Oops, I did it again... Introducing the Folding CruziTandem

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Well, I got bored again... Really, it just kind of happened.

O.k. That's not true. I like Cruzbikes. And I wanted a Tandem. And Cruzbike was nice enough to sell me what I needed, so, without further ado, here is the Folding CruziTandem:

6kCia-DsbBrR50tmpko7A9GieGwDyPFv1hZq_BvooNJGbtv4WydtTcuj7qt4jDM-PxiP3UMi7zIuan_ojz3_5pnhlcbK2IPEjEy9MjXv7U3HMDQ7d2BNHejwIUlYMkjQn3D_qKbBsMsiOOSm-L4NCN-KLtOieHk26MMjNBsAiUVwfjFakc65kkQjlfdzIm5nHmm5k8qkWU38aH3O5K7zIZ0tLeblC31mB5tOWjVatfaEQlRcJu46wwEw2ScXcOhcsKNOwf8O9ZdNBJpF-WHP11MRAZuOvbie0RKX0z_E982Y8CDk5R9x4lCZJ3geDuCo_lLthtV3cODg1Q2-ZzBP7rEBp3LJSK2hpPxko76P6Xpk4wWFfMfTYfEWKKZ0xiB-gt1knZIfb4carN8STCBsmEqTm4oHvarvFgVBabWVnIUNmhx6D_XAwXZ3UZBVSa7eKV4_A4rnzDM6UEiy8UEafy0Db0ZmYOylVaFTGLUwdkZyQLC86XGbEJ4xYC5lu7zr-wffwzIHnbNY-yNWR7AD5SmNlp409i-HgPEjecFChGVohnwViw1eTqfoRNc8i6pkYZAREgezl6BkzgR8lEviSBGtxwNKlY0L_hbnkM4gE8qCv5HdxSQXwjnORt3WM_98am3InYPNtICwU_AFcG91jmQfXY82dfih4N8zo-dYbA=w1352-h1015-no
lwFvarLn-Sw54YCdLemHWlNzhqdhDHNQMSQyfMbOhvUCgUk-dFGiQpmXMqRAkn-gkiDFYJTW498ut6w8WK24LEjHZbQAVxTYCu77WxAcC-4Hw1ldSEnxdq6Wpqgf2NB6xlf4SBlVN4yqzGM5sDR9YzwRM-ACwKNFsZ4DfSHskfH_WhLC3AeaS3syZJP6RFnqOIr4TSc05_42Mbc411FO9j5WWlk0ZHh3jtz9FBjo2hCL-xoMaNq8vUvnUnCaFLMZjSboVIlYs24cpNulSIvrlYxxMEsk-YoosIHkYM_QNL6fGb_ZVwlOvoWWn2lYWoatCxWBCGT1FJjrX3lBlsf8ueDb-NxZYn_h8vQx7_H1aQa-FH4XGSLzEnhH1sXatCue29TmM2mNY8ek1Q7PAeUyOObS8BZTaNJ7Tm_qrR698PrHYHq319k6iU7CIHYq80DHCDI2iwj3EoG9QJzELDnI9tY1t6N_N8aaWEi0VdQe6mhffR4_GrjSLK1StQCRRtBIEoXziEJNbDfiJyr1NYFzuoFLgxMNLYkAYjZ0abXlrnFyfb3gL1_3ERHasS1VBuOT4VY2YfdgimFaxmTpNBw2BxekrAZh74_crdMENR4WiOrFrrYBfgxLomF92EHTlFAyNkXqn_kSP53dhutyC6h6qom6vNwe4mDIsDc8j93b7A=w1352-h1015-no

It is possibly the longest MBB bike in existence (and quite possibly not). It rides like a Cadillac because it is so long. Getting an adult on the back will be non-trivial, but I've got ideas.

Cheers,
Charles

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Charles, I told you are a "Wise man", and you have just proved it again!!!
AND with Photos!!!

A great adaption!!!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Genius!

Did you cut the back part of the frame off?

I didn't do anything to the frame. I started with a folding tandem frame and added the Cruzbike front triangle from conversion and two Cruzbike seats (Cruzbike had enough parts to sell me 1 and 1/2 Cruzbike kits after they announced they weren't making them anymore).

117507380916258937_79593218353c.jpg

I used hard rubber triangles to make the front seat flatter than the steep front angle it would otherwise be. And I'll use rubber rectangles to raise the rear seat for taller riders.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Great job!
Just reaching out on a limb here, but my guess it is cold there! :D

Oh yeah, and I really like how you are "thinking" ahead - already got the cranks ready for when you convert into FWD-MBB-built-for-3!;)

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Great job!
Just reaching out on a limb here, but my guess it is cold there! :D

Oh yeah, and I really like how you are "thinking" ahead - already got the cranks ready for when you convert into FWD-MBB-built-for-3!;)

I think I'll eventually remove that crankset and just connect the two chains for the rear drive train.

I left it because, in principle, I could remove the rear seat and have somebody ride the rear as a regular bicycle. (I think that it would probably make the bike much harder to balance.)

I have two kids and might add a trail-a-bike. That would might make this bike the world's first 3x3x3 cycle (3 people, 3 wheels, 3 drive wheels).

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
My mistake. Now I look properly at the pictures I can see it is a conversion-kit. I did not think there were any more of those left. You should keep the chainwheel under the back seat and fix a hub to it and have loads of gears.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
My mistake. Now I look properly at the pictures I can see it is a conversion-kit. I did not think there were any more of those left. You should keep the chainwheel under the back seat and fix a hub to it and have loads of gears.

I bought the kit when they announced they weren't making them anymore (and they very nicely sold me the parts for the second seat at the same time).

For the back, I'll probably remove the unused crankset and replace the front crankset (of the stoker) with a triple (and upgrade the rear wheel as well - it's currently a 6 speed freewheel that came with the bike).

I think I'll eventually remove that crankset and just connect the two chains for the rear drive train.

I left it because, in principle, I could remove the rear seat and have somebody ride the rear as a regular bicycle. (I think that it would probably make the bike much harder to balance.)

I have two kids and might add a trail-a-bike. That would might make this bike the world's first 3x3x3 cycle (3 people, 3 wheels, 3 drive wheels).
3 words: Bears on Wheels!

Cruzbike Chris

I love it when folks think outside the box, makes for solutions to problems others didn't know existed!
Brilliant job Charles. I started with a conversion myself and wished I would have kept it for nostalgic reasons. Some day they will be wanted far and wide! And it looks like a lot of fun too.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I would like to have enough space to accommodate it. It is a bike for two people who have had a terrible argument and refuse to look at each other. I imagine them both riding no-hands, so they can sit with their arms folded. Bloody well steer it where you like. I don't bloody care any more.