Lightweight sprocket cassette for S40

Luis Rives

All of the 10 speed sprocket cassettes, 11-36, are very heavy, and I mean almost a one pound hunk of metal. Is anyone aware of a light sprocket cassette in this range? I know the Shimano Dura Ace uses titanium rings to reduce the weight but the teeth range is only something like 11-27 or less. This big hunk of metal adds unnecessary weight to the front end.

Luis Rives

I use the SRAM XG-1080 (240g) on my S40, but they are not cheap. SRAM makes the XG-1099 even lighter (208g), but it's way expensive.
I looked at the big auction site and saw what you mean about the price. OTOH if one pays $2.3K for an S40 frame kit, by the time one is finished with the bike it will be $3K, what's $150-200 for a light cassette sprocket?

On another note, perhaps you also know of a light bicycle chain, probably pricey also. Thanks.

Luis Rives

That is almost a pound (454grams = 1 lb). There is a reason why the very expensive ones are so expensive and that is how they are constructed and the materials used with the goal of saving weight. It's the old adage "you get what you pay for". The issue is that because in Cruzbikes the front end is much heavier due to the what is essentially a pivoting triangle, any excessive weight is magnified and more noticeable that it would be on a DF where the rear wheel and the sprockets do not pivot about the frame.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The Shim XTR M980 10 speed 11-36 weights 265 gm 5 titanium rings, and cost $218 AU from Chain Reaction in Ireland

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Strong, light, cheap. Chose two, you cannot have all three.

The weight of the sprocket does not effect the steering much, because it is so close to the steering-axis. The weight that counts is the crankset etc, because it is waving around on the end of the boom.

I can't see you guys here, but where is there more weight to lose - rider or cassette?

Also thinking of a cassette as a wear part, needing regular replacement, probably more cost effective to lose weight on rims, brakes, levers, cranks...?

Luis Rives

I can't see you guys here, but where is there more weight to lose - rider or cassette?

Also thinking of a cassette as a wear part, needing regular replacement, probably more cost effective to lose weight on rims, brakes, levers, cranks...?
Great idea!!! I'll starve myself to 98 lbs and become the fastest rider in the pack!!!

Luis Rives

Worrying about cassette weight is somewhat silly. (It doesn't even really count as rotating mass because the radius is so small).
Good point. However, its about the total weight that has to be put into motion. A half pound here and there and pretty soon it adds up to some real weight savings!!

Great idea!!! I'll starve myself to 98 lbs and become the fastest rider in the pack!!!
you know that's not what I implied.

I regularly see 100kg+ riders (and it's not muscle) spending $$$$ on the high end components rather than their own fitness. I'm a 67kg, quite lean individual, but I know there is still more to do on fitness as well as bike weight.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I have the shimano dura ace 12-28 and it has titanium sprockets (but not all sprockets are titanium). I bought it off eBay for last year's Sebring and yes... it did seem expensive but I wanted to feel good. But if you haven't got ceramic Bottom Bracket I would spend the money on that first.

If it's a flat race , rolling hills and climbs weight matters. Ditch the kilos. Get aero.
Descents... well anything goes.

Usually the heavier the better.

Last edited:

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Good point. However, its about the total weight that has to be put into motion. A half pound here and there and pretty soon it adds up to some real weight savings!!

Half a pound here and half a pound there add up to 1 lbs.

Compared to the bike + rider total of at least 150 lbs for almost all of us (if not much more). Just isn't a big deal unless you're racing.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Can't fault someone for wanting what they want when it doesn't affect others.

Not sure I'd take one if those lightweight cassettes as I'm unsure they will wear slowly enough for me.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I have a SRAM 1099 one solid disco dancing billet bling cassette that I fitted once to the v to complement her SRAM redness. But it got a little dirty and that won’t do for a work of art . My wife forbade it. Now it’s in the bike draw of bling where occasionally the cave is basked in its frustrated over exorbitant glory . It never wears out.

The xtr 11-36 is nice and not so puff pastry expensive

Luis Rives

I managed to find a used xg1099 11-32 in the big auction site for a very reasonable price (50% of list) that appears to have been used just a couple of times. Weighs in at a trim 185g and will go into my S40 build. Expect to receive the kit tomorrow. Will post photos once everything is together.

Luis Rives

Half a pound here and half a pound there add up to 1 lbs.

Compared to the bike + rider total of at least 150 lbs for almost all of us (if not much more). Just isn't a big deal unless you're racing.
I hated that my Softrider front end is as heavy as if its made out of lead. So for my S40 build I am determined that its not going to be for my lack of trying to make it light.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I managed to find a used xg1099 11-32 in the big auction site for a very reasonable price (50% of list) that appears to have been used just a couple of times. Weighs in at a trim 185g and will go into my S40 build. Expect to receive the kit tomorrow. Will post photos once everything is together.

You know once you see it the cassette that is it will become your favourite paper weight. Lol. Good luck with the build. The s40 definitely is intriguing and is so versatile.