S40 questions

Layne

first are they shipping frameset right now ? The website says backordered?

Also and i know this is a non ending subject but does anyone have resource to see how much seat angle change makes on speed ?
Im really interested in speed both up hills and on the flat but i guess i caint have as much neck pressure as a more laid back bike gives ..
Ive had a vendetta for a while and tried both the stock system and a hard shell seat and just never got comfortable ... any input would be great !

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
first are they shipping frameset right now ? The website says backordered? !

Should be unless a lot of people bought them. The Complete builds where to ship end of August; the Framekits started in June and the store might not be updated @Lucia would know.

joy

I have a Vendetta and just finished building an S40. I have only ridden it a short distance on the road, and that was a flat, paved rail trail. It is slower than the V, but I also put 35 mm gravel tires on it and a rack and bag. On a gravel road, it went up hill pretty well. I could feel the ability to push off of the seat, as well as pull on the bars. If you feel the Vendetta is too laid back, this could be a really nice bike for you. It is going to be my social, gravel bike and so far, I really like it.

Layne

I have a Vendetta and just finished building an S40. I have only ridden it a short distance on the road, and that was a flat, paved rail trail. It is slower than the V, but I also put 35 mm gravel tires on it and a rack and bag. On a gravel road, it went up hill pretty well. I could feel the ability to push off of the seat, as well as pull on the bars. If you feel the Vendetta is too laid back, this could be a really nice bike for you. It is going to be my social, gravel bike and so far, I really like it.

Yea i guess one thing I am wondering about is if i set one up as a fast bike , narrower bars, deep section wheels and i have duraace di2 laying here needing a home:) .. will I be hugely disappointed when i ride with my group on their tt bikes ? Just wish i could ride one for a few miles without buying lol ...

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Yea i guess one thing I am wondering about is if i set one up as a fast bike , narrower bars, deep section wheels and i have duraace di2 laying here needing a home:) .. will I be hugely disappointed when i ride with my group on their tt bikes ? Just wish i could ride one for a few miles without buying lol ...
The bike is too new, we just don't have enough info yet to tell. However, if you could hang with the TT guys previously, I can't imagine you'll be any slower...once you are assimilated to the position and needs of the bike. We had similar reports from the Silvio (that it was fast and comfy, etc.).
The S40 is going to be similar-to-possibly-better in aero to a full-kit TT bike. It will weigh more (all equipment being equal). Biggest benefit will be the comfort. You'll still be riding fast when they will be stopping to apply their DF/TT embrocations. You'll also be very happy to sit on a barstool after the ride...when they will prefer to stand. :eek:

Layne

The bike is too new, we just don't have enough info yet to tell. However, if you could hang with the TT guys previously, I can't imagine you'll be any slower...once you are assimilated to the position and needs of the bike. We had similar reports from the Silvio (that it was fast and comfy, etc.).
The S40 is going to be similar-to-possibly-better in aero to a full-kit TT bike. It will weigh more (all equipment being equal). Biggest benefit will be the comfort. You'll still be riding fast when they will be stopping to apply their DF/TT embrocations. You'll also be very happy to sit on a barstool after the ride...when they will prefer to stand. :eek:

Thanks for the reply .. i guess ill just have to buy one and find out :)

I have owned a catrike 700, metaphysic 700,bachetta corsa, cruzbike silvio s30, vendetta v20 , scott plasma 20 tt df, 2 trek madones, specialized venge, and now i have a 2017 roubaix... hows that for a list of bikes ?:) on the bents i have just never found one that i was truly comfortable on except maybe the silvio i liked it a lot but the suspension was to heavy and finicky for me. What i really should have done was got one of the silvios without the front suspension ! My main problem has been neck support issues, i get a headache from the pressure my neck takes on the lower angles, i have bought hard shell seats i have bought neck rests and made my own ... and i guess if im going to ride a recumbent ill have to have one that i dont need to have a head rest ..

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
hows that for a list of bikes ?:)
Gosh... you are catching up with Larry. I guess you don't call it a quiver of bikes? There aught to be a collective name for a set of bikes with such quality.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for the reply .. i guess ill just have to buy one and find out :)

I have owned a catrike 700, metaphysic 700,bachetta corsa, cruzbike silvio s30, vendetta v20 , scott plasma 20 tt df, 2 trek madones, specialized venge, and now i have a 2017 roubaix... hows that for a list of bikes ?:)
Like me, you are "bike poor". :confused:

I really want an S40...but Miz Diane would likely swat me with a fryin' pan if I ordered one without down-sizing the herd first. I think my 'optimum' stable would be V20 + S40.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I don't own a either a vendetta or a Silvio but in my opinion, more aero does not always translate to more speed if the aero bicycle puts the rider in a posture that restricts his ability to generate optimal power.
Four things affect the speed of the bicycle:
  1. Aerodynamics
  2. Wheel Rolling resistance
  3. Total mass of bicycle and rider against the gradient (or acceleration )
  4. The power output of the rider
The last is dependent on the posture (hip angle, seat angle adaptation, e.tc. ).

