S40 for randonneuring

Uphill

I ride brevets / randonneuring events, so the 200km, 300km, 400km, 600km events. I also ride the longer events such as London Edinburgh London (1400km) in 13 and Paris Brest Paris (1200km) in 15, and similar events other years.

After suffering nerve damage in the hands once too often on these long brevets I went recumbent last year. I bought a low racer and am loving it. I completed a 200,300,400,600 Super Randoneur series on it in its first year. I rode my first 200km event on it, three weeks after buying it. However it is not the lightest of recumbents and uphill brings the average speeds down. I get a good if slow workout uphill. So I am working out what the next recumbent should be. A good climber, not too compromised on the flat, and also practical for day to day cycling and touring configurations as well as brevets. Lift those average speeds. The S40 seems to fit the bill.

Anyone here using a S40 for brevets / randonneuring as well as day to day usage? 200km is roughly 120 miles, 300km 186 miles, 400km 252 miles, 600km 376 miles. It is not racing so generally the distance covered is between 300-450km every 24 hours on the longer brevets.

Be nice to hear of riders using them setup for brevets and their experiences.

Rod Butler

Hey there Uphill, I live in London and should have my S40 build complete in a week or so, after long delays. I live the idea of brevets/randonneuring events but have only ever done long distance touring (panniers/camping etc) previously. I'd really like to talk about this with you and will have my bike ready soon
I bought the frame set.
Landed in UK that cost another 680 pounds in tax (I could have flown to the US, picked it up and bought it back as luggage for less, had I known!)
You might like to factor that in.

Uphill

Hi Rod,

Ouch duty on cost and shipping and VAT on top of that.

It would be great to see a built up S40 in the flesh and I can certainly talk about the brevet side of things. I am not too far away from London on the train. Perhaps get your S40 built up and meet up sometime after that. Sure we will be able to find a date that suits both of us, though that can sometimes be trickier than you'd imagine. :)

LMT

Are you Phil on over YACF? If so I have a S40 as well as a V20, my next Audax will be the South of Bucks WW. I'll bring along the S40 then and you can have a gander.

LMT

And to answer your question the bike can be set up for a Brevet - even multi day events (one of the reasons I bought it along with wanting to commute as it gives more options then a v20). The various bags that you can buy can fit the bike, Scarab bag, Moose bag etc, I done PBP in 2015 with all my kit in the Scarab bag without any problems on my V20.

But the great thing about the S40 is you can fit a rack, and have your kit in panniers or in a top bag. It's great because the longer shoe string events in the UK that are next year are now more feasible in terms of carrying kit.

Uphill

Yes I am Phil on YACF.

I am returning from holiday that day otherwise I would have entered the South Bucks Winter Wander 200. Not an event I have done before. Would have been nice to see your S40 setup for audax. I will almost certainly be riding the Santa Special 200 the weekend after, so 17th December.

Rod Butler

Hi Rod,

Ouch duty on cost and shipping and VAT on top of that.

It would be great to see a built up S40 in the flesh and I can certainly talk about the brevet side of things. I am not too far away from London on the train. Perhaps get your S40 built up and meet up sometime after that. Sure we will be able to find a date that suits both of us, though that can sometimes be trickier than you'd imagine. :)

Uphill = Phil, ...I get it! ...a bit slow this morning (I'm on the other side of the planet at the moment)
I've been checking out the brevets/randonneuring generally and in the UK. Are you part of Audux UK?
That seems like the group that does the business. Lots of rides and pretty social by the looks.
I'm free for a couple of weeks when I return. Can I contact you. I'm in Wembley 07465688299.

Uphill

U Phil? - Didn't think it was too subtle :)

Yep Audax UK for UK brevets. Audax Club Hackney probably largest audax club in London. Plenty enough rides in reach, year round. We don't stop for winter!

Last edited:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Hi Phill.
I have got red Vendetta V20. I am riding brevets in Czech Republic and I was on this year LEL. I had to change some parts on my V to be able to ride so long on bad czech roads. I have changed seat to Thor carbon one and make seat angle more upright (it is about 24 degrees now) so I can ride without headrest. More upright seat allowed me to carry Radical Design aero bag what mainly solved my storage problem on Vendetta. But still I would like to be able to carry more stuff but I don't want to use any kind of carrier on the bike. I am using 28 mm tubeless tires pumped to low preasure for aditional comfort. I had to modify my front Crud road racer MK2 mudguard with hot air gun to fit into small clearance between tire, fork and frame. I use 13-40 teeth cassete to be able to climb hils while I am tired. I would like to use even biger tires for comfort and some sturdyer and wider front mudguard for better water protection. My setup is not perfect but it is ok. I don't have time/money/space for building and owning other brevet bike.
S40 is better brevet bike than V20 from my point of view stock. You can use bigger tires with mudguards. You have better storage options and better view. Perfect brevet bike for me would be previous iteration of Silvio - S30 with some modifications. It was more aero than S40. Without front suspension for speed and with rear suspension for comfort. But with bigger tire clearance of new S40. So meybe event rear suspension would not be necessary. And with Thor seat mounted on thin layer of dumping rubber. It would be nice to have actual Silvio but with lower seat angle.

