Need a Skewer to Fit the Drive Wheel to my Trainer

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Forgive me if I missed it, as I've followed all the threads on every topic posted on this forum
-since the beginning of time-
and even double-checked, but I just can't find any information about trainer skewers that
fit the Vendetta front/drive wheel.

There's a picture of a few Vendettas in John Tolhurst's "Skunk Works" and one of 'em
is in a trainer.
So it can be done.

To sum up, I'd love to obtain a trainer skewer for this new-to-me yellow Vendetta V1.5.
You know, the heavy steel skewer with the chromed steel ends and the old-style funky
steel tightening lever... only longer than the one that normal roadie rear wheels use.

Throw a clue my way, please?

Thank you!

BentAero

I ended up having to make one as I could never find the correct length premade.

Piece of rod (5mm?) cut to length and a die to cut the threads. I used the 'nuts' from two old skewers rather than one lever and one nut.
I have to tighten/loosen with pliers, but that's ok.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I use the 135mm Steel one that came with the trainer then I use an end cap for the none lever side with a through hole. same thing would work if you cut 1-2 mm off the rod and tapped a thread on it.

hamishbarker

Hi ratz, i don't quite follow what you mean.

The probe is that the front dropouts of the v1 and 1.5 are quite thick as both the fork and the chain stays overlap there. An extra long skewer is required, longer than a mtb one. John Tolhurst posted a while back that the skewer needs to be 10-15mm longer than a mtb one. Whereas on the v2 and later the dropouts were redesigned ago that a standard mtb rear skewer will work.

I have the same problem as i have a v1.5 and a new basic fluid type trainer (thought I'd go low budget first to see if i can stomach stationary cycling before going big bucks for a wahoo kickr or similar).

The simple but dodgy temp solution I've taken is to cut an old skewer in two and just put the two pieces through the dropouts to keep things positioned. The trainer cones then provide the compression forces to hold it all together. Seems to work ok. But of course means a bit of mucking around with everything lose when setting up before the trainer cones are screwed in tight.

The better solution is to get a longer skewer.apparently BOB trailers make three lengths of steel Skewers for regular (130-135 over lock nut "OLN" dimension ) rear hubs, longer ones for 145mm OLN tandem hubs and also extra long for 160mm Salsa tandem hubs. I have ordered a 160 size one from biketrailershop.com. If its a little too long its easy to trim down.

Then i wont need to change out skewers every time i want to set up on the trainer as per my temporary dodgy cut skewer solution which is of course unrideable outside the trainer.

Hope this makes sense.

glad the new v's dont have this problem!

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Thank you, everyone.
A nice benefit of trainers is that they make adjusting the transmission, brakes and even truing wheels, while under stress, possible.

hamishbarker

Did know that about the older models, interesting.

So then these would be of interest.

Bob Trailer 140mm

Tandem 145mm

Rack Support 199mm

As for the rest of use; the new DT Swiss Quick releases are about the best thing ever for a Silvio or Vendetta just tighten down; and once tight spin the handle to any orientation absolutely no lever interference with the frame.

Yes i saw the 199 ones but the head is not round to fit in the left trainer cone, and being an external can type will be a point contact to the cone and might get damaged.

Do you use such skewers on your trainer ratz?

ratz

Yes i saw the 199 ones but the head is not round to fit in the left trainer cone, and being an external can type will be a point contact to the cone and might get damaged.

Do you use such skewers on your trainer ratz?

Cup on our mag trainer has a cut out for the lever. I use the 140 mm that came with it

jond

Zen MBB Master
Did know that about the older models, interesting.

So then these would be of interest.

Bob Trailer 140mm

Tandem 145mm

Rack Support 199mm

As for the rest of use; the new DT Swiss Quick releases are about the best thing ever for a Silvio or Vendetta just tighten down; and once tight spin the handle to any orientation absolutely no lever interference with the frame.
hi ratz have you used this dt swiss qr on the vendetta? how are you finding your new reynolds wheels?

ratz

hi ratz have you used this dt swiss qr on the vendetta? how are you finding your new reynolds wheels?

Yes we have the DT Swiss on the Vendetta and the Silvio. I like it. Give me a couple hundred miles on them and I'll give you the official thumbs up. It feels just a tad "short" on the front but it's the same length as what it replaced so I just think it's just that I noticed because of how it goes on. Basically is just screw on and after it's tight you can rotate the handle 360 degree to the perfect angle without have to loose the tension. Very logical design.

August is basically our "off season" over here because of kids stuff; so I have about 80 miles on the wheels only. So far so great. I haven't been able to try them in the wind because humorously the mind I get them all the wind ran away and hid. Never fear a full gadget report will be coming.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
V1.5 front (drive) wheel skewer is 170mm

I searched, off-and-on, for weeks and ramped-up the search to a double-serious effort a few weeks ago.
Today I received my new skewer in the mail.

It's a:
Cannondale Extended Rear QR Kit 130/135mm KA048
Part number 12XS1

http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Cannondale-Quick-Release-Trainer-Skewer--130135mm-KA048_p_2217.html

I ordered it online from Cannondale Experts in Bluffdale, UT, USA
It cost me $12.00USD plus $2.68USD shipping for a total cost to my doorstep of, $14.68USD.

This skewer is intended to be used for mounting bikes with hooded dropouts onto trainers.
I removed the two aluminum spacers provided, to fit the skewer to my Vendetta V1.5.

The skewer fits both my V1.5 and my four-year old, heavily used 1up USA trainer.
It's been tested and it has passed the test.

You're welcome.

VenRiderGuy

MrSteve, this is great. I've been having no luck in finding an adequate length skewer for my V2.0, also for use on a trainer, and so I appreciate your excellent post here. I have found that most people who sell skewers have no idea how to accurately measure the skewer before they advertise what is being offered. I have purchased 165mm, 170mm, and 175mm skewers on-line only to find the skewers were actually only 135mm skewers. Thanks again. Now, what do I do with all of these 135mm skewers?o_O

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
This find is gold for everyone with the older V's for sure, as old OEM ones were specially made and we no longer have many - and ordering more is not super realistic due to cost and MOQ.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
O.K., so, the purpose of the trainer skewer I found was to mount the V onto the trainer.
I wanted, very badly, to swap out the bikes every now and then;
test the V's drivetrain under power right next to all of my tools and out of the weather.

The legalese that came with the skewer emphasizes two points:
-1.) The skewer must fit both the frame of your trainer and be correctly mounted on your bike.
-2) The skewer is intended for trainer use only. The normal road skewer must be used, off-trainer.

This is wise advice, for bikes that have hooded dropouts.
This trainer skewer is crazy-long for a 130mm axle and would definitely be kind of unsafe on the road.
It may work as a 170mm axle for the Vendetta, but that's not what it's for.
-----
Moving on!

Do you need a replacement road-worthy 170mm quick release axle skewer to either replace or back up the stock skewer?
They exist.
I found them.
FatBoy style bikes use them.
Off-road bikes that use disc brakes have pretty wide rear ends and I've seen some MTB 170mm skewers.
Look in,

fat-bike.com

Trek makes a long Q.R. in titanium

oldmanmountain.com has an XL skewer

Hope makes a stainless skewer -found on eBay

Salsa

Paul Components (expensive)

...and that's enough to point you in the right direction.