S40- Wow!

NeaL

Guru
Having all this experience with Cruzbikes: do you think the S40 is the right bike for me if I like touring in the mountains? (I live in the Alps). Is it better than the QX100 ?

Only one person knows which bike is the right bike for you. ;-)
I would say that you can't go wrong with either one. I want something with lots of cargo capacity options for commuting to work, running errands, and going on road/trail tours someday. I have a weight loss goal and when I reach it, I'm planning on rewarding myself with a new S40, but that's me.

Only one person knows which bike is the right bike for you. ;-)
I would say that you can't go wrong with either one. I want something with lots of cargo capacity options for commuting to work, running errands, and going on road/trail tours someday. I have a weight loss goal and when I reach it, I'm planning on rewarding myself with a new S40, but that's me.
It's possible to load up a V2o for touring using things like Radical designs bags, but that is not its primary strength. By contrast the S40 has mounting points for both a rear rack and belly rack enabling it to carry traditional panniers and something like TerraTrikes belly bags.

If you want your bike to routinely carry things with multiple options for how you do it, then I would definitely recommend the S40 over the V20. (Note: commuting and hauling are also strengths of the QX100 and T50 models.)

For me the preference came down to the center of gravity that felt right. I enjoy riding each of the models. But when I climb onto the V20, the heavens part, angels sing and my soul does backflips. I saw one rider in Philadelphia have a similar experience on the S40.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Thanks, this is very useful.
Having all this experience with Cruze bikes: do you think the S40 is the right bike for me if I like touring in the mountains? (I live in the Alps). Is it better than the QX100 ?
Margo, The 45 deg seated Silvio V1.0 with 32 mm travel, air front suspension, and softened polyurethane rear suspension 20(was 12 mm) mm travel, and 100 mm chain stay extension, so the BB was 160 mm higher than the seat lowest point, and 28 mm tyres, was very comfortable, and handled large cattle crossings and very potholed roads on a 3,500 km 28,000 m climb bike trip in the Rockies of Canada and USA in 2013.
In 2011 I rode from Canada to Mexico, 2,800 km, down the West coast on a Quest V1.0 with 45 deg seat back , 20 mm travel steel spring front suspension, and a steel spring 80 mm rear suspension, and the BB 30 mm LOWER than the lowest part of the seat, and 1.3" 35 mm tyres.

The Silvio V1.0 was hands down better to ride, due to the air front suspension that was progressive, AND the higher BB, and the lower rolling resistance of 700C wheels, AND much stronger front power triangle!
Both bikes had 40 mm thick ACS100 (Ventisit) seat pads for air flow and slight shock absorbing

I would definately go with the S40 fitted with 38 mm slicks, with a chain stay length, that has the BB ABOVE the seat base, over the QX100, for touring and hill climbing!

The ONLY disadvantage of the S40 is due to its solid rear end, it cannot fit into a 26"*26"*10" USA approved box, so you do not get charged $220 per leg by a USA airline. The rear suspended Silvio can fit if FULLY disassembled, into 26"*26"*10" box as Tilt Maniac, and Team Muse did.
A QX100 with 26" (559) wheels can also fit!

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Has anyone ever thought about using a Pinion gearbox? It would be relatively simple to implement into the boom of a Cruze bike. Much simpler than on a normal bike.
Here is the development = distance per revolution in meters.

View attachment 5691
The Pinion P18 would give you three extra gears over a 53/39/25 with 11-34 rear 655% change, 10% to 13% gear steps in the 20 to 30 kph range, over a Pinion 637% change, 13.6% gear change for ALL gears.
The disadvantage is the 2.7 kg weight of the gearbox, + 0.3 kg for the support, + 0.435Kg for the two cranks + 0.188 for front 34T chainwheel= 3.623 kg compared to a Triple Ultegra at 0.922 kg, or 2.7 Kg extra out in front of the drive wheel, so front flop when parking the bike is a LOT more + 2.7 kg heavier bike!

Last edited:

Margo

Here is another option for consideration -- the Efneo GTRO Gearbox

I found another alternative: the Schlumpf Mountain Drive. It is a two gear version of the EFNEO with wider spread (2.5). For example you get the equivalent of 20/50 chainrings instead of 28/40/50 with EFNEO.

Here are the distance per turn (meter/turn) of the gears
  • in the current QX100: 34/48
  • with the EFNEO: 28/40/50
  • with Schlumpf Mountain Drive: 20/50

Attachments

• QX100-34-48.png
    QX100-34-48.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 17
  • EFNEO-28-40-50.png
    EFNEO-28-40-50.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 17
  • MountainDrive-20-50.png
    MountainDrive-20-50.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 19

Bentas

Margo, The 45 deg seated Silvio V1.0 with 32 mm travel, air front suspension, and softened polyurethane rear suspension 20(was 12 mm) mm travel, and 100 mm chain stay extension, so the BB was 160 mm higher than the seat lowest point, and 28 mm tyres, was very comfortable, and handled large cattle crossings and very potholed roads on a 3,500 km 28,000 m climb bike trip in the Rockies of Canada and USA in 2013.
In 2011 I rode from Canada to Mexico, 2,800 km, down the West coast on a Quest V1.0 with 45 deg seat back , 20 mm travel steel spring front suspension, and a steel spring 80 mm rear suspension, and the BB 30 mm LOWER than the lowest part of the seat, and 1.3" 35 mm tyres.

