New Dates for Cruzbike Ride Retreat!

Maria Parker

Administrator
I messed up the save-the-date for the Cruzbike Ride Retreat, we'd planned to do it one weekend, but found the venue we liked was only available a different weekend. There's a new e-mail going out, but wanted you planners to know first: It's October 12-15th.

This is actually an incredibly beautiful time here in North Carolina, likely a lot better than August. It's the weekend after the Recumbent Convention which is in Philadelphia.

My apologies for the bad information earlier. I hope to see you all there!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
We've always targeted October in Myrtle Beach, SC (about 90min from White Lake, NC) as the weather is almost always pleasant that time of year. Since it is an 11hr drive over there we tend to pick dates where there is a holiday (to maximize use of our vacation days)...in this case it is "Columbus Day" (Monday, Oct 9, 2017) and we were planning on being there that week already.

Really looking forward to it. Esp. since I could not make it to Sebring this time around.

Alan W Dolbeer

Tentatively planning to drive over from near Atlanta. Assuming there is a ride on the 12th, I would want to arrive NLT the evening of the 11th. If others are doing the same, perhaps we could gather at the camp or some nearby place for a meet and greet? Any thoughts from anyone else?

CruzLike

Guru
I often think about the CB Retreat and I have the same 2 questions. This will be my first retreat and I don't know what to expect. I know there are a few months to go, but here they are.

I plan to bring my bride Lisa. She is not a biker. Should I tell her to bring a good book and find a place on the dock to entertain herself? Are other (non riding) spouses coming?

The plan right now is to go over to the coast after the retreat and enjoy the ocean for a few days. We've been to Myrtle Beach and could go back. Are there any recommendations on other towns to see that are less commonly known?CB Retreat.PNG

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I often think about the CB Retreat and I have the same 2 questions. This will be my first retreat and I don't know what to expect. I know there are a few months to go, but here they are.

I plan to bring my bride Lisa. She is not a biker. Should I tell her to bring a good book and find a place on the dock to entertain herself? Are other (non riding) spouses coming?

The plan right now is to go over to the coast after the retreat and enjoy the ocean for a few days. We've been to Myrtle Beach and could go back. Are there any recommendations on other towns to see that are less commonly known?View attachment 4450
Miz Diane isn't a bike person either (she owns a Sun delta trike...rarely ridden), she's simply staying at our house in Little River, SC and I'll be driving up to the retreat every day. There are lots of fun places to explore nearby, Wilmington for example. Loads of history in the area, if you're into that. We want to go see the Battleship North Carolina (eventually) but there's other stuff there too. If y'all are into shopping, just head to Myrtle Beach...multiple shopping malls, etc. Charlotte, NC is about 3hrs away. Of course, there's a lot of little places close to the coast. We like a little town called "Calabash, NC" (about 10min from our house)...but only because it has a big knick-knack shop ("Callahans") where we buy t-shirts, christmas presents, etc. for all the relatives.

Tuloose

Guru
I would like to attend but the logistics of getting across the country with a bike (or bikes if Tricia decides she wants to come along) are just too daunting.
Maybe next year the retreat will be up around Portland again?
I did spend some time in coastal NC once.
My first duty station after enlisting in the Air Force in 1964 was at Fort Fisher, a small radar station below Carolina Beach at the end of the Cape Fear peninsula.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I would like to attend but the logistics of getting across the country with a bike (or bikes if Tricia decides she wants to come along) are just too daunting.

On the registration form there is a question that asks if you will need to borrow a bike or if you're bringing your own. Since the retreat is only about 30 minutes from Cruzbike World Headquarters(?) i.e., Lumberton, NC, I'm guessing they'll have bikes for those who want to borrow one. Of course, there's nothing like your own, but maybe for a few days you could tolerate a loaner? Then you could fly in and be shuttled to the retreat site.
Just a thought.

NeaL

Guru
I see only one price for attending, but that fee covers a lot of things.
Are there any a la carte options? I have three non-participants who would be tagging along. Before I learned of the details, I was expecting to pitch a tent and cook over a fire for the days we're there.
In fairness to other attendees, I believe they'd prefer the company of three more Cruzbike enthusiasts, not have to put up with someone else's teenagers who are there, merely tolerating another of their dad's interests.

I say that with humorous intent, not to eclipse my children, the three known centers of the universe, in a dark, negative light.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Well, it has been a tough couple of months for us caregivers. We've had to burn most of our precious vacation time on emergencies of one sort or another; caring for your elderly parents isn't for the faint of heart. I have to cancel my attendance at the White Lake Retreat in October.

I was soooo looking forward to it!! :(

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Well, it has been a tough couple of months for us caregivers. We've had to burn most of our precious vacation time on emergencies of one sort or another; caring for your elderly parents isn't for the faint of heart. I have to cancel my attendance at the White Lake Retreat in October.

I was soooo looking forward to it!! :(
That is a bummer Marc, maybe something will change between now and then???? ;)

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
We both work for a living...so we each only get so many vacation hours per year. Can't afford to take time off without pay either. We have to reserve a buffer so that we can deal with emergencies. So, we had our monthly planning session last night and determined that we were pushing our limits and the pleasure trips got cut. :( I've sent my cancellation in to Cruzbike support.

My non-presence shouldn't affect the ride as I wasn't going to bunk there. I just won't get to meet and ride with my tribe. Maybe next time!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Gosh... That might be better for me, as the flight tickets will be cheaper. Let's have a look :cool::cool::cool::cruzbike:

augiedog

I would like to attend for just a day but do not own a Cruzbike. I would like to talk to some Cruzbike owners, do a test ride and get as much information about your bikes as possible. I am interested in the QX100 mainly for touring on road and rail type trails. Is this something that is allowed?
Thanks

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I would like to attend for just a day but do not own a Cruzbike. I would like to talk to some Cruzbike owners, do a test ride and get as much information about your bikes as possible. I am interested in the QX100 mainly for touring on road and rail type trails. Is this something that is allowed?
Thanks
Maria & Jim are doing the Grand Canyon run right now so they might not be available to answer right away. If you are not spending the night, then I do not think you will need to really sign up. Just come by. They usually will have all the models there for viewing and testing. We can set you up on a QX100 and do a test ride.

Last edited:

Tigerpaw

Of course I will be there- I'm even thinking of bring the "Prototype Vendetta" I set the UMCA world record Century on with (3:48:10) and let people try and ride it! :) Great video opportunity! Warning - seat at 2% from horizontal! :eek:
Let’s see, gunner bars and 2% seat angle? Definitely would be an interesting change. LOL