Riding other recumbents and a Cruzbike?

leew

I have been considering a Cruzbike for a while now, mainly as a bike for hilly rides (I already have what I consider one of the fastest production bike for flat rides, and won't want to stop using it anytime soon, fast as in 37 mph held for 1 hour on a loop, however it's 55lbs mass makes itself known as soon as I hit any-kind of hill) . I am a bit concerned however because I have read that riding other recumbents can affect one's handling of the Cruzbike. I was wondering if many people here ride multiple recumbent bikes regularly and if they notice any detriment of their cruzbike riding skills as a result?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The advice you are referring to is not a life time bang; it's just that until your brain rewires itself it can actually be dangerous to switch back and forth during the learning. We have several recently established new riders that can speak to the huge difference between before and after adaptation. Once you've adapted you can easy move back and forth and you'll know when that is.

1happyreader

zen/child method
. I am a bit concerned however because I have read that riding other recumbents can affect one's handling of the Cruzbike. I was wondering if many people here ride multiple recumbent bikes regularly and if they notice any detriment of their cruzbike riding skills as a result?
IMHO If you are already riding reclined and on two wheels you will have no problems with balance and only need to adapt to a different steering and pedaling system.
Pity the folks who come straight from the DF world and are suddenly turned upside down , like a turtle on its back, they have to relearn balance instincts as well.

NeaL

Guru
I've been wanting to share this video because this keeps coming to mind for me while I've been learning how to ride a Cruzbike.
Previously I had only taken a very short ride, each, on a long-wheel-base recumbent and a short-wheel-base recumbent. I didn't even get them out of the parking lot of the local bike store where they were being sold. Aside from the unfamiliar balancing, I knew there was something not-quite-right about them. It wasn't until I saw an ad on Craigslist for a Cruzbike, immediately realized that I was looking at something completely different, and researched the design before I understood what I had sensed was amiss about the other recumbents; a feeling of disconnect with the ground.

So I finally feel this is an appropriate place where to share this video. From it's content you'll probably also partly understand why I want to get Cruzbikes for my kids, as well. You're about to get Smarter Every Day.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

LMT

Someone has joined the forum who may rival @ratz when it's to the art of wielding the mallet...and some correx.

When I became adept at riding my V20 it was no problem reverting back to riding a RWD bent. I had a Metabike which I sold, on the final ride before sale it was a bit sketchy for the first 20-30 yards because you are expecting the front end to move, after this it was fine.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I have been considering a Cruzbike for a while now, mainly as a bike for hilly rides (I already have what I consider one of the fastest production bike for flat rides, and won't want to stop using it anytime soon, fast as in 37 mph held for 1 hour on a loop, however it's 55lbs mass makes itself known as soon as I hit any-kind of hill) . I am a bit concerned however because I have read that riding other recumbents can affect one's handling of the Cruzbike. I was wondering if many people here ride multiple recumbent bikes regularly and if they notice any detriment of their cruzbike riding skills as a result?
Lee - wow 37 mph for an hour! That is quite impressive, especially on 55lb bike! So what is this bike that you "consider one of the fastest production bikes for flat rides."? Do you have you Strava ride to share? I would love to see it and the route your rode, your power, HR, etc. :)

CruzLike

Guru
@NeaL., that is an interesting video.

The closest experience I have had, to his in the video, is snow skiing. I had snow ski'd 3 times in 3 years. Not a good skier but confident. I put that skill on the shelf for 10 years. I put the skis on and went out the the snow, and the skill wasn't there. "What do I do"? I was back to the bunny slope. I relearned the skill much quicker than before. In a hour or more I was back to my former glory, average.