PBP 2015

LMT

Thought I'd revive this. Good write up Lee. I successfully completed PBP 2015 on my DF and it is indeed a great event I'll be returning to in 2019. The 2019 pre qualification and qualification have now been published.

Am I right in thinking you ran LED lights and if so which ones? My current bikes have a Hub Dynamo light setup which I'm assuming not as common on Cruzbikes.

Front light was a Fenix BC30, this runs on 18650 batteries which I had a spare set in the bag. The rear light was a standard LED light that you get from your LBS, again a spare set of AAA I had in the bag.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Very nice account, Lee. I also completed PBP in 2015. The enthusiasm of spectators and fans from village to village was quite a memory for me personally. Passing the Motos at 48 mph bridging back after an unglued climb was fun, the Motos are the same ones on the tour. I figured they would not flinch and sure enough, they were totally aware. When I asked where the WC was at the (empty) Villaine control both times, they took me by the hand and showed me.....maybe cause I looked old but was there pretty early. I don't know but they make you feel special.

The one tip in your posts that should not be overlooked for anyone trying it the first time. It is cold at night and very damp as in 38-42F with dew dripping off you. On the first night between Tintineac and Loudiac, my cycling glasses were dripping with moisture but since it was early in the ride, I was not cold. The important thing is on the second night in the same area, it feels much colder because the body is starting to get weak and a wool jersey can make a huge difference.

Regarding the hills, they are not long but they are constant. I measured 38,000 feet in 1230 km. Flatlanders like in Florida would be advise to trek out to Sugarloaf north of Orlando and do that like 100 times in a day or at least 50 to get a sense.