LEL my half baked ride and report

LMT

As PBP is the blue riband event of the ACP, LEL is the blue riband event of Audax UK. Held every four years since 1989, the ride has grown in size with respect to numbers riding, the number of riders this year doubling from 2013.

Although the route has changed a few times the principle is the same, a ride that takes in the capitals of London and Edinburgh with the distance being 1400kms.

As a member of AUK I automatically got a place but the unique thing about LEL is that unlike PBP there is no qualification involved, no SR series needed. You pay your money and you get your place and because of this the event is heavily subscribed with places selling out in a matter of hours.

I must confess I do not have a love for LEL and still don't in some respects. For sure the organisation and volunteers are second to none but unlike PBP there is no passion from the locals, no song and dance at the controls. I might be slightly unfair using PBP as a benchmark but its my opinion.

LMT

The ride starts in Loughton which is north east London, travelling up the east coast of England taking in the Humber bridge after riding over the Lincolnshire Wolds. Some more gratuitous climbing before the climb over Yad Moss. Some more flat riding to Moffat before the climb and descent to Edinburgh. Then a few more climbs heading south through the borders before rejoining the route north of Yad Moss. Then the route south is the same apart from a small dog leg at the end.

I say gratuitous climbing because there is a fair amount on LEL. Unlike audaxes in the rest of Europe, in the UK you can free route between controls. Providing your route takes in the controls and comes in over distance than you ars good to go.

Because of this I choose to use mostly main roads where possible, tbey are roll faster unlike the lanes that will be used on the recommended route. My route would by pass the climbing of the Lincolnshire wolds and Howardian hills taking in a more recumbent friendly flatish main roads. Joining the recommended route through for the climb over Yad Moss and through Scotland.

Kenneth Jessett

Probably not in the same vein as your comments, but I decided not to travel to Britain for the LEL - although I am also a member of AUK, and paid my money to ride LEL - because I just couldn't stand being in Britain again. The roads are too crowded and far too many huge lorries on the narrow roads and as you say, there is no sympathy among Brits for cyclists. When you ride the LEL it doesn't feel as if you are part of an event, more like taking a ride by yourself. Anyway, hopefully those riders remaining from the original 1500 registered will feel a sense of accomplishment when they return to Loughton.