Mongoose Tactic women's mountain bike as donor?

fitzgerrell

Hi, any thoughts about the Mongoose Tactic women's 26" mountain bike as a donor for conversion kit?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Tactic-Women-s-Mountain-Bike/20526228

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
That looks like it could

That looks like it could work. Nice straight top tube. Do you already have the kit?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Looks like bar height is

Looks like bar height is around 27/28". Is your inseam 3 to 4" bigger than that? If so, then I think it's fine.

fitzgerrell

The Mongoose Tactic conversion went well, now time to get comfortable riding the bike.
Initially I left the stock tires on the bike, however it was difficult to steer - on reading advice in the instructions and on the forum here, I changed to Kenda Kwest Commuter 100psi tires - big improvement.
The stock bike had SRAM twist shifters - I found that it was too easy to accidentally shift when pedaling, so changed to Shimano EF-51 combination shift/brake units and Avenir grips - much better.
Finally, I put in a Columbia R20 seatpost (27.2 x 400mm) to let me get the seat back up enough to be comfortable - although I'm told I'll want to ride with it less erect after I get better at riding.

All told this was a very inexpensive recumbent:
$109 for the new Mongoose Tactic
$240 for the used Cruzbike conversion kit
$44 for the tires
$36 for the grips and shifters
$18 for the seat post
Total just under $450.

Still to be done at some point:
The front fork "shocks" are about useless - probably change over to standard forks.
The rear suspension is really just a spring, would like to put in better suspension.
The chainrings are flimsy - will soon need to replace those with something sturdier - and will probably replace the bottom bracket at the same time.

Cheers,

KevinP1020207.JPG P1020208.JPG P1020209.JPG

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Looking good!

I agree about the quality of crappy front suspension forks. A solid fork isn't a bad idea.

Your seat is quite upright. You may find it more comfortable moving the seat pan forward a bit and tilting it more. I use a layback seatpost on both of my Cruzbikes and they work well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Charles

SamP

Guru
Looks nice. The price of the new bike is a good indicator why the shocks are not very good--a good front suspension fork by itself could be several hundreds of dollars. I suspect the frame is a bit on the heavy side, but likely structurally sound. You should be able to upgrade the components incrementally as time, money, and desire allows.