MBB on a diet (9 kilograms)

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Great work Marco! I believe the bottom bracket is deliberately low for better blood flow to the legs and better orientation for pushing when climbing?

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
A video of last Sunday ride with a little confrontation with other road bikers:

My favourite part is at about 9:25 : Serafino and Marco team work to split the group! Then at 10:19 the DF leader looks back and realises they are only two left against two recumbents and the rest have been dropped! Wow!

Marco, what is the weight of Serafino's bike? Why does he not use Rev Graziella?

Last edited:

markciccio

The wheelbase is 110 cm, for mine and 115 cm for Serafino's. That is the old version of the Rev, the "C4". At the moment I am making some modifications on his "Graziella" that will come back soon. The C4 weighs 9.6 kg. The next version of the Graziella will be about 8.9 kg (it was a Bianchi Oltre).
The problem is not the control itself, I could ride without big problems even with 30° or 28° seat angle . The thing is that here in northern Italy we have not any flat path, as you see in the videos, and so for better overall performance and comfort the best position, for me, is 37° seat angle as I said many times.
For racing on flat circuits like Monza or Misano I will set it to 28°, of course.

Last edited:

cliff oliver

I spend a lot of time on the "greenway" with the V20. I spend much of my time pulled up on the handlebars because of tight turns and traffic wishing for 37 degree seatback, ha,ha., and comfortable carbon frame. Marco is working on the next gen. MBB. The V20 is great for speed. I think Marco's is better all around, like the Silvio but lighter and less vibrations.
With the aero advantage of the MBBs and climbing ability I think weight is less the issue than comfort of carbon and adjustable seatback.

My favorite racquetball racket was an aluminum Voigt, but the vibrations so intense it would cause tendons and ligaments to flair up. Enter carbon racquets. Marco's still can beat or keep up with a pace-line.

The M5 is cool but impractical with it's very long wheelbase.

Thanks for doing all the work Marco.

Don't get me wrong I love the V20. We are looking at here the next generation MBB with Marco's built designs.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Marco 's design has four main advantages/improvements for a general purpose road racing bike:
  1. Completely nonadjustable rigid front triangle means max power transfer and easy wheel change.
  2. A telescoping adjustable handlebar mount adjusts to rider without changing the front triangle
  3. back and fro horizontal seat adjustment
  4. Adjustable seat angle
Its also very nice looking !!
IMG_20180111_131925.jpg

IMG_20180111_131934.jpg

Last edited:

cliff oliver

Just need a longer chain stay for a more aero position, but Marco said he liked BB lower than bottom of seat and it may not make that much difference.

No adjustment for BB-chainstay triangle. I guess you would be limited who could ride it having only horizontal seat adj and horizontal handle bar adjustment, but then DF's come in different sizes too.

So a mold was made for the main body (aluminum) and cooked in autoclave and probably vacuum bagged or may an inflatable bag in the mold. Looks like pre-preg carbon was used also. Scavanged chain stay and fork off donor bike. Looks good.
When are you shipping frame sets? ha,ha

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
No adjustment for BB-chainstay triangle. I guess you would be limited who could ride it having only horizontal seat adj and horizontal handle bar adjustment, but then DF's come in different sizes too.

I guess if it was to be produced it would need Large, medium and Small frame sizes. Nothing is perfect, I guess, there are always pros and cons to every design.

He explained that the low bottom bracket is good for better blood circulation to the legs and I guess for a more natural orientation when climbing steep gradients.

Watching Marco's videos shows this to be very nimble on open public roads with lots of cornering and climbing.

Marco and his friend Serafino are great tactful riders to say the least. Experienced riders are easy to notice!

Impressive!

Last edited:

cliff oliver

Marco and his friend Serafino are great tactful riders to say the least.

Tactful? I could have sworn I heard him curse at a driver. ha,ha

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Marco and his friend Serafino are great tactful riders to say the least.

Tactful? I could have sworn I heard him curse at a driver. ha,ha
Maybe I should have said skilled at racing with tact. There is one video they do a "sandwich" move to drop a DF rider.

In one of the videos above Serafino performs a formula 1 kind of move on the bicycle riding in on the inner side of a corner to hold his line in the mini peleton.

Last edited:

markciccio

Just need a longer chain stay for a more aero position, but Marco said he liked BB lower than bottom of seat and it may not make that much difference. (...)
So a mold was made for the main body (aluminum) and cooked in autoclave (...)

Marco 's design has four main advantages/improvements for a general purpose road racing bike:
  1. Completely nonadjustable rigid front triangle means max power transfer and easy wheel change.
  2. A telescoping adjustable handlebar mount adjusts to rider without changing the front triangle
  3. back and fro horizontal seat adjustment
  4. Adjustable seat angle

Yes, everything correct except about the mold that was made not of aluminum but of high temperature carbon fiber, special for autoclave cooking.

As for the front of the bike, yes it is all fixed but the height of the pedals depends on the height of the rider, meaning I have made three different sizes: 53 cm (for me that I am 1.87 cm tall), 55 cm (medium size, about 1.75 tall) and 58 (S size less than 1.70). These were made for some friends of mine, I do not sell anything. Each size is anyway adjustable for different drivers. For example my bike can be used for a 1.75 to 1.90 cm rider.

At the moment I have made 10 "Revs" and that gave me the opportunity of testing different solutions in geometry and all the other aspects of the bike. I am so lucky about this, thanks to my friends that wanted to ride a TD MBB.

In any case everything started because of my love for the Cruzbike Vendetta-Silvio. In fact two years ago I built the "V", some kind of Vendetta replica not designed for speed but for climbing. That took me to the first Rev and to all the others.

About me and Serafino ("The Pirate"), he his a former racer, very skilled. During our jouneys we are constantly in contact by our bluetooth earphones (mainly for safety reasons) and so it is easy to make tactics, generally made by him. It is a great fun! Because when we meet that kind of DF rider that thinks that we drive slow and strange bikes, we tell him that the story is slightly different....

One last thing. Trust me: low bottom bracket is very, very, very important for overall performance.

Bentas

"One last thing. Trust me: low bottom bracket is very, very, very important for overall performance."

Have to agree, I experimented with longer chainstays, for a while, I found the bike would not hold it's line as well, making the whole riding experience tiresome because I was having to concentrate so much harder.
I think I recall that Maria found the shorter stays to be 'more aero'in wind tunnel testing they did on the V.