Kit Needed...I know, the impossible dream!

John Axen

I am in need of either a new or used Cruzbike conversion kit as I may have scored the perfect donor frameset. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, John

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Hi John,

Welcome! Where are you located? My avatar is a conversion kit from a small Trek frame - works pretty well.

(It might help to put "Conversion Kit" in the title, just for clarification. Some people call the stuff they wear "kit". I'm just getting used to that terminology.)

Cheers,
Ben.

Tuloose

Guru
I volunteer at our town's bicycle collective and we have a CB conversion kit for sale, never used and still in a box.
We usually don't advertise or do any shipping but we might make an exception for this kit.
I'll have to talk to the shop manager to see what we can do.

Miek

Tuloose-
If it turns out John's not interested in your CruzBike Conversion Kit, I'm interested.

Thanks,
Drew

jmhof

I am also very interested. If anybody knows of anybody selling a conversion kit (new or used) I will buy it and have FedEx come pick it up.

jmhof

I ran a :want to buy" ad in Craigslist to find a kit, and just found one locally. I already told the seller yesterday that I would likely buy it next week. The price is right and it looks to be in great shape.....but it is mounted on a bike I would need to trash because they modified the bike (cut off the seat post) to fit the kit and I do not like the bike. So, I would still like to know what you are asking since I could still switch my plans at this point. Thank you very much for responding.

Tuloose

Guru
We checked over the CB kit and I was wrong about it being new.
It had been mounted once but is in good shape although missing 2 pieces.
Comparing it to an old parts list for the kit we see it is missing the axle to adapt the front wheel to the rear of the donor bike.
It also seems to be missing a shim collar for the steering tube although the steering fork tube on the kit fits perfectly on a one & 1/8 inch fork in our shop.
We assume the collar is to adapt the kit to a bike with a 1 inch fork steering tube.
If your donor bike has a one & 1/8" fork you should be fine.
The longer axle can be purchased easily. You will need to take up the space difference between the 100mm front spacing and the 135mm or larger rear with a couple extra nuts and washers.
We figured $140 for the kit as is and the offer to send FedEx to pick it up from the shop is very attractive.
We have the box and can pack it for pick up.
Here is our info:
http://corvallisbikes.org/
The week day shop manager (czar) is Ron Georg and he can be reached at the shop # during business hours, usually 12 to 4 pm Pacific Time.

7d1-mZjbVH1k7W08OGOqoCD_yPgDYkG23ib6BzpxfFsVkr7kuU3MtqkAAki8TfKG1Tpi-2DauqrDHZmKXoa28aQ-HgdmCdNFSvqPPaokv76CWw2gPEYukbKyi5PS_Y7Jt6Ts71QqhVJ_Jo4QnDQtj57IQjr23F85s2JgjbTNE1bwIXAh4aSfER6ad6ctguAoCHA6Rt5gnwdvS9OU0Cw-dY2--oXHO8QQSOQi97mbX3mGLO_8PIEHWhuP1ftFiJbPvZ2f7ForL5IB-MO4B1P2C0AyZBu5w9uWocpeISBEhQg90PTbPpLmAp5LyFO7wJHYbYnR0ZUBF_uEBXM3AYurW3efnc5AUiEFNq4LgSa6auufXRinzzFYAm7cnZxDG_Y5uRcS82V1GETVBzl4hMwSQfPA8T1WWqPjJSAHGte52n-vz4W6xElxTfhQjzys8U8OdPzTz-kDsoiIdweJDJkGo6nq4RH7786XvNmzGa7JxzVnfbVilIs6vhVSZoes6TxzPH1IKiVrMhsL0Bf3P6nmWk-EZeV0g-VwYI-I5H_WsVMiW_7lMLh_u6bqBzdtNGnnRkbkoWC9v7S4S9HCMMvAEjVSVbdf6gnzN1GRGkrERgvmxMD61iFcbVqzxgErR0VQYALXSVbJ5UIlwJIt3xIA9W87WYrHmIzR=w1213-h909-no

John Axen

I volunteer at our town's bicycle collective and we have a CB conversion kit for sale, never used and still in a box.
We usually don't advertise or do any shipping but we might make an exception for this kit.
I'll have to talk to the shop manager to see what we can do.
Sorry for the late reply as I attempted to reply to the email before I read the instructions. Yes, I am interested if still available. Thanks

jmhof

Looks like there is a lot of demand for this kit, and John has the first shot at it since he started the forum. However, if he decides not to take it, please let me know.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I assume John doesn't want two?

In that case the kit I have will be available, depending on what John says. Mine does seem to be somewhat used, but good condition.

Tuloose

Guru
Someone called about the kit but got Daniel, the weekend manager who didn't know about what I posted here.
I was in the shop yesterday and spoke to Daniel.
The kit is still available. Come by and check it out during shop hours.

John Axen

To all those wonderful people who responded to my search for a conversion kit and those still in search of one. A new found friend has made a literally new Quest available to me in order to quench my thirst at a price I could not pass up. So, those kits offered up will probably be available. Let the carnage begin. I will probably still want to build with a conversion kit down the road but not at this time. I apologize for the chaos. I am dealing with the cold weather assembling the quest and hope to give it a test ride and fine tuning in the next week or so...they say we have snow coming the next few days...OH BOY! Thanks to everybody who gave good input and encouragement.