Need help on tire-wheel match

My idea of simply moving my old mountain bike wheels/tires to my frame build went bust because the wheels are neither quick release nor have disc brake mounts. So I ordered some new wheels. When they arrived yesterday, it was visually apparent that they are about 2/3 the width of the wheels they are replacing. I wrote to the online supplier complaining that I ordered 26" x 1.5" and was sent 26 in wheels that were 19mm wide. Here is their response:
From the information provided it looks like you did receive the correct items. A 26 x 1.5 wheel will not measure 26 x 1.5". This is normal. The wheels that you ordered should have a inner width of 19 mm [.]
You did order and you did receive a 26 x 1.5 wheel. A 26 x 1.5 tube and tire should fit on the wheel that you received.​
I have attached photos both the new and old wheels that show their respective widths. The tires I took off the mountain bike say: 50-559 26x1.95 to fit HB-575 rim. I have also attached a photo of the detail specs included with the wheel. My question is can I put these tires on the new wheel? If not, what should I have ordered instead of what I did, or is the vendor lying to me?

FullSizeRender.jpg new rim.JPG current rim.JPG

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
My idea of simply moving my old mountain bike wheels/tires to my frame build went bust because the wheels are neither quick release nor have disc brake mounts. So I ordered some new wheels. When they arrived yesterday, it was visually apparent that they are about 2/3 the width of the wheels they are replacing. I wrote to the online supplier complaining that I ordered 26" x 1.5" and was sent 26 in wheels that were 19mm wide. Here is their response:
From the information provided it looks like you did receive the correct items. A 26 x 1.5 wheel will not measure 26 x 1.5". This is normal. The wheels that you ordered should have a inner width of 19 mm [.]
You did order and you did receive a 26 x 1.5 wheel. A 26 x 1.5 tube and tire should fit on the wheel that you received.​
I have attached photos both the new and old wheels that show their respective widths. The tires I took off the mountain bike say: 50-559 26x1.95 to fit HB-575 rim. I have also attached a photo of the detail specs included with the wheel. My question is can I put these tires on the new wheel? If not, what should I have ordered instead of what I did, or is the vendor lying to me?

View attachment 5146 View attachment 5147 View attachment 5148
Hi, my understanding is that the rim is usually slightly narrower than the tire width. This allows the tire bead to "bite" onto the rim. Some rims are wider for the same tire size and this affects the height of the tire. A narrower rim will cause the tire to buldge out a little more while a wider rim will give a "flatter" profile.

I think your 50-559 26x1.95 tire will fit that rim quite fine.

Ref:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyre-sizing.html#isoetrto
" ...A general guideline is that the tyre width should be between 1.45/2.0 x the inner rim width. "
bead-seat-diameter.jpg

Last edited:

anotherbrian

Since the advent of "wide" (or wider than 17-19mm) I've never seen wheels/rims measured in the width of the tire they would take, rather in the width of the rim, and _always_ in mm and not inches.

A 1.5" wide rim would be in the realm of "Plus" sized/fat bike tires (3.5-4" wide).

I've enjoyed wider rims on both my MTB and road bikes (23-25mm internal) and I'll never buy a narrow set again. I'd suggest returning those and getting wider, but I suspect it's going to be a case of buyers error and you'll be paying the return shipping.

Last edited:
I did end up mounting the tire/tube on the purchased rims. Have not yet ridden on them since I am still building. My goal is to get the T50 up and running since this is my first Cruzbike and I want to get riding it as soon as possible. No doubt I figure out ways to optimize it once I have put some miles on it.

Mrnelson

Question: I'm new to the 26" wheel of the T50 and it's surprisingly hard to search -- What are the tire sizes I can use? If I want to go thinner and lighter do the rims allow it?

rx7mark

Guru
Question: I'm new to the 26" wheel of the T50 and it's surprisingly hard to search -- What are the tire sizes I can use? If I want to go thinner and lighter do the rims allow it?

I am sure you could fit anywhere from 25mm (1 inch) to a little larger than 2 inch tires on that rim and it will fit the T50. I run 1.85 inch tires on my T50 on a rim that is 25mm inside width and they measure 1.95 with 45 psi. I have plenty of clearance, so you could go even bigger if you want. I don't think they sell a 26 inch narrower than 1 inch, or at least I have not seen them.

For the rim you have I would be more comfortable staying in the 1.00- 1.75 size range.

Mark

Mrnelson

I am sure you could fit anywhere from 25mm (1 inch) to a little larger than 2 inch tires on that rim and it will fit the T50. I run 1.85 inch tires on my T50 on a rim that is 25mm inside width and they measure 1.95 with 45 psi. I have plenty of clearance, so you could go even bigger if you want. I don't think they sell a 26 inch narrower than 1 inch, or at least I have not seen them.

For the rim you have I would be more comfortable staying in the 1.00- 1.75 size range.

Mark
Great, thanks for the help, much appreciated.