Whatever is optimal is what one should aim for.

Last edited:

telephd

Guru
My main problem has been neck support issues, i get a headache from the pressure my neck takes on the lower angles, i have bought hard shell seats i have bought neck rests and made my own ... and i guess if im going to ride a recumbent ill have to have one that i dont need to have a head rest ..

Layne, Ive owned several Silvios, actually all except the S1.5, and I found the fully suspended S30 @ 27 degree recline a considerably different ride from the new S30 (S30.1?)without front suspension @ 33 degree recline. I frequently ride the new S30.1 with my head off of the rest for long periods of time and when my head is on the rest it is not resting heavily. I know there are some that will say that it is a neck rest and not a head rest but I never got a good fit as a neck rest. On my original S30 it took a long time to get fit dialed in and I was using a head rest application not a neck rest application. On the S30 I was not able to ride with my head off of the rest for a very long period of time without fatigue and when my head was resting it was resting heavy. As a bonus, I have found much less road vibration transmitted via the headrest on the S30.1 too.

hoyden

I know there are some that will say that it is a neck rest and not a head rest but I never got a good fit as a neck rest.
I had to make my own neck rest for my S30 out of some rubber tubing, clamps, and a piece of swimming pool noodle. I could never rest my head on the stock head rest due to a curvature in my spine. When I tried to use the stock head rest I was too laid back and I would end up staring at the sky. My neck rest provides good support, great line of sight, and does not transmit much vibration. The pool noodle doesn't absorb sweat and never needs washing.

joy

My neck rest on the V20 and S40 have both been cut down 2". Once I did that (thanks to Maria), I was able to just add some padding and a sock cover and they fit my neck nicely. Also, I took a short, 6 mile ride on the S40 (husband bought a used Metabike and he wanted a short shake down ride). The route has about 200' of climbing, nothing extreme, just a few hills. It does climb, at least these, better than my Vendetta. I noticed that I wasn't really pulling a lot and I seemed to get up without as much effort. Slower going down, though .

Layne

Layne, Ive owned several Silvios, actually all except the S1.5, and I found the fully suspended S30 @ 27 degree recline a considerably different ride from the new S30 (S30.1?)without front suspension @ 33 degree recline. I frequently ride the new S30.1 with my head off of the rest for long periods of time and when my head is on the rest it is not resting heavily. I know there are some that will say that it is a neck rest and not a head rest but I never got a good fit as a neck rest. On my original S30 it took a long time to get fit dialed in and I was using a head rest application not a neck rest application. On the S30 I was not able to ride with my head off of the rest for a very long period of time without fatigue and when my head was resting it was resting heavy. As a bonus, I have found much less road vibration transmitted via the headrest on the S30.1 too.

this is my experience exactly, i just cant have much more weight on my head/neck than you would in say a car with the seat reclined slightly .. i even get some tension in my neck on a recliner in the sitting room when i lay it back ! its crazy and i have no injury and am 41 years old ! also i have no neck issue on a diamond frame like some say they deal with, i know this is basically the opposite of the recumbent position ... and the road vibration is a huge factor to me cause all my daily rides are chip and seal !

i guess i believe i need the s40 :) but the real question is will it be to tractor like :) with the high angle and will recum butt be a deal breaker ....

Layne

My neck rest on the V20 and S40 have both been cut down 2". Once I did that (thanks to Maria), I was able to just add some padding and a sock cover and they fit my neck nicely. Also, I took a short, 6 mile ride on the S40 (husband bought a used Metabike and he wanted a short shake down ride). The route has about 200' of climbing, nothing extreme, just a few hills. It does climb, at least these, better than my Vendetta. I noticed that I wasn't really pulling a lot and I seemed to get up without as much effort. Slower going down, though .

did you notice a lot of difference in the way it felt from the vendetta i.e. butt pressure from the higher angle, hip angle to pedals ?

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
@Layne
You can recline the S40 somewhat by having a 700c wheel in front and a 26" (i.e. smaller) wheel in the rear so long as you use disc brakes.
This isn't much more annoying than most recumbent's different front/rear wheelsizes anyway...

dtseng

How about a compromise in seat angle, say 36 degree, would that be a sweet spot? It's not healthy to place the head heavily on the rest and subject the gray matter to constant vibration.
Like many recumbent bikes/trikes, the seat angle should be made adjustable. Forget about that rigid hydro formed behemoth aluminum tube.

Last edited: