S30 WTB

ed72

Zen MBB Master
The various Silvio versions are a bit confusing but I am looking to buy my first Cruzbike to use on hilly and bumpy roads. The S30 with disc brakes and front and rear suspension and 27 degree seat angle would sound like a good all-around compromise performance-wise for my riding conditions and back problems. I am looking to mount wider tires, thus, I understand later versions would be helpful in this regard.

If anyone is interested in selling one like described in the attached article, please let me know. Thank you, Ed

http://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=9687

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Welcome ed72,

I think you will find yourself very happy with whichever model you end up with. If you are focussed on dual suspension know that there are none in the current lineup with dual suspension. The first Silvio 1 and 1.5 were narrow tire suspended, 45 degree seat; Silvio 2 through S30 were upgraded to hydroformed (sexier, lighter, stiffer) frame at 30-28-33 degree seat angles; Note that the very last batch of S30 were the ones that did not have the front suspension and had 33 degree seat angle.

It is generally accepted that a larger volume tire (at appropriate pressure) without active suspension compares favourably:
-comparable shock absorption somewhere in the virtually-the-same, the same, or better cush-to-your-tush than the small amount of suspension,
-significantly stiffer front triangle which means better power transfer from pedal to ground,
-significant weight savings which means among other things better hill climbing.

Any of the Silvio or S30 or S40 that come up on the Marketplace part of the forum would be an excellent place to start. Sellers should be able to provide detailed pictures and specifications of which version, what components, additional equipment, modifications, etc. They are usually updated to indicate if they are sold or feel free to ask if they have been idle for a while.

Oh, I was thinking only of the higher end models because you mentioned S30. The older Sofrider (no longer made) and Q (Quest, QX100) models also had dual suspension, the new QX100 has only rear suspension. The newest QX100 is the current model with suspension - lots of rear suspension and ability to go up to 2" tires at both ends. My neck used to bother me from working at a computer desk all day and an old injury combined with riding my mountain and road bikes, but with the Cruz bike with 1.75" tires I do not get that strain until I have to switch to the mountain bike for winter snow and ice conditions.

Completely biased personal experience: I have ridden a conversion kit for the past several years which is completely non-suspended, very short wheelbase, with 1.75" mountain bike tires. It handles pavement, rail-trail, and reasonable gravel/mud roads well. Washboard gravel roads and very loose gravel I would probably want to switch to my regular mountain bike with front suspension if I was going to do lots of it. The difference is that if you can't see it and avoid it for large hits (couple inches or more) it might startle you or throw off balance. I postulate that this is exaggerated on my particular bike due to the steep steering angle, very short wheelbase (small frame), and extremely stiff non-suspended rear end (see my Avatar at left). I find that Cruzbikes recover balance very well because of the front wheel drive characteristics.

Wishing you all the best in your search. Welcome to the Cruzbike tribe,

Benphyr.

Last edited:

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Thank you, Ben. I am focused on the S30 with front suspension and the passive rear with discs because this would allow 650B wheels and probably 42mm rear and 38mm front tires, which run at 40-50 psi would be relatively plush. I'm going to have shoulder surgery and then 4 discs in my neck removed and replaced with hardware. I have a long road ahead of me and hope to take some of the bumps out of it. Of course I'm going to be on the trainer initially but suspect 12-16 months recovery overall. If my body was not messed up, I'd have gotten an V20 right out of the gate. The 27 degree seat angle of the later suspended S30 is also desirable for comfort and Cda.

RAR

Thank you, Ben. I am focused on the S30 with front suspension and the passive rear with discs because this would allow 650B wheels and probably 42mm rear and 38mm front tires, which run at 40-50 psi would be relatively plush. I'm going to have shoulder surgery and then 4 discs in my neck removed and replaced with hardware. I have a long road ahead of me and hope to take some of the bumps out of it. Of course I'm going to be on the trainer initially but suspect 12-16 months recovery overall. If my body was not messed up, I'd have gotten an V20 right out of the gate. The 27 degree seat angle of the later suspended S30 is also desirable for comfort and Cda.
Ed , I have tried 650B on my S30, 42 fits on the front but the rear is too narrow, even for a 38.

telephd

Guru
Ed, FWIW the link Ben provided is for a S30 with dual suspension. Ive owned both and currently am on the S30v2 with non-suspended front. The seat angle is is about 33 degrees on the v2 vs about 27 degrees on the v1. I don't miss the front suspension at all and think that the power transfer and handling on the v2 is slightly better because the front end is stouter. Good luck with the surgery! Im 9 weeks out on my shoulder repair and have just been cleared to ride outside. My recovery process is incrementally measured and has been slower than I would have liked.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Ed, FWIW the link Ben provided is for a S30 with dual suspension. Ive owned both and currently am on the S30v2 with non-suspended front. The seat angle is is about 33 degrees on the v2 vs about 27 degrees on the v1. I don't miss the front suspension at all and think that the power transfer and handling on the v2 is slightly better because the front end is stouter. Good luck with the surgery! Im 9 weeks out on my shoulder repair and have just been cleared to ride outside. My recovery process is incrementally measured and has been slower than I would have liked.
Thanks for your perspective. I did consider the link. My wife's boss took 1 year for total recovery from shoulder surgery but good prognosis and I will soon probably be having 4 cervical discs removed and artificial ones put into my neck-recovery is not so certain on that one. thanks again, Ed

Suz

Hi Ed, I have a dual suspension S30 with the 27 degree seat angle if you are interested. I’ve been thinking about changing to the S40, but would need to sell the S30 first. Let me know and we can discuss if you would like.

Good luck with your surgery!