NJ and TT's

Al Wolf

The past few years I have been doing a time trial, Pedricktown TT in NJ. This year I have done 2 others on top of that. One was the state championships that they let me ride in. So, I guess that makes me state champion. Lol. I was thinking about approaching the NJBA, which is the governing body for TT's in NJ, and asking them if they would possibly add a category for recumbents to the state time trial series.

I'm looking for advice if someone has tried this before in your home state. Also looking for Cruzbike/ other recumbents to join me in some of the races. There are at least 4 races that'll add recumbents that I'm sure of. This is for next year as this year is starting to wrap up.

Thanks
Al

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
So, I guess that makes me state champion.
Congrats! I'd join you if NJ was not so far away.
I don't have any advice to give you about asking to add recumbents as a class within your state. I have tried to get them to add them to Senior Games in NC and all they tell me is that they follow UCI rules. No hope if the is the case.

Lucia

Administrator
Staff member
@LarryOz and @Al Wolf - Maria has had a couple of productive talks with the folks at NC Senior games recently - Al, if you send her an email (maria@cruzbike.com) she may be able to share some of what she's learned talking with USA Triathlon and NC Senior Games! Thank you for leading this in NJ!

Al Wolf

Well so far things are not going well. Here is the response I received from the one of the the officers of the NJBA.

"Al, I'm glad you reached out to me. We can certainly discuss adding a recumbent category to the TT cup. I'm not sure that it would be part of the point series the first year unless we saw that there was interest from multiple riders but we can certainly discuss having them at the events so you can have a safe, organized event to ride in. We were also discussing adding some para-athlete categories last season but we never got past the discussion part of it I guess. I'll pass this along to the Cup committee and see what they think".

While it sounds good at first, they never got back to me. I contacted them back in December. I also contacted a couple organizers of 2 TT's , one didn't respond the other was less than positive. His response was "I'll look into it and get back to you". Needless to say he didn't get back to me either.

Feeling pissed!!

ed72

Zen MBB Master
The past few years I have been doing a time trial, Pedricktown TT in NJ. This year I have done 2 others on top of that. One was the state championships that they let me ride in. So, I guess that makes me state champion. Lol. I was thinking about approaching the NJBA, which is the governing body for TT's in NJ, and asking them if they would possibly add a category for recumbents to the state time trial series.

I'm looking for advice if someone has tried this before in your home state. Also looking for Cruzbike/ other recumbents to join me in some of the races. There are at least 4 races that'll add recumbents that I'm sure of. This is for next year as this year is starting to wrap up.

Thanks
Al

Al, I'm from NJ. Interesting in doing some TTs although I did not reup my USAcyycling license this year. I did not see any recumbent TT last year in NJ and the Pedrickstown is the only one I see this year.

I did happen across the one on Rt 29 along the river.

I casually rode up to each minute man. Dinged my bell and said, "nice day to ride"

KneeDrachen

I realize you're discussing TTS, but if you want an "organized" challenge, the NJ Gran Fondo is allowing 'bents to participate including timing chips etc.

Jesse Groves

The Ft. Desoto TT series in Florida, which is sanctioned by USA Cycling, has added a recumbent class this year after many years of resistance. I believe there will be 3 - 6 bent riders doing at least some of the TTs in the series. I am looking forward to it much like a poke in the eye...I basically agreed to do it if they opened it up to recumbents; in my defense, I did not actually think they would ever allow it...that’s what being a pessimist gets you.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
The Ft. Desoto TT series in Florida, which is sanctioned by USA Cycling, has added a recumbent class this year after many years of resistance. I believe there will be 3 - 6 bent riders doing at least some of the TTs in the series. I am looking forward to it much like a poke in the eye...I basically agreed to do it if they opened it up to recumbents; in my defense, I did not actually think they would ever allow it...that’s what being a pessimist gets you.
That is great news! You have to get Kyle involved, as we know how much he loves TT's.\\
When are these happening Jesse?

I have a local TT that I do. They of course have points and everything, but I am in my own class - and the "real" winners are declared through the upright class. But at least I have the knowledge of knowing I am riding faster than everyone else. :)
I also have the Charlotte Motorspeedy 10M TT's (about 2 hours away) that start next month and run for 6 months. Same thing, they have a recumbent class but no one really cares.

I wish we all were not so far apart, as it would be nice to support each other at these various events.

Jesse Groves

That is great news! You have to get Kyle involved, as we know how much he loves TT's.\\
When are these happening Jesse?

I have a local TT that I do. They of course have points and everything, but I am in my own class - and the "real" winners are declared through the upright class. But at least I have the knowledge of knowing I am riding faster than everyone else. :)
I also have the Charlotte Motorspeedy 10M TT's (about 2 hours away) that start next month and run for 6 months. Same thing, they have a recumbent class but no one really cares.

I wish we all were not so far apart, as it would be nice to support each other at these various events.

Hey Larry, the first one is this coming Thursday and then there is one every month on the last Thursday until Sept or Oct I think. I think Kyle knows about the series because the Schlitters had posted it on FB a while back, but haven’t heard if he is doing it.

For this first one coming next week, it may just be me and Sandor, but maybe Alex and Steve Olsen too. The Schlitters are out of town.

Right now, my short distance speed/power is not so good, but will hopefully improve over the series.