New and Improved Headrest Clamp

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
What is the total weight? I am thinking it is under a pound.
I'll do a mock-up here in our shipping department and check UPS against USPS rates to various places
It might also depend on where it is going.

I would think if you could package them in a padded envelope (property protected) that it should be cheaper that the <2lb flat rate.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I am wondering if I could retrofit these into a Silvio 2.0. Ideas?

Once Maria and Robert get theirs on Monday hopefully they will be kind enough to answer that question. The two bikes look to use the same system so I'd think there would be no need for retrofitting, it should just work on both models as is.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Also I was able to solve my cheap shipping dilema. After far to long on the computer researching I found I could ship my own 3oz packages for $2.60 via usps first class. The catch was the usps website stopped letting you print your own first class labels ever since they started the flat rate shipping thing. What I randomly discovered was you can still print your own first class labels through paypal which is great because if I was going to need to stand in line at usps no one would be getting any clamps. The catch was you can only pay for the shipping label via paypal with your current existing paypal balance which for me was sitting at $0.00. Then paypal wouldn't let me add my own money from my bank to my paypal account without sending them photo proof of a bunch of personal info like SS numbers and such which I'm just not willing to give out. It's retarded, I can send money to europe through paypal from my bank account but I can't stop the money in my paypal account o_O. The sollution? have a friend gift you $20 via paypal then gift them back $20 but make sure to select your bank account as the source of money so now they have their $20 back and you have $20 in your paypal account to start printing labels. Talk about going the long way to save a few $ for the principle of the matter.

RAR

Also I was able to solve my cheap shipping dilema. After far to long on the computer researching I found I could ship my own 3oz packages for $2.60 via usps first class. The catch was the usps website stopped letting you print your own first class labels ever since they started the flat rate shipping thing. What I randomly discovered was you can still print your own first class labels through paypal which is great because if I was going to need to stand in line at usps no one would be getting any clamps. The catch was you can only pay for the shipping label via paypal with your current existing paypal balance which for me was sitting at $0.00. Then paypal wouldn't let me add my own money from my bank to my paypal account without sending them photo proof of a bunch of personal info like SS numbers and such which I'm just not willing to give out. It's retarded, I can send money to europe through paypal from my bank account but I can't stop the money in my paypal account o_O. The sollution? have a friend gift you $20 via paypal then gift them back $20 but make sure to select your bank account as the source of money so now they have their $20 back and you have $20 in your paypal account to start printing labels. Talk about going the long way to save a few $ for the principle of the matter.
Fun and games in the electronic world !

VenRiderGuy

A little feedback report on Jason's new and improved headrest clamp......:D......and that about says it all.

I received the headrest clamp the other day (fast shipping, thanks Jason) and proceeded to replace the old with the new. I can't remember the number of times that messing with the old clamp assembly has resulted in a pinched finger. Fortunately, I do all of this work in my isolated garage, so the new words and phrases that I create at times are not shared with the world. I have a V2.0, and unlike Jason's photo of his V20, my V only has one fastener hole in the frame. I may eventually drill another, but for now just clamping with one half of the clamp assembly works great for me. A vast improvement, and I highly recommend it if you also are tired of the original clamp mechanism. Hopefully, it will soon appear in the Accessories section of the home site.

Mr. "Just a guy that used to be fast" (I suspect that he still is fast) and his headrest clamping mechanism get my vote for Cruzbike Add-On, Innovative Product of the Month.

Thanks, Jason, for bringing another creative idea to life! :cool:

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Excellent design Rojo! I think you have a winner. Your delrin design leads one to wonder if you could upgrade the OEM frame plugs for the older model Silvios. They would sure look more professional and work better than the current piece. The current OEM plug is a spongy piece that wears quick, slips, and does nothing to keep water out of the frame. Perhaps even a slot for an O ring?

