RAAM time to spread the word again about 3000 miles to a cure

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Will there be only one Spot tracker for the team, that is moved onto the competing bike at the change over?
How long will each rider's ride go for?

There is one per bike; the display will be 4 up. Rotation depends on the terrain.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Will there be only one Spot tracker for the team, that is moved onto the competing bike at the change over?
How long will each rider's ride go for?
We each have a Quarq, and when not riding the bike it will be off, so only one should be on and visible at a time.
Rotation times:
Our plan is to ride as 2 teams of 2 riders in 6 hour sessions. That gives each team a nice 6 hour break evrey 6 hours.
Kevin and I will most likely do pulls anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes.
Not sure what Maria and Jim have planned.
In the beginning and on other really hard climbs we all plan on working together doing pulls as short as 5 minutes to keep the speed as high as possible.

ratz

It's fair to say that our competitors Are competitive. Weather will have something to say about it

McWheels

Off the long run
Can you change bikes as you go? Have a pair of S40s for the steep bits and flatten out to a V20 for the downs and flats?

ratz

Can you change bikes as you go? Have a pair of S40s for the steep bits and flatten out to a V20 for the downs and flats?

You could, but the orthogonality of a full mesh of gear gets exponentially expensive. When you have 4 primary and 4 backups bikes. The backups do double duty functioning as spare parts

8 bikes is a lot to put on the road and organize.

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
You could, but the orthogonality of a full mesh of gear gets exponentially expensive. When you have 4 primary and 4 backups bikes. The backups do double duty functioning as spare parts

8 bikes is a lot to put on the road and organize.

Plus I think I've proven the V20 climbs plenty well enough that you'd be splitting hairs.

ratz

Another way to put it we needed a motel tonight just to store the parts for safety over night on our way to oceanside. The beds are just a a side benefit,

LarryOz

I am bringing a "wedge" to stick behind my seat (to make it 30 instead of 20 degrees) for extended climbs. This changes my hip angle and I am able to make more power.
I will not be as aero, but it doesn't matter when you are only going 10-12mph.

I could always make more power on the Silvio compared to the Vendetta, but the Vendetta is so aero that it goes faster on less power! :D

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Another way to put it we needed a motel tonight just to store the parts for safety over night on our way to oceanside. The beds are just a a side benefit,
That's the more ridiculous thing I've heard in awhile and I love it :lol

LarryOz

The Cruzbike team will start on Saturday June 17 at about 12 noon PDT.

The teams you saw start today were for the Race Across the West (RAW) category.
I hope no one started! I'm sitting at the airport right now 5:51am EDT waiting to get on my plane to Oceanside!
Correct - RAAM teams start on Saturday the 17th at 12 noon (although I am not 100% sure of the time zone.
RAAM seems to want everything on the EDT time, so not sure if the 12 noon is PDT or EDT.

I am not 100% sure of the time zone.

From the 2017 RAAM gear guide: http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/assets/2017_raam_gear_january.pdf

It says:

Race Time
RAAM travels across 4 time zones. During the race the official time for reporting and tracking racers will ALWAYS be that of the US Eastern Time Zone, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) in military time (24-hour clock).

Then after they say that, they use PDT for the start. Go figure.

Start Times
Start times listed are Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) which is local time in Oceanside, CA.
• Tuesday, June 13, 2017 12:00pm – Solo Racers.
• Saturday, June 17, 2017 12:00pm – All Teams.
Add 3 hours for Race Time/Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).

telephd

Guru
If we can get everything sorted out my wife and I would like to head over to Oceanside and send the team off. Will likely be able to arrive early to provide a pair of hands for last minute tasks. Let me know if that would be beneficial.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Where is the tracker link? I am trying to follow this on my smartphone and it's impossible.

ratz

When running and with cell coverage the 3000 miles tracker will be more accurate as that's a GPS device on each bike. The RAAM tracker is in the follow car which goes for gas, rotates etc. RAAM tracker watches when we cross TimeStations.To keep the trackers live we aren't shutting the off when on the cars; only at shift change.