Rear Trunk Storage Case

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'm thinking since I don't use the stock Cruzbike Headrest or it's tubed rails I could utilize that area for some rearward storage. I use a Givi hard plastic case on the rear on my motorcycle and love it but at $300-400 they can be a bit pricey. I was just doing some searching around and found that Givi now makes bicycle specific cases starting at $60-70 and this one CA based website has the large one discounted to $30. The idea would be to get some 3/4" alloy tubing and insert it into the original headrest slots in the frame and make a rear rack mounting plate strait out the rear for the Givi case. It would sit behind my current water bottles behind my head so I don't know yet if the weight would be too reward but at $30 it's worth a shot to try. I'm not looking for race storage as much as randonner style storage for commuting to work with extra set of work clothes and maybe my HOODOO voyager event.

https://tourandride.com/cases-and-a...fixed-series/cy14n-14-liter-fixed-case-detail
cy25n_2.jpg

SamP

Guru
That has a rather low maximum load spec, only 6.6 lb. Either that's wrong, really conservative, or the case is really flimsy. I've put way more than 6.6 lbs in my Topeak trunk bag, which has a 16.6 liter capacity, and maximum load of "limited to rack max load rating", the rack's rated to 30 kg.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I wouldn't pay much attention to the weight limit since my Moto Box has a 8lb limit and I always have triple that in there.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Yeah - now you need to get a 2nd job or sell a nice set of wheels just to do it!
Of Course RAAM fees make these look like pocket change!

HooDoo entry fees.PNG

PeteClark

I'm toying with a design for a tailbox to fit the back of my new Thor seat. Fits behind my shoulders. 15 degree taper to a Kamm back. Could cut openings in the back for lights or camera. Room for a 2-liter Platypus hydration bladder lying longitudinally (original concept was smaller with the bladder lying across the width, but I wanted to minimize lateral liquid slosh in the event of a quick turn). About 18 liter total volume.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Nothing but a cardboard and duck tape mock-up so far. I need to develop some carbon fiber crafting skills, or settle for bending and joining sheets of plastic (no compound curves here).

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'm toying with a design for a tailbox to fit the back of my new Thor seat. Fits behind my shoulders. 15 degree taper to a Kamm back. Could cut openings in the back for lights or camera. Room for a 2-liter Platypus hydration bladder lying longitudinally (original concept was smaller with the bladder lying across the width, but I wanted to minimize lateral liquid slosh in the event of a quick turn). About 18 liter total volume.
View attachment 4839 View attachment 4840 View attachment 4841
Nothing but a cardboard and duck tape mock-up so far. I need to develop some carbon fiber crafting skills, or settle for bending and joining sheets of plastic (no compound curves here).
Any one else thinking millennium falcon from these pics?

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I can see that...add a couple of weapons pods, cockpit greenhouse on left...

I like that it is built out of flat stock. Makes it really easy to fab. I'd do it out of .032 aluminum.