S40 Build with Road Triple

Crane Fly

I bought an S40 frame to replace my Silvio 1.0. My plan was to use all the components from the Silvio since I was very happy with its 9 speed triple drive train. Most important to me was to keep the Sugino 24, 36, 46 crank so that I could have a climbing gear below 20 gear inches. I'm a weak climber living in the big mountains of north west Montana and like my granny gear!

I ended up having to make a number of component substitutions to make this work but am very happy with the result!

I started by transferring the Shimano square taper bottom bracket: BB-UN55-68mm, 110mm width.

I then installed my 165mm Sugino crank with its 24, 36, 46 rings and the Microshift front derailleur. I was not able to lower the front derailleur enough to match the 46 tooth big ring. I decided that the only simple solution was to change to a Sugino 50 tooth big ring. 50 teeth is the smallest large ring that will work with the braze on derailleur mount - at least with my derailleur.

In order to maximize my low gear inch climbing gear and have a usable (for me) tallest gear, I changed the cassette to a Shimano CS-HG400 12-36. This gives me a gear inch range of 17.6" to 109.9". I can climb anything around here and spin out at about 30 mph.

In order to handle the 36 tooth cog, I changed my rear derailleur from a Deore to an XT that I had in my parts box.

The rim brakes from the Silvio 1.0 did not have enough reach for the S40 frame. So, I bought a set of Shimano BR-R650 long reach brakes. They work well.

My Silvio handlebar is a 44cm wide Anatomic bar with the last section cut off. This gives me a good hand position for my bar end shifters. In order to transfer the 25.4mm diameter bar to the S40, I needed a set of 25.4 to 31.8mm Problem Solver handlebar shims. I have a 31.8mm Anatomic bar on order so that I can eliminate the shims. This handlebar is very comfortable because it is quite narrow and gives me a vertical grip orientation. Other folks may find it too narrow.

What actually transferred from the Silvio 1.0 were the Tektro brake levers and the Dura Ace 9 speed bar end shifters. So - as usual, I got to spend a lot more money on this project than I had planned. All good entertainment.

The bike is very comfortable and very fast! The 40 degree seat angle is perfect for me. I've got about 300 miles on it and am looking forward to taking it out on its first 200 km brevet in two weeks.

Next winter's project is to build a set of disc brake wheels to run with TRP cable actuated brakes. For now the rim brakes are good, but I like discs for mountain descents in wet weather.

Notes:

The 110mm wide bottom bracket is the narrowest possible bottom bracket for this crank. There is about 0.3mm clearance between the back of the granny gear mounting bolt head and the frame.

I found that the water bottle cages could not be installed flush with the back of the seat and the left bottle interfered with the rear brake cable. I used 1/4" thick nylon spacers and an aluminum adapter plate to move the cages away from the seat and lower them about an inch. I also added a brake noodle to the rear brake cable to help avoid the water bottle. Lowering the bottle cages an inch also made them much easier to pull while riding.

I did not find the stock neck rest very comfortable and ordered the adjustable neck rest. It is fantastic! I would recommend it highly. I apparently can't follow directions because I kept trying to tighten the mounting screws to get the neck rest to stop twisting in its mount. Of course I ended up stripping the screws. I installed an aluminum plate tapped with M5 threads behind the plastic back cover of the neck rest to make a more permanent connection.

The front derailleur cable pulley doesn't seem in exactly the right place. The cable is pulling a little sideways as it comes out of the cable end stop next to the pulley. Perhaps other builders have suggestions for improving this. Let me know.

Great bike! Looking forward to many miles on it.

Thanks!
Crane Fly

Attachments

• IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Nice minimalist build! I wonder how much it weighs as shown. I also like you barend shifters! It would be nice to see a photo of the complete bike from the front in order for me to see how the 440mm wide drop bars look in proportion to the bike.

img_0461-jpg.5478

Crane Fly

Ak-Tux,

I've attached a picture of the bike from the front. The handle bars fit me well and I really like the tight hand and arm position. Very "tucked in". On tight turns there can be a little knee interference but since all my riding is on the open road, that doesn't cause me any problems. Way better than the interference on rear wheel drive recumbents I've owned in the past.

The weight of the bike as shown is 29 pounds. This is "Rando ready" with two bags, tools, pump, tubes, and rear light. No water or food but otherwise ready for a daytime 200 km brevet.

A surprising feature that I find really useful is the neck rest support made from aluminum tubing. It makes a useful handle for moving the bike around. I remove the rear wheel to load the bike in my Hollywood car rack and it's easy to roll the bike around on its front wheel using the "handle" to support the back. Very handy!

Crane Fly

Attachments

• IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 427

benphyr

Guru-me-not
So do you ride without seat cushion or is that just how the picture was taken? Please comment freely on experiences and reasons if you indeed are riding seat-cushionless. (Do you ride other bikes cushionless? etc.)
Cheers,
Ben.

Crane Fly

Ben,

Sorry to create an incorrect impression. I always ride with the cushion. I also always keep it in my car so that it can't fly off the bike in the bike rack going down the road at 70mph. I live on a busy highway with a lot of truck traffic and tourist traffic so I always drive somewhere else to start my ride. I just didn't bother to go get the cushion out of the car when I made these pictures. I should have included it........

Crane Fly

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Ak-Tux,

I've attached a picture of the bike from the front. The handle bars fit me well and I really like the tight hand and arm position. Very "tucked in". On tight turns there can be a little knee interference but since all my riding is on the open road, that doesn't cause me any problems. Way better than the interference on rear wheel drive recumbents I've owned in the past.

