Neophyte in need of Vendetta V20 setup help...

Kerry Kerr

Eric:

Yeah struggling a bit. Mostly with setup, not riding skill. The riding is coming along nicely, all things considered. The setup is frustrating esp. the front derailleur. Riding around in low gears is getting old fast. Yaw derailleur adjust video might help me....
Also you might check , if you adjusted the boom that it might be off centered with bottom bracket, I did that when I first adjusted mine.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey @Winded Lowrider , great that you are getting the basics before blasting off at the speed of light. That V just accelerates. It's good to be in comfort and relaxed and then add speed. Sure your kid might outsprint you but turn it into your favour. Add some rolling hills. I am pretty sure he won't be so quick then. But he might sneak a ride on your pride and joy if you keep on beating him.

Winded Lowrider

DCH: Good advice, Thanks. The kid thinks he's pretty quick sprinting. After a few miles things change.
KK: will check "boom swivel" misalignment.
Ratz: No doubt i need to educate myself in YAW adjustment. I hate cold pools. Once properly adjusted, I hear that yaw style is awesome. The only way out is through....

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Brad,
View: Over the bars for the road (under the bars for the chainring check).
They all have covered the derailer better than I ever could.
The stand (I finally got) that works awesome is also from Feedback (https://www.rei.com/product/729321/feedback-sports-pro-elite-bike-repair-stand) any of them that have a swivelling attachment point will work. Attach it at the balance point on the sliding top-tube (hopefully that doesn't include paint)

and this is what I did BEFORE I got the stand (for a couple years on my Silvio and it *can* work on the V)
on a 4 ' step ladder - turn bike over - handlebars rest on the risers (non-step side) and crook of the seat on the top "do-not-step" step (that we all have used once or twice)

I never once tipped the bike over but I would have a hard time putting my new $4K vendetta on there.
You could bungee it down for security (and even weight put some weights on the bottom if you like)

It works amazingly well and stable.
cockpit components (mirrors, mounts, computers) get in the way tho.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
1000 words.
IMG_1064.jpg IMG_1065.jpg
Some notes:
It is amazingly stable.
Puts the moving pieces at eye level if you are taller than @LarryOz
Will put some impressions in your seat cushions if you leave it that way for a couple days/weeks (I know) - they go away eventually
Takes a fair amount of space to be effective working on stuff
Every thing is backwards (and in high-heels) - but not something we aren't accustomed to in FWD-land. ;)

Winded Lowrider

Wow that's unorthodox but apparently effective! I was trying to imagine suspension bungee system or a work bench 2x4 hanger....

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Hi Lief, the picture reveals something? You have black duck tape just above your boom on the slider. Is it holding something like a battery that we can't see?
David,
That's where I rigged my light attachment. I don't have a "real" mount for the light I have which can go around that big top-tube. Tape and a helmet mount works well enough.

If I manage to ever finish upgrading my back-half garage...errr bike shop...I'll have an impetus to invest more time and energy into my existing equipment. I'll never be an Eagle Scout <ahem> but I'll get a lot more things done right.

pedlpadl

what type of stand will hold a CBV and where does it connect?

I use a regular bike stand with the stand's clamp around the boom just aft of the pivot clamp. With the boom level, the rear wheel is hanging down and the bike swings around. I stabilize it by putting a 5 gallon bucket under the back wheel.

If I'm adjusting the RD I set it up differently. My stand is height adjustable and the clamp can rotate. I put the bike's rear wheel up on my work bench (about 1 meter high), with the front axle about 1 meter high so the bike is angled front end downward, and rotate the stand clamp to match the boom angle. This way, the drive train is almost level to the ground and the RD is easier to adjust.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I use a regular bike stand with the stand's clamp around the boom just aft of the pivot clamp. With the boom level, the rear wheel is hanging down and the bike swings around. I stabilize it by putting a 5 gallon bucket under the back wheel.
I also use a std. bike stand, clamp around the slider, etc. I put my rear wheel up on a folding chair...only because it is convenient.

Winded Lowrider

Still struggling with setup on my V20. Riding is going fairly well. I can jump on it and ride around my neighborhood without much trouble.

Issue # 1:
Front derailleur ( sram rival) will not shift up to big ring. Yaw. Checked alignment ( OK) tightened cable ( OK). Checked stop screw.( It does not even touch in the large ring position...Super frustrating . This is a fairly simple (not recumbent specific) issue and I'm at a loss as to how to fix it. Any suggestions?

Issue #2 headrest/head angle/ sight line. I feel like I'm looking up instead of down the road. My old bike ( zox low racer is actually fairly upright, so I'm adjusting to the new more laid-back position....Adjusted the headrest in ( helped some) and Added foam to prop my head up ( this also helped some). Suggestions?

See photo and feel free to provide helpful insightful opinions!
Thanks!

Attachments

• VendettaPosition.JPG
    VendettaPosition.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 44

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
You might have to back the head rest out a bit; hard to tell from the angle but it looks like it pushes the base your neck up and tips your head up. If you back it out; the neck and shoulders will be able to drop into the void, and tip your head forward so you can get the double chin effect we all have :).. It's counter-intuitive but I think it's what you should try next.

As for the yaw; if you are sure the cable is tight; and you followed the alignment, and the shifter was in the right position; then it's probably time to start over again. The first step is to use the lower limit screw to push it out to the big ring; then align it; tighten it; install the cable and then loosen the lower limit screen. Remember you can measure the tiny clearance you need by using the body of allenwrench to measure 2mm and 1.5mm it's a good trick.

Winded Lowrider

Moved up to 4th on that same hill today (only 20 seconds to KOM). Every time I ride it feels more normal. Straight line riding is no problem now. My only difficulty is starting off (especially uphill) and turning sharply. Any good training methods for low speed sharp turns? Pedal? , refrain from pedaling?, lean in lean out?

Also I need to figure out water bottle cage mounting. I bought 2 cages thinking they would work under the sides of the seat. They won't fit easily in a position I can reach while riding....Anyone got a solution? Please don't tell me CB sells a special cage mount for an inflated price .

I've tried a couple of gear bag solutions without success. May have to custom build a box....

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Please don't tell me CB sells a special cage mount for an inflated price .

CB sells a special cage mount for an inflated price :lol

I never could figure out any under the seat mounting that was usable while riding. I made my own behind the headrest mount for my two bottles but unless you have a machine shop like myself you may need to dish out some dough. One of my biggest gripes early on in my recumbent days and honestly still my biggest gripe is the lack of easy stuff carrying options on recumbents. Backpacks are just so easy to use on the DF bike.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Moved up to 4th on that same hill today (only 20 seconds to KOM). Every time I ride it feels more normal. Straight line riding is no problem now. My only difficulty is starting off (especially uphill) and turning sharply. Any good training methods for low speed sharp turns? Pedal? , refrain from pedaling?, lean in lean out?

Also I need to figure out water bottle cage mounting. I bought 2 cages thinking they would work under the sides of the seat. They won't fit easily in a position I can reach while riding....Anyone got a solution? Please don't tell me CB sells a special cage mount for an inflated price .

I've tried a couple of gear bag solutions without success. May have to custom build a box....

This is the thread you want.... plenty of low-cost ways to replicate. Just note that what happened in this thread led to the stuff you can buy now, which do work damn good.... Good, Fast, Cheap pick two.
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/how-i-spent-my-summer-vacation-an-ongoing-vendetta-saga.7599/