I have no idea what your talking about and when I visited Rick the other week and looked at his Silvios we were both stumped on what part you are talking about.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
OK so I finally received more raw material today but I've been totally slammed at work. I hope on Friday I'll be able to get some free time and make the clamps. If anyone wants a clamp and isn't already listed below speak up now or possibly get suck waiting for a new batch when enough interest builds. I'll make extras but not promises on how long they'll last. $30 each for the clamps and $3 shipped to the lower 48. If you live somewhere odd and shipping is more then you'll be responsible to cough up the extra dough. Those of you who have already PMed me I'll respond with payment and shipping details when I finish making the clamps. If you haven't already PMed me there please do so and I'll get back to you as well.

So far I have
@DavidCH qty 1
@RAR qty 1
@mgilles0 qty 1 was a maybe based on if it works for a Silvio @Robert Holler can you confirm this?
@bazzawill qty 1
@ratz qty 4
@trplay qty1
@brokemyback qty 1

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I have no idea what your talking about

Well be stumped no more. Here it is in all its glory. They fit in the frame where the headrest first leaves the frame. Pretty much worthless for keeping water out of the frame. A delrin plug would work and look so much better. You would need a method to keep it tight of course. Electrical tape wrapped around the sides will probably do the trick.

plug.gif

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Well be stumped no more. Here it is in all its glory. They fit in the frame where the headrest first leaves the frame. Pretty much worthless for keeping water out of the frame. A delrin plug would work and look so much better. You would need a method to keep it tight of course. Electrical tape wrapped around the sides will probably do the trick.

Well I live in CA, the land of drought so I wouldn't know about riding in the rain or getting water in the frame. With that said I'll take a look at that area and see if I can think of an ingenious way to keep water out.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Well I live in CA, the land of drought so I wouldn't know about riding in the rain or getting water in the frame. With that said I'll take a look at that area and see if I can think of an ingenious way to keep water out.

Even on the new frames with the metal plate at the end; water gets in by aspirating along the headrest poles. Meaning if you ride in the rain you get sand and dirt collecting in the bottom of the frame. When I get my headrest dial in; I seal the opening of mine with clear silicone bathtub caulk works good and easy to remove. Also deadens some of the road vibrations that ride up the head rest.

Jason on the Old Silvo's there is no metal plate at the end of the hyrdo formed frame; is just a open letter "D" shape into which that plug Hardy is holding goes. If you made it just slightly to the side of the whole back of the frame you could probably ship it to someone with a 2.0 or 1.5 frame and they could file it down to exactly the right size and send it back. or have someone draw a pattern. With just V20 frame you'd really be eyeballing it to get it correct the first time.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Even on the new frames with the metal plate at the end; water gets in by aspirating along the headrest poles. Meaning if you ride in the rain you get sand and dirt collecting in the bottom of the frame. When I get my headrest dial in; I seal the opening of mine with clear silicone bathtub caulk works good and easy to remove. Also deadens some of the road vibrations that ride up the head rest.

Jason on the Old Silvo's there is no metal plate at the end of the hyrdo formed frame; is just a open letter "D" shape into which that plug Hardy is holding goes. If you made it just slightly to the side of the whole back of the frame you could probably ship it to someone with a 2.0 or 1.5 frame and they could file it down to exactly the right size and send it back. or have someone draw a pattern. With just V20 frame you'd really be eyeballing it to get it correct the first time.
This makes so much more sense now, I'll think on it.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Wow - I need to stay on top of things so I don't miss out.
@RojoRacing : I'll PM you my info if I can get on the list for batch #n

@Robert O - are you interested in one of these as well? I'll order two and have them shipped to our hill - then maybe we'll be FORCED to get together for a ride. :)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Wow - I need to stay on top of things so I don't miss out.
@RojoRacing : I'll PM you my info if I can get on the list for batch #n

@Robert O - are you interested in one of these as well? I'll order two and have them shipped to our hill - then maybe we'll be FORCED to get together for a ride. :)

:lol I like the way this guys thinks, holding product hostage has always been my go to method for riding with new people.

I still have half a dozen ready to go at the shop but I'm home for the weekend. I see your PM so go ahead and remind me on Monday and I'll ship one or two out depending on Roberts reply.

Nothing but good feedback so far from those who have received theirs. I know CruzBike is looking into mass production but for now I'll keep making them as needed. Not much to be made at $30 each but I was able to afford new brakes for the Vendetta so far and I'm very ok with that. :D