The weight of the bike as shown is 29 pounds. This is "Rando ready" with two bags, tools, pump, tubes, and rear light. No water or food but otherwise ready for a daytime 200 km brevet.

A surprising feature that I find really useful is the neck rest support made from aluminum tubing. It makes a useful handle for moving the bike around. I remove the rear wheel to load the bike in my Hollywood car rack and it's easy to roll the bike around on its front wheel using the "handle" to support the back. Very handy!

Crane Fly

Thank you for taking the time to take the photo. 29 pounds with bags and tools is good. So I guess the plain bike is about 12Kg(26 pounds) or less.

Wow, it does look much narrower than the flared ones! It must therefore improve the aerodynamics at a slight lose of leverage.
img_0480-jpg.5482

Crane Fly

Ak-Tux,

26 pounds is probably about right. I'll have to remove the bags at some point just out of curiosity. It's so much lighter than my fully loaded Sofrider that I'm quite happy with the weight.

The bars help me keep my elbows close to my torso. Feels like a full tuck position on an upright bike. I don't notice a problem with lack of leverage but I don't normally pull very hard on the bars except for getting up a short steep climb. Generally I feel like I am steering with my feet rather than with my hands and don't need any leverage at all.

The picture also shows my improvised chain jump stop. It's just an M5 acorn nut bolted to the front light mounting tab.

Crane Fly

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I always ride with the cushion. I also always keep it in my car so that it can't fly off the bike in the bike rack going down the road at 70mph...
Crane Fly

No worries. That makes great sense, I guess I was wishing you had figured out how to improve comfort even more to the point that the cushion was not necessary. Alas, today is not that day.

I bought an S40 frame to replace my Silvio 1.0.

Since you have ridden Silvio 1.0 and now S40, and with very similar component set as well, can you give us a comparison of the two? They seem to be in geometry very similar but in how that is worked out quite different -
welded frame vs. hydroform,
suspension vs. non-suspended,
changes to the front triangle,
did your Silvio 1.0 have a headrest?,
seating angle, cushion,
spacing between handlebar and seat back/seat pan,
narrow tire vs. wider tire, rim brakes vs. disc brakes (though these last two you may not have an opinion on considering you kept the rim brakes and same wheel/tire combination, right?)

Do you have plans for the "left-over" Silvio 1.0 now that you have the S40? Do you think there is potential for a front triangle transplant or a boom only transplant using a Silvio 1.0 boom to replace a Quest or QX100 boom?

Thinking out loud...
Cheers,
Ben.

Crane Fly

Ben,

The Silvio 1.0 and S40 are very similar. The S40 front end feels stiffer to me and the whole system feels less cramped. I felt like I could never get the Silvio 1.0 dialed in to fit as well as the S40. Perhaps the Silvio seat angle is a little more vertical? It felt like I had less space between the seat and handlebars on the Silvio. I did not use a neck rest on the Silvio but definitely appreciate it on the S40.

I found the front suspension on the Silvio 1.0 annoying. I had to add air pressure frequently and it seemed like a needless complication. The rear suspension had limited travel. I think the ability to run larger tires on the S40 more than makes up for the lack of suspension.

My plans for the "left over" Silvio 1.0 frame are to sell it. Interesting idea to transplant the front end to something else. But - I really like my Sofrider as is and the S40 is going to be my faster bike for longer distances.

Crane Fly

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
View attachment 5565
First big outing for the S40! 200km brevet in Yellowstone National Park with the Montana Randonneurs. High point of the ride.
Looking good! Is the chainstay length standard or the longer one? The BB height looks nice and high!

Are those 36 spoke wheels with 28mm or 32mm tires? How did it climb?

Last edited:

Crane Fly

Looking good! Is the chainstay length standard or the longer one? The BB height looks nice and high!

Are those 36 spoke wheels with 28mm or 32mm tires? How did it climb?

Ak-Tux,

The wheels are 32 spoke with Compass Chinook Pass 700C X 28 tires. I weigh about 150 pounds and find that 32 spoke holds up well for me. These wheels have about 7,000 miles on them on various bikes. The tires are very comfortable on most road surfaces. I'll probably try 32mm when these wear out.

The bottom bracket is nice and high. I was surprised at how far in I adjusted the boom length to fit. I'm 6' tall and with 165mm cranks the boom only has about 2" of adjustment left for a shorter legged person. The boom looks like it would be adjustable for somebody with legs at least 6" longer than mine. At any rate, I was pleased with the high bottom bracket position.

Thanks!
Crane Fly

Crane Fly

Here is an interesting alternative to a traditional triple, Efneo's GTRO Gearbox http://efneo.com/gearbox/#technicaldetails. It is an internally geared three-speed that is equivalent to a 28t, 40t, 50t chainring set-up. There is also a review on BentRider Online.

3WHELZ,

That is an interesting alternative. Since I was trying to use existing components from my Silvio 1.0 I didn't consider other possibilities. Probably not in my bike budget for this year but I would be interested in test riding a recumbent with an Efneo hub.

Crane Fly

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
32's sound great. I recently put 35's on an older road bike and can't believe how great they ride while not giving up very much speed. Hardly even worry about potholes or gravel on the road. I think someone else put them on a vendetta with 650b wheels. I may eventually go that route.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
32's sound great. I recently put 35's on an older road bike and can't believe how great they ride while not giving up very much speed. Hardly even worry about potholes or gravel on the road. I think someone else put them on a vendetta with 650b wheels. I may eventually go that route.

I’ve been noodling a 650b vendetta for a bit of aero advantage. Tire selection is bummer. That is the main obstacle.