Let's talk wheels

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
All this talk about balancing wheels has me on a task.

What's a decent, light and strong wheel that will stand up to a clydesdale?

Currently running 32 spoke open pros. Not exactly cheap, but been bulletproof.

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I really like Velocity rims. Currently running 'Deep V' (30mm) but I like their 'Aileron' profile (28mm) too. Not quite as up-to-date with aerodynamics as the ones from Flocycling...and more $$ but you get lots of colors to choose from. I've got a set of Deep V 32s on my V2/k that I was riding @ well over 300lbs and they are still running true after 5 yrs of punishment.

Besides, they have a whole section dedicated to us! http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rim_applications/clydesdale

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Lightbicycle.com now do deep rims for tubeless tires. Great and cheap.

I just upgraded my 80mm deep rim drive wheel for $254 (which included shipping)
:D:cool:

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Good morning, folks! I love the chatter on wheels.

I forgot to add “inexpensive” to my qualifications on wheelsets. When I rode uprights, I had a tendency to be a little hard on wheels and seemed to have my best luck with 32 spoke hand-built wheels. Gosh, I always wanted to build my own and I bought books, watched videos and I have come to the conclusion that your good wheelbuilders have some voo-doo working in their favor.

I mean, I know that anybody can mechanically build a wheel. It’s just a matter of assembling parts, assuming you have the right parts. It just seems to be, though, that there is a mastery involved when it comes time to building and tuning a quality wheel. I think it’s a thing that comes about after having built several wheels, over a period of time.

Having said all that, I also believe that I’m not near as hard on wheels on my Silvio as I was on an upright. I think since I built the first one, I’ve broken just one spoke and that was not long after I had built it up. I attributed that breakage to damage done to the wheel while it was still on the donor upright.

On my former commuter Silvio, I even ran a set of ultra cheap e-bay wheels and did just fine, so I’m not sure just how demanding my big fat butt is on wheels, anymore. Maybe I should take a shot at building a set of wheels. Maybe I should just buy a set from one of the online discount places. I don’t really know, but I sure do enjoy seeing what you all have to say.

Thanks for your wisdom and encouragement.

Mark

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I just upgraded my 80mm deep rim drive wheel for $254 (which included shipping)
Let me know how you do with mounting the tubeless on these.
I have a set of 80mm Chinese "tubeless" rims, and I have yet to be able to mount ProOnes on it.
One bike shop tried and and failed. Another one "finally" got it, but they charged me extra for how much time it took.
I hope they have the profile correct now. ;)

DavidCH

Let me know how you do with mounting the tubeless on these.
I have a set of 80mm Chinese "tubeless" rims, and I have yet to be able to mount ProOnes on it.
One bike shop tried and and failed. Another one "finally" got it, but they charged me extra for how much time it took.
I hope they have the profile correct now. ;)
I will when I get it back from the LBS. The bike shop have already given a delay with the pro one mounting because they didn't have a suitable valve to put in the deep rim. So I guess it will cost some too. :rolleyes:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Since I entered this world as a mechanic, I always retain the notion that I should be building my own wheels. When motivated, I can be methodical, attentive to detail and focused; "motivated" being the operative word. I'm lazy...and the quintessential "mechanic who works on everybody else's stuff but his own" I'd rather pay somebody to do it (hopefully "right").

Building up a wheelset should be a fun project...and it doesn't require a large investment in tools. A buddy of mine wanted to build his own wheels up and I designed a truing fixture for him made out of a $10 donor bike (front fork inverted, clamped in a block of wood, sawed off the rear triangle, etc.) and some bits of wood he had lying around. Sure, there are details you need to work out and there are tricks of the trade. The net is full of videos and calculators and advice. The more you build, the better you'll get.

Will you save yourself any money? If you include your labor hours, maybe not for the first set or two! If your labor hours are free...you'll save a bit of cash.

DavidCH

My strong points is to out source and get experienced people to do their best for me. This includes anyone who is capable, be them anywhere in the Universe. LOL

I have a pretty impressive list. Lightbicycle.com do great rims and wheels.

If your LBS is great he should be able to whip off the old rim and put the new rim on in an hour. Mike (the guru) did it for me and only charged $40 and he didn't have to use any new sapim spokes.

I luv going at speed but I don't regard myself being proficient at building up a wheelset and aligning and balancing. I would rather trust someone else with that.

$40 well spent if you ask me.

If it was me I would probably break a number of the spokes and be short of patience.

Getting a subject matter expert gives you more time on the road.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
My strong points is to out source and get experienced people to do their best for me. This includes anyone who is capable, be them anywhere in the Universe. LOL

I have a pretty impressive list. Lightbicycle.com do great rims and wheels.

If your LBS is great he should be able to whip off the old rim and put the new rim on in an hour. Mike (the guru) did it for me and only charged $40 and he didn't have to use any new sapim spokes.

I luv going at speed but I don't regard myself being proficient at building up a wheelset and aligning and balancing. I would rather trust someone else with that.

$40 well spent if you ask me.

If it was me I would probably break a number of the spokes and be short of patience.

Getting a subject matter expert gives you more time on the road.

I tend to agree with your logic, where it comes to wheels. I can build a bike, no problem, but wheel building is best left to magicians. Mistakes get expensive quickly and any money you save doing it yourself, you throw right back into it... I don't know, maybe I should suck it up and give it a go. I'm just not that brave, I guess.

Mark

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I tend to agree with your logic, where it comes to wheels. I can build a bike, no problem, but wheel building is best left to magicians. Mistakes get expensive quickly and any money you save doing it yourself, you throw right back into it... I don't know, maybe I should suck it up and give it a go. I'm just not that brave, I guess.

Mark

Agreed. These days it's pick your budget; then pick your style (tube or tubeless) then pick the brand / builder that does it right, for the price you can stomach. Which of course means you spend more time on it than you hoped but not as much as your feared.