EDIT: Added photo of my bike on LEL.

Attachments

• 2017-08-03 05.26.48.jpg
    2017-08-03 05.26.48.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Uphill

Yes I like the idea of S40 for a single recumbent solution including brevets. A spare set of 26" wheels for easy off road etc.

Uphill

Hey there Uphill, I live in London and should have my S40 build complete in a week or so, after long delays. I live the idea of brevets/randonneuring events but have only ever done long distance touring (panniers/camping etc) previously. I'd really like to talk about this with you and will have my bike ready soon
I bought the frame set.
Landed in UK that cost another 680 pounds in tax (I could have flown to the US, picked it up and bought it back as luggage for less, had I known!)
You might like to factor that in.

Hi Rod,

Just checking import duties.

It should be 4.7% duty and then 20% VAT payable on the frameset cost and shipping. Can you confirm the cost in dollars including shipping? I cannot get to £680 unless the cost of the frame including shipping is £3244 which seems excessive compared to the quoted frame cost in dollars and the exchange rate used by UK customs and excise.

Phil

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Yes I like the idea of S40 for a single recumbent solution including brevets. A spare set of 26" wheels for easy off road etc.
I am also playing with idea to change wheels of my V to smaller ones and use bigger tires. But this would mean that I have to switch to disk brakes what would be nice but I have Powertap hub power meter. So It would mean that I need to get some other type of PM. I can see Power2Max NG Eco as solution but it would mean that I have to change chainstay part to new one what is not mounted on BB external bearing but on boom itself. Other challenge would be shortening of cranks used with P2M. I use 150mm Apex crankset.

I am also playing with idea to change wheels of my V to smaller ones and use bigger tires. But this would mean that I have to switch to disk brakes what would be nice but I have Powertap hub power meter. So It would mean that I need to get some other type of PM. I can see Power2Max NG Eco as solution but it would mean that I have to change chainstay part to new one what is not mounted on BB external bearing but on boom itself. Other challenge would be shortening of cranks used with P2M. I use 150mm Apex crankset.
I’m using the PowerTap G3 Rear Disk Hub that my LBS laced to my 650b wheels. 38 mm tires easily fit the V20.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I’m using the PowerTap G3 Rear Disk Hub that my LBS laced to my 650b wheels. 38 mm tires easily fit the V20.
How many spokes do you use?
I use 28 spokes in my front wheel and I think that it is good choice for my usage. I am light and I use low pressure in my tires and still I get my front wheel a little bit out of true (in czech we call it eight). I don't like that the Powertap uses straight spokes and with 28 spokes you are locked to their own disk rotor. But I will consider this idea as possible option :)

How many spokes do you use?
I use 28 spokes in my front wheel and I think that it is good choice for my usage. I am light and I use low pressure in my tires and still I get my front wheel a little bit out of true (in czech we call it eight). I don't like that the Powertap uses straight spokes and with 28 spokes you are locked to their own disk rotor. But I will consider this idea as possible option :)
The SRAM Rail uses 24 spokes, but the PowerTap G3 comes in either 24 or 28 if you want to use another rim. Their PowerTap Disk Hub is available with 32 spokes. All use their included proprietary 160mm rotor which works well for me.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
The SRAM Rail uses 24 spokes, but the PowerTap G3 comes in either 24 or 28 if you want to use another rim. Their PowerTap Disk Hub is available with 32 spokes. All use their included proprietary 160mm rotor which works well for me.
Do I understand it correctly that even with 24 spokes what mean 6 holes for mounting rotor you have to use their proprierary rotor? Does it work well in Vendetta?

Do I understand it correctly that even with 24 spokes what mean 6 holes for mounting rotor you have to use their proprierary rotor? Does it work well in Vendetta?
Powertap's rotor is required to allow access to the battery/brain. It will have holes for whichever hub you purchase. I have all the stopping power I need.

Attachments

• HU7093.jpg
    HU7093.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Rotor.jpg
    Rotor.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 27

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I run the 32h powertap disc hub (which uses j-bend spokes).

The straight-spoke disc hub version doesn't (last time I looked) allow as much flexibility in lacing or spoke count.