Recumbent Cycle Con 2016

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg More People Today

Hit the ground running 30 minutes before the show started with a line of test riders waiting and never slacked off all day. Bob and I reckon we did 50-60 test rides requiring 5-20 min sessions. Both puppered tuckeys tonight. But I couldn't pass up the chance to ride with other CRUZZIES, so I strapped on my lid and led out the group on an evening ride through historic Glendale. Finished the night with serious bike face all around.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

shep

Just got home from RCC, thanks to the whole Cruzbike team for making my first experience with a Cruzbike a good one. It was actually not as hard as I thought it would be. I had excellent instruction.

The T50 definitely looks promising for th DIY people that want to build a trainer, commuter, entry level bike or whatever can be dreamed up. I will probably have my 1st Cruzbike before it is available, but can see getting a T50 at some point.

Just got home from RCC, thanks to the whole Cruzbike team for making my first experience with a Cruzbike a good one. It was actually not as hard as I thought it would be. I had excellent instruction.

The T50 definitely looks promising for th DIY people that want to build a trainer, commuter, entry level bike or whatever can be dreamed up. I will probably have my 1st Cruzbike before it is available, but can see getting a T50 at some point.
Great to meet you today Shep. Glad you had fun and the bikes lived up to your hopes. Here's a photo for your scrapbook. image.jpeg

Rampa

Guru
I actually remember when Performer designed a Cruzbike clone that was really similar to the T50. But it was only ever showed up at one of the bike shows. I cannot remember which one.

It looks like the seat mount on the T50 allows for a more rearward position. That, coupled with being laid back, and the steering mod, would allow the cranks to be tucked up much higher and closer in. Always thinking about my short inseam and preferred weight distribution on the bike.

I suppose we'll know soon enough, but will it be available as a frame kit, or just a complete bike?

DavidJL

Not hard at all to ride the QX no handed, with or without cleats, so long as I'm not trying to put out a lot of power. I am itching to know more about this T50.

LMT

Looks like the convention was a lot of fun, the behind the seat frame bag looks good. I'll be keeping an eye out for any updates.

I actually remember when Performer designed a Cruzbike clone that was really similar to the T50. But it was only ever showed up at one of the bike shows. I cannot remember which one.

It looks like the seat mount on the T50 allows for a more rearward position. That, coupled with being laid back, and the steering mod, would allow the cranks to be tucked up much higher and closer in. Always thinking about my short inseam and preferred weight distribution on the bike.

I suppose we'll know soon enough, but will it be available as a frame kit, or just a complete bike?
My understanding is that it will be a frame kit.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
My understanding is that it will be a frame kit.

ETA is unknown to me; but those photos are of a "sample" which in manufacturing comes after "prototypes" and is used to make final tweaks before any production can start. Since it just arrived Maria was awesome enough to let the public see what the dealers got to see

At this time here are your key facts:
(1) it's going to be priced as the "entry level" model
(2) It's likely to fill a void in the markets' pricing in general
(3) it will fit correctly in it's place in the cruzbike long term spectrum of models (Which we have all watched be optimized and streamlined to reduce overlap and confusion)
(4) it's going to be easy to learn and ride.
(5) no bike ever gets released until it's ready.

Beyond that it's putting the bike trailer ahead of the bike.....

I am itching to know more about this T50.

but it is cool; and it's real; that itch is going to get distracting;

Last edited:
Looks like the convention was a lot of fun, the behind the seat frame bag looks good. I'll be keeping an eye out for any updates.
Got home last night from the final day and realized that I got so wrapped up in the flow of the day that I forgot to take any additional pictures.

It was an amazing three days. Got to meet so many people and talk about these wonderful bikes. The demo tent ran basically non-stop for the entire weekend and I lost count of all the serious cases of bike face we saw as people realized just how much fun the Cruzbikes are to ride.

Had a great time yesterday with a road bike rider who tagged along with his bent rider wife but let me talk him into a test ride. His grin was infectious.

Another highlight was watching the Rose Hulman Recumbent cycling team play with the bikes.

The weekend was incredible from a teacher's perspective. Bob's program adapted beautifully and by early Saturday we had the demo tent moving like clockwork. I will say that the weekend reinforced how running the drills matters. Most people who followed our lead were up and riding all over the place in 15-20 minutes. By contrast, stubborn led to 30 or more minutes of wobbling across the lot in frustration.

Last edited:

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Great!!
So what about the bolt-on tilting trike? Still happening? Anyone?
We had prototype #3 at the show and briefly attached it to my V20 to give some Cruzbike folks a feel for riding it. We did not display it publicly at our booth, but those that came out to the grassy knoll where our tent was set up got to examine it, including a bunch of young engineering students who may use it for a project. It has a very unique design, with a 70 cm wheel track width and 30 cm trailing tilt arms that allow over 45 degrees of tilt. I've been riding it around my neighborhood in NC and it feels smooth. Making good progress on the lock-out feature. We will do an email update with a video of the Ttrike in action in a few weeks. This design has potential to accomplish all the goals we wanted, but needs a lot of refining before it's ready for production. Still a year out at the earliest.