Minnesota, New here

Othmar

8-30-15

Hello all,

I’m in Cannon Falls, MN. Looking to talk with someone who has a Cruzbike. Thinking of buying one but want to know if it is right for me. Have many questions. Can no longer ride a regular bike due to neck problems. My intention with getting into a Cruzbike would be: increase fitness, learn a new hobby, and meet people. I will be retiring next summer, but would like to start some training soon.

Othmar

jond

Zen MBB Master
hi othmar

recumbents are great for neck issues if you find a heads up position tolerable. you can see the world from a recumbent position without straining and craning your neck like on a standard safety bike. there are many options including stable trikes. obviously the more recline you have the more you have to shape your neck to the upright position of your head. reclines of 15 deg to over 60 deg are available and a lot are adjustable. headrests are common on the more reclined recumbents and can be a source of vibration transmission . one slight downside is that your legs are not part of the suspension system like a regular upright bike. so if jarring is a possible issue please consider the brilliant fully suspended models like the silvio etc or other suspended recumbents. there are some great plush light rides out there. hope you find someone local to talk to you about the best bike on the market and join our cruzbike community asap. when you ride a cruzbike a lot of people are naturally quite curious about the bike. and as far as a hobby is concerned you may find it becomes an obsession quickly. if your neck is severe then perhaps start with the more upright positioned recumbent on the home page. lots of information on this forum. try the search engine.

Jerrye

Spam Slayer
Looks like you are not far from Ratz, one of the best Cruzbike evangelists around. PM him & see what happens.

Othmar

hi othmar

recumbents are great for neck issues if you find a heads up position tolerable. you can see the world from a recumbent position without straining and craning your neck like on a standard safety bike. there are many options including stable trikes. obviously the more recline you have the more you have to shape your neck to the upright position of your head. reclines of 15 deg to over 60 deg are available and a lot are adjustable. headrests are common on the more reclined recumbents and can be a source of vibration transmission . one slight downside is that your legs are not part of the suspension system like a regular upright bike. so if jarring is a possible issue please consider the brilliant fully suspended models like the silvio etc or other suspended recumbents. there are some great plush light rides out there. hope you find someone local to talk to you about the best bike on the market and join our cruzbike community asap. when you ride a cruzbike a lot of people are naturally quite curious about the bike. and as far as a hobby is concerned you may find it becomes an obsession quickly. if your neck is severe then perhaps start with the more upright positioned recumbent on the home page. lots of information on this forum. try the search engine.

Jond, Thanks so much for the welcome. I have watched many vids on the Cruzbikes, and read many forum pages. I’m certain I wouldn’t be an all-out Vendetta kind of rider, but would probably start with a Q and hopefully move up to a Silvio at some point. Those two models appeal to me because of the suspension. My neck issue, is what prevents me from riding a regular bike. I borrowed a bike and went 12 miles on the Cannon Valley bike trail, no hills 6 out and 6 back, but by the end I could tell my neck had problems. It took several days for it to feel OK. I don’t want to portray myself as too fragile, because I’m not. It is just that the heads up DF bike angle is about the worst thing for me. I do have a diagnosis and it is moderate, not severe.

You mention obsession, yes, I think that’s where I’m headed. I love learning new things and new skills.

Othmar

Othmar

Looks like you are not far from Ratz, one of the best Cruzbike evangelists around. PM him & see what happens.

Jerrye, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have read many of Ratz’s posts and watched many of his vids. I would love to talk with him, but understand people are busy with family, work, and riding. If by chance Ratz or any other would be willing to meet with me or even talk on the phone I would change and adapt my schedule to make things work for them.

To give you a degree of the level of my interest, I’m tempted to attend the convention out in Ohio at the end of Sept. My hesitation is, I’m a teacher and it probably is not the best to leave my students with a sub for two days after only three weeks, and I think It would be too much for a complete newbie like me. I do plan to attend the Midwest gathering in Stevens Point next Aug.

I can’t seem to figure out how to do a PM to another member. Where is it? I suspect it is very obvious and It’ll be a forehead slap moment for me when someone directs me to it.

Othmar

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
I can’t seem to figure out how to do a PM to another member. Where is it? I suspect it is very obvious and It’ll be a forehead slap moment for me when someone directs me to it.
Click on someone's name, Start a Conversation. Or click on your own name at the top right of the page, Conversations > Start a New Conversation.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Hi Othmar,

For Canon city a Quest would be most suited to that trail. It would be a little narrow and time and congested to run a Silvio down that path especially if you are going all the way to the river. The Quest however would be quite fun on that route. I'll PM you and we can setup something that match the fall schedule.

Othmar

Click on someone's name, Start a Conversation. Or click on your own name at the top right of the page, Conversations > Start a New Conversation.
Thanks Zzzorse,
I was looking for PM, forehead slap. I think I have now started a conversation with Ratz.

Thanks again
Othmar