Mid-Atlantic 12/24 - An Endurance Virgin No More

Jeffrey Ritter

So, last Saturday was my first endurance race. As many know, I was doing pretty well in 2014, taking bronze medals in Va state TT championships. Then I crashed and, well, I could no longer ride a DF and it took me 3 years to roll up to the starting line again. On a Cruzbike, wonderfully adapted to work wonderfully with my internal "hardware" in my neck. Now an endurance racer (I hoped).

I am thrilled with the experience--not as a racer perhaps, though I am very pleased with how I performed, but as a new member of the Cruzbike racing community.

Lanier Meeks, Larry Oslund, Doug Kline, Maria & Jim--each made my first race so terrific. Maria, as she led a small pack in the 100 mile race shouts encouragement to me as she rolls past. Jim smiling as I rode past while he stood on the top step getting his medal!Doug helped me with bike fitting in the weeks before. Larry gave online advice between his record-setting rides.

Lanier, who I had never met, even joined me when I returned to the race (after an extended pit stop due to the heat) and kept me company on my last 25 mile lap, sacrificing his own performance to assure I stayed strong (and, to his credit, he never offered his wheel, but made sure I rode the full way on my own power and, indeed, had my second fastest 25 mile lap).

Thanks to everyone for the experience. See you on the road.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Nice to hook up with you Jeffrey. Sorry we could not spend more time together. You did fantastic - on your way to more miles and more smiles!