TheCaki

Hi guys!
I've been a new ower of a QX100 for three weeks now. Thanks Jim Parker for the test the ride!
Anyway, first just an introduction. I'm an IT office warrior and have been commuting to work for the last 14 years. I started using a MTB, felt the need for speed and moved to an hybrid and after some time to an road bike. After a few years on the road bike, I developed a shoulder pain that no bike fitting would make it go away. So I settled for a Trike and have been using it daily for the last two years (Trident Stowaway). While I love the Trike I have been doing long distance rides and it is a pain to transport it and to climb the hills. So that bring me to Cruzbike.

As a new owner, here are some impressions:
-I really like the machine. Cool looking and I specially like the ability to fold it for transportation. Looking at luggage now to decide if I should get smaller wheels to fit on an airline sized case. I'm planning on getting the suitcase and then checking if I need smaller wheels to fit.
-Loved the quality of the bike construction. Every joint well welded, everything solid. Give me hope it will not end up like the trike where I had to weld the frame twice due to cracks developed due to use.
-On the first week it developed an weird noise on the front wheels. After a lot of troubleshooting, about a 1/3 of spokes were loose. I've seem that reported on other threads, so it happened to me too.
-I always thought that I was a speed daemon on the trike, but I realize now that it is just because I'm closer to the ground. I'm already matching my speeds on the Qx100 and hoping for more improvement as I get more familiar.
-Learning to ride it has been a challenge. I've commute on roads with bike paths that are too scary if you are wobbling all over the place. In one hand a wobbling is very helpful to make cars give me more space, but I would rather do it intentionally.

So that brings me to a question I have as a beginner. Any tips on how to improve my riding? I've noticed yesterday and today that if I counter the feet movement by exerting pressure on the handbars with my hands I can reduce a lot the wobbling and almost go on a straight line. I've struggled to do that on the downhills, so I'm not able to pedal fast downhill yet. Any tips for an intermediate rider?

Thansk
Paulo

1happyreader

zen/child method
Any tips on how to improve my riding? I've noticed yesterday and today that if I counter the feet movement by exerting pressure on the handbars with my hands I can reduce a lot the wobbling and almost go on a straight line.
Try the open palms against the grips drill.
relax,,relax ,,relax. it's OK if the bike wobbles a little. Time on the bike will make a lot of this go away.
Keep your chin up, shoulders back, make sure you are sighting toward the horizon.
gradually increase your cadence in a lower gear with an eye to smooth out your pedaling action.
later,,,, bye

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
So that brings me to a question I have as a beginner. Any tips on how to improve my riding? I've noticed yesterday and today that if I counter the feet movement by exerting pressure on the handbars with my hands I can reduce a lot the wobbling and almost go on a straight line. I've struggled to do that on the downhills, so I'm not able to pedal fast downhill yet. Any tips for an intermediate rider?

Repeated 5 minutes of slow speed practice at the start and end of every ride will solve most issues in a really short time.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
After initial time to learn the basics,

http://cruzbike.com/learn-to-ride

Then putting in the time (miles) gets your body more and more acclimated to doing anything new to it becoming more like second nature, that is, being an unconscious competent at that activity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_competence

And continue skills training to avoid "bad habits" becoming unconscious incompetencies! Bad habits are difficult to break (or keep from coming back tmp_7984-Caki-1031380667.jpg ) without consciously working on the skills training.

Last edited:

TheCaki

Hi:
Just want to give an update. I've been using the Qx100 daily for at least 10 miles and sometimes more. I can go in a straight line, pedal downhill and I'm comfortable riding in traffic with cars now. I appreciate the feedback and suggestions you guys gave. Every time I try to understand what I'm doing to go on a straight line I start swerving, then I hear on the back of my head "Trust the force, Luke" and I relax and let go.
Anyway, who said an old dog can't learn new tricks.. it just take longer.
Now off to resolving other issues. Some knee pain but I experienced the same on the Trike, so I just ordered a shorter crank arms and that probably should take care of that.