 1.0 or 1.5,the 2.0 will all seem very familiar.

The major parts and where they go
20130415_113549_annot.jpg

Chainstays and bolts
20130415_115805_annot.jpg

Headrest
20130415_112726_annot.jpg

The tricky Titanium link for the rear suspension - left assembles to frame, right assembles to rear stay
20130415_161353_annot.jpg

Other small parts for steering and boom
20130415_115547_annot.jpg

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Which main tube decal

Which main tube decal positioning are you using? I see two different setups in these photos.

Also I suggest identifying and clarifying the use of the inline cable adjusters and whatever those other doohickeys are next to them. I know John D received these in his Vendetta package and I see you are now including them in the Silvio. What are those other doohickeys and what are they used for?

Doohickeys
tongue_smile.gif
:

Doohickeys.png

-Eric

pRC

Frameset Weight?

Yarp, very interested in the new Silvio --

Finished a 50 miler in the mountains on Saturday (Blood Sweat and Gears in Boone NC), and it's time for a better climbing 'bent!

Can you tell us what the basic frameset weighs?
(frame, fork, seat, headrest, rear suspension, handlebars, etc. - but no components or wheels)

And how does the new design weight compare to the Vendetta frame, and to the Silvio 1.5?

And, (annoying question number 3) when will they be 'in stock' over here in the USA?

Here's a hope that there is not a shipping container on a ship in the delivery chain, but I guess that is most economical.

/pRC

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Hi pRC, 
There should be

Hi pRC,

There should be little difference from the previous model, perhaps 300 grams lighter. So 6.2 kg before wheels and components.

Vendetta builds are getting under 10 kg, Silvio with dual suspension adds about 1.5 kg.

We are drop shipping direct from Taiwan, since if we are careful we can pack the frameset into a pretty small box. So now, deliveries are within 7 days of order.

pRC

Thanks!

Some beautiful design work on the new frame -- still a bit worried about the one-size-fits-all seat; I spoke with Maria Parker last year about a test ride and I plan to get back in touch (but will give the Parker family a suitable recovery period for the after her amazing effort).

As an industrial designer gone bad (now a software guy) I know how much work it takes to make iterative changes to a design, but I think it is the best way to get it right in the long run and I applaud your persistence. I love the idea of the road suspension recumbent and the addition of a lower position should make it more attractive to folks like me who cannot quite get over their speedy DF road bike hubris.

I had reconstructive surgery on my right shoulder in May 2012 (DF/inattentive car accident) and I almost pulled the card out on a Silvio last Summer. Was trussed up tightly for a couple of months before I could start physical therapy, so instead I bought a Performer high racer and spun away for 3 months on a training stand. I've been out on the road for nearly 1000 miles now, and I think I'm ready to graduate from my 'learner' recumbent. I plan to use the new bike mostly as a commuter, I have a nice 17 mile ride to work (39 round trip with a different return route) two-three days a week, plus evening and weekend rides/light touring.

Yeah, yeah, too much information!

We live about 2 hours away from Lumberton NC, so your info about shipping works into my calculations for when they may have a ridable example on-hand...

Looking forward to a test ride in a month or so -

/pRC

iow

brakes and bottles

hi everyone - first time poster here.
just ordered a silvio 2.0 frame kit.
will it accept a standard rear brake caliper or do i need a time trial type low profile one?
also, is there any provision for bottle cage mounting on the boom?
thanks
mark

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
hey prc

I live about two hours from Lumberton also. If you find yourself in my area, I would be happy to let you try out my Silvio 1.0.

Ivan

Guru
The Silvio 2.0 has landed on

The Silvio 2.0 has landed on my doorstep in Singapore, 2 days after leaving Taiwan! Box in excellent condition. Have not opened yet though as I am terribly busy this weekend and dunno when I get to build it as I am going overseas next week! :(

it accepts standard brake calipers, all standard components except possibly longer chain if you are using chainstay extension.

kenhardwick

bottle cage mounting on the boom?

Per Mark's Question...
"also, is there any provision for bottle cage mounting on the boom?"

In previous versions of the Silvio, bottle cage mounting were provided in the bottom "metal" seat. I believe the seat is fiberglass in newer version and not sure if mounting holes are provided. Most likely are though.

Do not believe you would want to add the additional weight of water bottle to your front boom.

I actually wear a hiking belt with a water bottle holder. Works great for me. See image below.

KenHardwickTourOfWichitasStart.jpg height:735px;

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
That is a good shot of you

That is a good shot of you Ken. I was wondering how those arm rests would look with you on the bike - pretty cool. What happens when you do really tight turns?

-Eric

iow

thanks for the info ivan and

thanks for the info ivan and ken.
frame currently sitting in uk customs....

kenhardwick

What happens when you do really tight turns?

Eric, Hasn't been an issue over the 3000+ miles I've gone with the arm rest attached. Not sure I could keep my balance when turning any sharper than these allow anyway. At this point in time, I WOULD NOT want to ride my Cruzbike Silvio without my arm rest.

Ivan

Guru
There are no cage mounting

There are no cage mounting holes on my Silvio 2.0 boom. Unfortunately neither are there on the fiberglass seat. The description on the Silvio page indicates there are but this has probably not been updated.

iow

that's a shame no provision

that's a shame no provision has been made for cage mounting, but i am sure it can easily be easily resolved.
is the seat not carbonfibre, as per the description?

Jeremy S

Dude
Mark, I unpacked my seat this

Mark, I unpacked my seat this morning and it appears to be carbon fiber on the top, fiberglass on the bottom. You can see Eric's pictures in the Vendetta forum, Vendetta 2.0 unboxing and build thread (sticky thread). My Silvio 2.0 seat looks the same.

It looks like Ken's arms are

94It looks like Ken's arms are a lot more bent than mine are when I ride my Silvio. My arms are nearly straight when I ride. I'm not sure if his arms are longer than mine, or if his handlebars are that closer to his chest. Maybe a little of both.

IOW, I think the best thing you can do with regards to water and the Silvio is a use a Camelbak in a bag behind the seat how Ken has it mounted, or use a rack with trunk bag. I have a rack with a trunk bag and it works great. I can carry enough water for a Century, and still have room for spare tires, tools, etc. I used to have bottles mounted behind the seat but did not like that as they were hard to reach. It is so convenient to have the camelbak tube just sitting on my chest while I ride.

rack
http://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Journey-Tubular-Alloy-Black/dp/B002994ES4

bag
http://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Columbus-DLX-Trunk-Bag/dp/B004YIC0IO

Note: This rack and trunk bag are on a Silvio 1.5. I don't know if they will be compatible with the 2.0's.

iow

thanks jeremy
i thought the

thanks jeremy
i thought the carbon sheathed fibreglass seats were pre-production items.
my frame kit is still sitting in uk customs, so i will have to wait and see when it arrives, but there is a big difference in cost, weight and desirability between the two.