LEL 2017

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I am registred for London-Edinburgh - London 2017.
Registration was like adrenalin sport. Will it pass or not. I succeeded in last sale this mornings.
Is there any other member of tribe who is gouing to participate in LEL 2017?

LMT

Yep, as a member of AUK I got a place automatically. Mid February as I understand is when you'll be sent a log in for when you can choose your start time, order jersey/gilet etc.

Will probably go for a latish morning start - 0800-0900 hrs. I live about a 40 minute ride to the start so that is nice. Have also butchered the route somewhat so it takes in way more main roads which are easier to ride then what is the recommended route. Whilst I like Audax riding, the vast majority in the UK is undertaking on roads that are not that good. Certainly not on par with the roads that PBP were on.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Yep, as a member of AUK I got a place automatically. Mid February as I understand is when you'll be sent a log in for when you can choose your start time, order jersey/gilet etc.

Will probably go for a latish morning start - 0800-0900 hrs. I live about a 40 minute ride to the start so that is nice. Have also butchered the route somewhat so it takes in way more main roads which are easier to ride then what is the recommended route. Whilst I like Audax riding, the vast majority in the UK is undertaking on roads that are not that good. Certainly not on par with the roads that PBP were on.

Yikes I driven that in a car on the "good" roads albeit in the winter. You guys will have you hands full but if I recall that's a lot of nice scenery to distract you from the vibrations.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Well, I am now a registered AUK member. I registered for interest in LEL but does that mean all the places have been filled already???
Wow ... Just entered the LEL, well it's on my AUK event list but I haven't paid. Guess I get invoiced later.

Last edited:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I am reading details of start and I have found this great news:
  • for early start your speed limit is 14 kph, for later starts it is only 12 kph, so later start is mine ;)
  • it is possible to form groups and start in one desired time, so I would create Cruzbike group
  • speed limit is for whole route, not like on PBP for each checkpoint, so you can sleep at first night and catch speed limit later

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Does it mean that route is not mandatory?

DavidCH

I will try to find out. I want to be be a semi pro photographer this year so not going too fast gives me a chance to take some fotos. :cool:

LMT

Does it mean that route is not mandatory?

Correct, unlike audaxes in Europe, in the UK the recommended route is not compulsory. So as long as your route takes in the controls at the respective times and comes in at over 1400kms then you are good to go.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Correct, unlike audaxes in Europe, in the UK the recommended route is not compulsory. So as long as your route takes in the controls at the respective times and comes in at over 1400kms then you are good to go.
I was only once in UK. I don't know UK road system and I was never riding/driving there so I will stick to reccomended route. But It is good to know that it is not mandatory.
Czech roads are not good and as I am getting older I like riding on small roads with sparse traffic more and more. So my V is prepared for this - 28 mm tubeless tires, Thor seat with ICE headrest, you know :)

DavidCH

How is it all looking chaps? I took a fall a few weeks back and not on form. Just rented the documentary and seen all the wonderful challenges. It's certainly up there for lifetime experiences.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I am finishing my own bike light powered by dynamo. I hope that this week it will be complete. I ride as much as possible. Lest five days I was riding in Tirol Alps so I have some real hills in my legs :)

DavidCH

Looking at the long range weather forecast the temperature is going to be in the higher twenties for London and 7 degrees for Scotland. LOL

DavidCH

I use el tiempo ... it works quite well for me. No one knows for sure what the last week in July will be. It's a bit like who will win TDF ... one assumes it will be Froome but no one knows. I have been watching stage 9 and those riders had a heart rate of 200 bpm ... must have been all that adrenaline doing 70kph on those hair pins. I can't see anything like that race ever happening in the USA. The only thing that comes close to it is Jason doing the downhills but with wet roads.... Perhaps not. Incredible risk...

LMT

0745hrs.

Happy with the bike set up, happy with the route, just want to get on and do the ride now.

Kenneth Jessett

0745hrs.

Happy with the bike set up, happy with the route, just want to get on and do the ride now.
I hope you have a good ride, and the weather holds off for it.

I am registered for the LEL - 9:45 start - but decided not to go this year, I find England just too depressing these days. I did drive part of the route last October - particlularly the Dales - and there is a treat in store for those who like short, sharp climbs. Good luck.

Reactions: LMT

LMT

I hope you have a good ride, and the weather holds off for it.

I am registered for the LEL - 9:45 start - but decided not to go this year, I find England just too depressing these days. I did drive part of the route last October - particlularly the Dales - and there is a treat in store for those who like short, sharp climbs. Good luck.

Thanks, and yes England is still a depressing place to ride a bike. only really doing this ride because I'm a member of AUK therefore I 'should' make the effort to do the ride. Only really have got going for this ride in the past couple of weeks reading various ride reports and watching some LEL vids on YouTube. In complete contrast to PBP in 2015 which I counted down the months too from the point of registering.

Ho hum, have carved the route up therefore reducing the amount of climbing by a fair whack. Going to ride to power, appox 150 watts NP per stage and keep religiously to my nutrition regarding taking on enough fluids and see what the ride brings.

Kenneth Jessett

Bon route! Good adventure and in may ways I envy you, but as said, too depressing to visit England this time around. I've had many conversations with the LEL 'money man - Roger Cortis' - who lives in the same county where I grew up - and discussions with him have convinced me to return next year in May to ride LeJog.

I'm not sure yet whether it will be ridden on one of my standard bikes or the Cruzbike. I think the standard bike may be better choice for bikepacking a thousand miles + the extra 150 miles to get me back to Inverness to rent a car for a few days.

Lee, let us know how your ride goes. Ken.

Reactions: LMT

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
0745hrs.

Damn. We will probubly not meet each other. I am plannig to ride slow.
My bike is almost ready. I have finished my dynamo powered light yesterday. But still have some work to do. Mount new tubeless tire what I haven't succedeed yesterday. Clean all my chains.

@leetaylor55 What will you pack to your drop bags?