Panniers

NeaL

Guru
If you use panniers, please share your experiences and reviews of them here. Include your custom-made ones and innovations if market-available ones were not compatible with your Cruzbikes.

Last edited:

NeaL

Guru
Because my last name happens to be "Brooks," I've been itching to get some Brooks brand panniers.
The company is British while their Suffolk and Land's End panniers are made in Germany. English quality with German engineering, that's a double-whammy in higher costs right there!

I was going down this list of panniers when I noticed that the brand name of the ones offered on the Cruzbike.com Accessories page, Axiom, is listed on here.
https://www.cyclingabout.com/complete-list-of-panniers-for-bicycle-touring/

The Axiom panniers which Cruzbike is selling are a set of two for less money than the price of one Brooks pannier. And while the Brooks panniers claim 22-23 liter capacity, the Axiom have 24.7 liters. That extra space might be worth it. That, plus they have reflective strips which the Brooks ones don't seem to have.

So I just order a pair of Axiom panniers. After I've commuted to work enough times to justify the extra expense, I plan on still getting the Brooks bags because this, here, four bags, is my dream set-up, if not on my Sofrider then maybe an S-40 someday, once I lose the weight, because currently I am way over the S40's rated weight capacity. I'm probably too heavy for the Sofrider as well, but I got it off of Craigslist for cheap so if I break it, it's no great loss.

s40-feature-racks.jpg

By "dream set-up," I mean this picture but with foot pedals.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
Radical design banana racers. Turn vendetta into a gto. Also throw them over trike seat and with ortleib panniers and top bag I'm good for weeks with room to spare.

2x 5L dry sack with shoulder straps. $32 which is much cheaper than any set of panniers I have seen. Could add more or use a larger dry sack if more space is required
zBmJagcJZabyeUiEFNHy6Uv3CWIOkmKNP6M78bLQwY52c-p6s6H8Guw6afs8nyDVkX_pi9eR_pTsTD5frUAL7eLVqgCajyWmgbKXm0KARAXGB5HLT8EGoGxNXiDpVjGBbBRJpudIaeG_1MDvoDzB1q_iDH6grTBlfkMkh55JPYgo21oU3eg0dDUZwxBDPRpLbplDllnrsAR2K0CUIwzEsw9Gj8OPpvHsn6ShezEjUdWtlEYj1vbeVazjw8o0F8FWq0G3NJL5qURiRYZ6Mny1GEesdJqgv25jDMak72mCYJxk5liMt9CVFdz0kjbNVCCeR6FK1oiek84VlzO6ayd3GGMLdiTQtRNRlDRqu6ArwQeQlMEEB09Qil3EzOm7X5VB9S_1SyUVBwvWDTssW6gyGdPBww2riBeLXsL3aWr_pgByAvtO6L-pDtY9vmZvwV2-dIxu6R9fLnKCuZxQ5kmBZuGv1oV_aQKqN7ifdEax4mA027320yny-71nNK1NMAfW6vmRwOpld0XsjvChO9soWUN99tqze8ElDykSxp6nKcR2R0gsN7XUU5TBJgYqv3euXVBeUtOWMQSlqdhUYjWz2_URGg4UadNaDWllBmHr_LPWOLZTQxv3XZufCmEQG-AZKpnBSWmoMdIjfvyFrsw-aNFCmkq_DK9Z9fEJ3LdKgw=w497-h662-no
rcEY6s9qNG0vpv0hxWU3KDfHvI0QoGA1ECXPARZCbzn7h9JmzHJ0ENeQ9z5-LVOQlONAOw7RIs2yOd4VSkF2ey4bK-xhAXta_l9F086P6QxbzUoUHuNmQsgNpcudYXN2IuQbHlkD3-usCfV29hH2A9Sw6l2O-xdGWha0KqycO6OTNngSl6xLyjAf2wFN6uU7tEKvUqU_i67j9LhqTzoc2bcgaMdK6SpdJKY-GWXnJLdt4oBnT8POxbfs19GHf9mvIjVRCsiBhhsjkkcdPD-7ijRX0kNCguuuuQsK-JnjQqvVehswvBmjsRd_m6i7_dx2c4LFYIqwX7pjZJV0StoTqIJiU31s7ZKTGRJpeOELArP3WG5g2uQT4Xd7bZHLoQKafUPqdddafh-n54uZ0Bs2LMWr6AeXYJxeGU4fHpeYFtNimsNF1USvLWLTvuUlfPSs3wweavmFxiJhYjULJdUQMZhD06Dk8KGAKSzFaqT1Q0ZawE787qPjWaAGjJmJZiml09nVd6qPfTELGH6nl6x4kqPSlySlsods-eYC23xEhRjRbeUd0t1VzKg5iNef5Rkd9hSaRYYpFQgRq5HsQuKB62WBgl-IcurUgkrlPGhhhoJ28Zx-3yeg0lW6f0GtOJBhGhBR3yQZ9mP3290RdaebRWCf_0iNZWvrRIXXfY-rJA=w497-h662-no

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I have Radical banana on my Grasshopper. They are huge. They have no side-straps to restrain them, so when they are lightly loaded they lift up like wings. When I go round corners the bag on the inside of the turn hangs vertically down. If I go round too fast it drags on the ground. Probably because of the small wheels.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I quite like Hardy's use of guncovers for PBP. That got them running for cover

NeaL

Guru
Just a little update. I got a package with the Axiom panniers mentioned above in the mail, this week.

One of my main concerns was whether I'd be able to fit my MacBook Pro in them. It's difficult for me to visualize dimensions of a flexible cloth bag, based only on volume capacity. My MacBook measures 14"x10" (that's 35.56cm x 25.40cm for those of you who grew up in countries which have landed absolutely no one on the moon, let alone 12 people, along with three moon buggies laying down tracks which read, "Made in U.S.A.") and I carry it in a floppy cloth bag with an outside pocket stuffed with electrical cords, bulky DC-adaptor plugs, lip balm, tins of breath mints, tiny bottles of 5 hour energy liquid supplements, unopened mail from weeks ago, etc.

My laptop and full computer bag fit inside one of the Axiom panniers from the Cruzbike accessories page just fine, with plenty of room to spare. So now you know.