Maybe a new Cruz convert

I was at my Chiropractor this morning and we started discussing a Keto diet. I then talked about Ratz and the Sebring training plan where you guys also talked diet etc. The guy I was speaking with was doing laser therapy on my ankle. He is very interested in discussion or information on Keto and does follow that diet. Is it a bad idea to have him join the forum to talk with you smart guys about diet? I also bragged on the Cruzbike Sebring efforts!

I provided the Cruzbike website and offered to meet him and his wife (his wife is the Chiropractor) so they can try out the bike. He did seem interested and did visit the website. We shall see if they take me up on the offer. Right now, I have my Q559 and my S30 with me.

I am just now getting back on the bike after fracturing my left ankle. Two fractures (an avulsion fracture of the fifth metatarsal and a compression fraction of the fourth metatarsal) I decided to follow Maria's "couch to century" plan. Any advice on pedaling after an ankle fracture? I haven't clipped in since I thought that might be better but I am questioning that decision.

I wasn't sure where to put this topic so feel free to move it.

If it hurts, stop.
Spin until it hurts.
Thanks for the reply but it really never hurts when I ride. It hurts afterwards for several hours. I suppose I am just focused on the ride and fun. I think I'll build up slowly with rest, meds, and therapy between rides. The Doc said I couldn't do more damage so I'll tolerate the after ride discomfort. I might try an ankle stability brace to see if that helps. I am working on spinnng instead of mashing. I've mostly been a masher but this will give me a push towards spinning.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Thanks for the reply but it really never hurts when I ride. It hurts afterwards for several hours. I suppose I am just focused on the ride and fun. I think I'll build up slowly with rest, meds, and therapy between rides. The Doc said I couldn't do more damage so I'll tolerate the after ride discomfort. I might try an ankle stability brace to see if that helps. I am working on spinnng instead of mashing. I've mostly been a masher but this will give me a push towards spinning.

Ask the doctor but it sounds like the non-weight bearing activity of riding is why you can't do more damage and it's safe to ride. Hence no on bike pain. But then you get off and the muscles around the problem area are fatigued so you don't have as much supporting muscle to share the load. So you get pain.

If I overdo it my ACL will get sore because of years of abuse. when that happens I wrap it in a figure 8 ace-bandage. Couple hours later it's all good. Only hurts off the bike so very similar.

So what the doc suggests for post ride support of the angle. I'm assuming a traditional figure 8 wrap will suffice to support it while the fatigued muscle rebound.

Again not a doctor so see a real one :)

Mixerman

I'm coming off an ankle fracture as well (1 of the dozen broken bones I suffered in September). I started with just 10 minutes a few times, then 30 minutes, 45, and now an hour + is no problem. I found cycling greatly improved my walking by loosening the stiffness. Of course everyone's situation is different. I hope your ankle continues to improve and you fully recover.

The Brook

I had a tibial plateau fracture 2 years ago, had surgery for a plate and 9 screws, and was non weight bearing for 2 months and partial weight bearing for another 4 months while I did physio to get my strength back up. I got on a trainer in Nov of 2015, and gradually built up my strength until the spring of 2016, and then I was able to get back on my Freerider, but still could not push very hard, my leg was just too sore.

After consulting with my operating surgeon, we agreed to take out the plate and screws, this was done in July of 2016, and withing 2 weeks, I was back on the bike, and was able to gradually increase my power to the pedals, but I wasn't able to get back to full strength until this winter, using a recumbent trainer at the gym, so that when this spring came along, I was back to 100% effort.

I must say here that at the age of 62, it might have taken me longer than if I were in my 20's or 30's, but my leg is now back to approx 95%, I can do almost every thing except squats (and I'll admit they were difficult before my accident), I walk comfortably for extended periods.

My Physio's advice when I ended my rehab was to listen to my body, it would let me know how hard to push, and in my case, this was the right suggestion.

Hope you recover well,
Denis

Jeffrey Ritter

Here is a different reply: find a physical therapist that specializes in helping athletes! They really know their stuff and don't just follow protocol guidelines but really understand what a specific sport requires and how to help you recover best to engage in that sport. For me, they made all the difference in my ability to recover and race again. What was said earlier by Ratz sounds right but isn't your health and well-being worth a bit more than relying on this tribe of lycra wearing bent riders (said with complete affection for all of us!!!)?

BikeGary

Yoga, the "restorative" kind. My wife told me for years that it would help me and I didn't believe her. Then the gym I belong to has classes that are part of the membership fee and lo and behold my shoulders hurt less, I stand up straighter, my balance has improved! Should have done this years ago. (I did do a physical massage once a week for about a year and while it helped, it didn't help as much as the "Hatha" Yoga class has. YMMV.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'd need some kind of high speed action sports yoga with an air of danger to it. As it stand regular yoga is way to slow for me :lol

Vicki C.

T50 Trailblazer and Silvio newbie
I had a fifth metarsal break and didn't see the doctor but walked and rode with a stiff-soled cycling sandal, not clipped in when riding because I didn't want the stress of unclipping. The foot eventually healed.