New S 40 build

joy

Hi Joy,

In comparison did you ever try any of the Silvio / Quest / QX100 on the same hill? Are you able to compare steep slope traction between them? How did you have them set up?

A weird thing but I am curious if you put weight in the panniers if that would have an effect. I seem to have better traction on the front with weight hanging on the back of my seat - strange as that seems. The only thing I can think of is that this might smooth out my cadence, maintain momentum, or possibly shift a small amount of weight further forward.

I never tried the S30, because that had road tires. I also haven't ridden the Qx on it, as I bought it, the S40 came out and that was the end of the Qx for me. I'll try the S40 again with lower tire pressure. On another note, we rode some of the Erie Canal trail recently. The S40 was great. It was fine on the paved sections and better on the grass, dirt, stone dust. Felt just perfect. Just bought a set of wheels for road tires, so I'll be trying them soon too.

joy

Thanks, I had seen it. I mostly ride a rail trail with it, and only have issues there on road crossings where the trail is much lower than the road. On the road, I have Conti 28’s and haven’t had any issues on pavement. Oh, and I just bought a Trident Terrain trike, full fat 26’s, so that will be my new woods, local gravel road machine!

joy

They are fine. However, I only weigh 130 lbs. and don’t ride them hard. I usually ride them on packed gravel. Can’t say how a heavier rider or rougher riding would go. Having said that, I do have a comment on Velocity. I originally ordered less expensive wheels from them on line. The transaction went through. A couple days later, I got an email stating that the ordered wheels were not in stock and not expected to be for a while. They then offered me the Ailerons for the same price. Of course I said yes. Good service!

Ken Rudd

S40, Apex, NC
I've used Velocity for years. I'm a "Clydesdale" rider at 6'5", and use my bike for regular commuting, so I need tough wheels. Used Deep-V rims when I used to run a DF, then Dyad/Atlas rims on my SWB. When it came time for wheels on my S40, I called Velocity, expecting to order another set of Deep-V based rims, but they convinced me to go Aileron, as I did not need rim brake compatibility. Went with a 40h setup based on their Tandem hubs ( narrowed to 135mm in rear). Not quite at 1,000km yet, but rock solid and true. Will post again at 10,000km as to how they hold up!