New Rider Tip. Bend your arms the same as your legs

Rampa

Guru
When I tried out my Sofrider when I was buying, it was set up such that my elbows were very bent. This really decreased the leverage I could produce.

I looked at arm position for the higher-end bikes, and decided that was best. So I Installed a longer stem so my arms at rest had about a 10% bend at the elbows. Huge difference! I could ride the thing pretty well immediately.

So, I suggest people try setting up their bikes so that your outstretched leg, and your arms with straight-ahead steering, have about the same amount of bend.

Brad R

On my T50, this would put my hands 6 inches or more in front of the steering mast. Is that really going to help?

I bought two handlebars. The one I have now has zero rise. The other has a 3 inch rise that can be reversed. If I get time this weekend and if my cables are long enough , I'll switch over and give the longer reach a try. The longer reach bars are heavier and wider. Will that help, hurt, or not matter much?

Rampa

Guru
That's how I set mine up. I'm also using flat bars, but that's just my preference. My theory is that you need equal leverage between arms and legs. The handlebars being wider than the cranks, and having your arms at their most optimal for leverage seems to balance the leverage from the legs on the pedals pretty well.

If the geometry works well for your body type, then yes, it's fine to have a longer stem. Another benefit is that you can then lean forward if you need to while keeping your elbows in front of your body. I noticed that if I get my elbows at my sides, or even behind me a little, it is much harder to pull on the bars if I want to.

Oh! There's a cooling benefit as well. No more sweaty pits! ;)

I much prefer straight (or nearly straight) arms. More aero. Feels less crowded in the cockpit. Makes it easier to sit up a bit and pull on the handlebars if I feel like it. Maybe that doesn't apply for a T50.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Too straight and you get tendonitis in the forearms. Not good. If you aren't doing hills you will probably get away with it. But straight arms with hills... it will take it's toll.

Too straight and you get tendonitis in the forearms. Not good. If you aren't doing hills you will probably get away with it. But straight arms with hills... it will take it's toll.
Thanks David. Yeah, they aren't completely straight, just mostly straight.