New to CruzBike and considering a purchase of the V20 frameset

I am new to Cruz bikes and this forum. I’ve been riding a Felt Tri bike for a few years and an Easy Racer Gold Rush for over 15 years. I’m considering a change and after researching all the different recumbent bikes.

I’ve been drawn to Cruz Bikes and specifically Vendetta V20. I am seriously considering a purchase of the V20 frame-set and add my own components (hopefully the boss approves : )

I’ve been sourcing out different components and wonder if there are words of wisdom regarding my potential choices. I’ve been looking at DURA ACE WH-9000 C24 CL CLINCHER wheels, Shimano WH-RS81 C35 Carbon, Cero AR30 wheels, for instance and just wondering if there are some wheels to consider over others regarding strength, durability, etc.

Other component suggestions and ideas would be great if someone has a strong propensity toward certain components because of price point, weight, durability, smoothness, etc.

Thanks, Kurt :)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Kurt - Not sure you are interested in a complete bike, but check this one out on our "for sale" thread
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/my-vendetta-v2-2-for-sale-on-brol.10905/

It is truly an exceptional bike - it was mine and I traded it for an M1 6 months ago as I already had another Vendetta and figured I did not need 2 of them.
I would buy it back if I had the cash- but alas - no. :(

Feel free to email me at larryoslund@gmail.com and I can talk with you more about it and get you in touch with the guy that is selling it.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Other component suggestions and ideas would be great if someone has a strong propensity toward certain components because of price point, weight, durability, smoothness, etc.

Welcome Kurt

Pretty much all the standard stuff will work. A good starting point is to spec it the way you'd want it for your dream road bike that's aligned with your budget. Post the list and we can review the list for you and give you feed back. There are enough component jockey's lurking around here that you get solid feed back. Knowing your target riding terrain, target speeds and distances will help every give you better feedback.

If it's SRAM, Shimano, FSA, Rotor several people where will have feed back on each brand and models. Wheels are quiet the same; can good Carbon will will be great, and the A67 wheels from Cruzbike are all a great choice and a steal at the price which can keep your budget down while you splurge on other components; and then double back with Carbon wheels later on.

You'll find a Bill of Materials spreadsheet in my build thread
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/vendetta-v20-build-diary-2016.10189/

Specifically here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/73jlrsd9kyhegak/vbom.xlsx?dl=0

It meant to be a tool for people building from a kit so you don't over look things. You can use it to spec and compare different components. It's preloaded with a low end and high set of parts add in your own parts is trivial if you grok spreadsheets.

Robert O

I have a number of seasoned cyclist friends who are riding those WH-9000 C24 wheels, and speak very highly of them. Disclaimer, I took a less expensive route to start.

ratz

I have a number of seasoned cyclist friends who are riding those WH-9000 C24 wheels, and speak very highly of them. Disclaimer, I took a less expensive route to start.

This are pretty exhaustive reviews and the WH-9000 and their brethren always score well. I haven't had time to read the new 2016 article yet.

THE BEST WHEELS FOR ROAD BIKES WITH DISC BRAKES – 2016

THE BEST AERO ALL-AROUND ROAD BIKE WHEELS

CHOOSING THE BEST ALL-AROUND WHEELSETS FOR THE ROAD CYCLIST – 2015

I'm hopefully going to be able to pull the trigger on a V20 frameset this year..... I have a limited budget and am beginning the process of purchasing components. One area I've been thinking about is the crankshaft arm length. I've checked out bikesmithdesign to become familiar with the available options. I am 5'10" and X-seam = 43". Does anyone have any recommendations about the crank arm length should I be considering? Thanks, Kurt

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I'm hopefully going to be able to pull the trigger on a V20 frameset this year..... I have a limited budget and am beginning the process of purchasing components. One area I've been thinking about is the crankshaft arm length. I've checked out bikesmithdesign to become familiar with the available options. I am 5'10" and X-seam = 43". Does anyone have any recommendations about the crank arm length should I be considering? Thanks, Kurt
This is a starting point. http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/crank_angle.asp
Seems like cranks for any bent rider is always shorter than for DF.
I can ride 130-150 pretty comfortably. I am 5'7" (when properly stretched out) - and X-seam of about 41".
But I think it really boils down to the proportions between your upper and lower legs.
Good Luck

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I'm roughly your height and x-seam. I use 150 mm crank arms and love them. I, personally, will never go longer than 150 mm again.

ratz

I'm roughly your height and x-seam. I use 150 mm crank arms and love them. I, personally, will never go longer than 150 mm again.
Ditto and I'm on 155mm at 5'9' with 45" xseam;

153mm are kind of the porage is just right for people in the 5'10" and 42-44" range.

I saw this crankset on ebay. Would it work?

EXCELLENT USED CONDITION Cobb Cycling crankset, 155mm arm, 130bcd, 5 arm spider, for use with GXP bottom bracket. Some surface scraping on the drive side arm as you'd expect from a used crank. Was installed on a P3 with BBright - the GXP spindle makes this highly adaptable. The P3 was recently converted to a 1x drivetrain, so these need to move on to a good home .....

Thanks, Kurt

ratz

I saw this crankset on ebay. Would it work?

EXCELLENT USED CONDITION Cobb Cycling crankset, 155mm arm, 130bcd, 5 arm spider, for use with GXP bottom bracket. Some surface scraping on the drive side arm as you'd expect from a used crank. Was installed on a P3 with BBright - the GXP spindle makes this highly adaptable. The P3 was recently converted to a 1x drivetrain, so these need to move on to a good home .....

Thanks, Kurt

130BCD = smallest chain ring you can run is 38T so it depends on the gearing your need.

I'm considering Rotor Q rings and it looks like I'd have to have a 110BCD crank to be Rotor Q ring compatible from what I've learned so far.

Disregard ....... I found Rotor Q-rings 130BCD! :oops:

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Q-rings are better in 130BCD because the bolt pattern is evenly spaced the whole way around so you can always achieve the angle you want. With 110BCD it's possible to get unlucky and end up in a funny spot with some styles of cranks and be just a little limited of what you wanted.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I have a used 42T black Q-ring, 130BCD, from my old road bike. 2000 to 3000 miles on it, still looks pretty good. If anyone's interested, send me a PM and we'll discuss.

130BCD = smallest chain ring you can run is 38T so it depends on the gearing your need.

After considering 130BCD and the smallest chain ring size that it allows, I'm thinking 110BDC may be more accommodating.

I live in Wisconsin in a mostly flat terrain with rollers and some bigger hills and a 130BCD may be fine since I'm more of a masher type of rider but, ..... after reading the Q - Ring thread, most riders appear to find the 110BDC available chain ring sizes to be the most suitable for most riding purposes.

ratz

After considering 130BCD and the smallest chain ring size that it allows, I'm thinking 110BDC may be more accommodating.

I live in Wisconsin in a mostly flat terrain with rollers and some bigger hills and a 130BCD may be fine since I'm more of a masher type of rider but, ..... after reading the Q - Ring thread, most riders appear to find the 110BDC available chain ring sizes to be the most suitable for most riding purposes.

From experience being born and raised in the fox valley. 130BCD is fine around there. Madison / LaCrosse you will want the 110BCD... I ride my Cruzbike in both areas now and then I need the 110 to have access to both unless I want to permanently mount a 11-36 on the drive wheel.