The Silvio V1.0 was hands down better to ride, due to the air front suspension that was progressive, AND the higher BB, and the lower rolling resistance of 700C wheels, AND much stronger front power triangle!
Both bikes had 40 mm thick ACS100 (Ventisit) seat pads for air flow and slight shock absorbing

I would definately go with the S40 fitted with 38 mm slicks, with a chain stay length, that has the BB ABOVE the seat base, over the QX100, for touring and hill climbing!

The ONLY disadvantage of the S40 is due to its solid rear end, it cannot fit into a 26"*26"*10" USA approved box, so you do not get charged $220 per leg by a USA airline. The rear suspended Silvio can fit if FULLY disassembled, into 26"*26"*10" box as Tilt Maniac, and Team Muse did.
A QX100 with 26" (559) wheels can also fit!
Hi SS
I'm just getting bike and gear together for my first foray into multi day touring, I will be using my alu home built Mbb,
With a 'bob' single wheel trailer .My question is ,can I use the prolite bracciano 700cx23 wheels currently on bike (widest tire I can fit in the frame would be 32 mm max) or do I need to buy touring specific wheels?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 40

super slim

Zen MBB Master
http://www.adventurecycling.org/default/assets/resources/200903_PSIRX_Heine.pdf

Sit on the bike while on a phone book and a digital bathroom scales and check the load on the front and rear wheels, with just you on the bike.
max load KG Max tyre pres (PSI) MIN tyre pres (PSI)
700 * 23 70 kg 145 psi 85 PSI
700 * 25 70 Kg 145 psi 85 psi
700 * 28 75 Kg 115 psi 85 psi
700 * 30 90 Kg 95 psi 55 psi
700 * 32 90 Kg 95 psi 55 psi

Choose the largest tyre size, at its minimum pressure for normal riding, by using the above chart.

Load up the Bobsled and connect it to the bike and check what the rear and front wheel loads with you and the trailer load, and recheck that the max tyre loads are not exceeded by more than 10%
Using the chart above check what the recommended tyre pressures are.

On my Silvio V1.0 I have TWE rims 19 mm outside width, and 13 mm inside width which is the same as your wheels.
I would not try any tyres wider than 28 as the exit angle from the rim is 45 degrees.

If you need to go to 32 mm wide tyre, then new wider rimmed rear wheel with 32 spokes and 23 / 28 mm wide rims preferably 30 mm deep aluminium, NOT carbon fibre is required.

Last edited:

Bentas

http://www.adventurecycling.org/default/assets/resources/200903_PSIRX_Heine.pdf

Sit on the bike while on a phone book and a digital bathroom scales and check the load on the front and rear wheels, with just you on the bike.
max load KG Max tyre pres (PSI) MIN tyre pres (PSI)
700 * 23 70 kg 145 psi 85 PSI
700 * 25 70 Kg 145 psi 85 psi
700 * 28 75 Kg 115 psi 85 psi
700 * 30 90 Kg 95 psi 55 psi
700 * 32 90 Kg 95 psi 55 psi

Choose the largest tyre size, at its minimum pressure for normal riding, by using the above chart.

Load up the Bobsled and connect it to the bike and check what the rear and front wheel loads with you and the trailer load, and recheck that the max tyre loads are not exceeded by more than 10%
Using the chart above check what the recommended tyre pressures are.

On my Silvio V1.0 I have TWE rims 19 mm outside width, and 13 mm inside width which is the same as your wheels.
I would not try any tyres wider than 28 as the exit angle from the rim is 45 degrees.

If you need to go to 32 mm wide tyre, then new wider rimmed rear wheel is required.
Thanks for this infomation

Rod Butler

Has anyone ever thought about using a Pinion gearbox? It would be relatively simple to implement into the boom of a Cruze bike. Much simpler than on a normal bike.
Here is the development = distance per revolution in meters.

View attachment 5691

I'm getting a Rolhoff laced onto a rim 'as we speak' (S40). Will test ride shortly, I'll keep you posted....I hope to have a belt drive eventually.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Hi SS
I'm just getting bike and gear together for my first foray into multi day touring, I will be using my alu home built Mbb,
With a 'bob' single wheel trailer .My question is ,can I use the prolite bracciano 700cx23 wheels currently on bike (widest tire I can fit in the frame would be 32 mm max) or do I need to buy touring specific wheels?
Is you experienced cycling camping friend, using a trailer OR carrying 4 Ortlieb bags + tent bag on his bike?

Bentas

He has been using handle bar bag and bob trailer ( no panniers) for years, 70 years old and heading across Bass Strait as we speak, to ride from Melbourne to Albury Wodonga to see family for the umpteenth time, always camps, metho stove, one man tent etc.
I feel really privileged as a young 60 year old to be shown the ropes by " Grasshopper " of touring.
I'm in the process of building DIY alu bob style trailer from parts I had lying around , pics to follow .

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Do you know the weight of luggage that "the Grasshopper" carried on the bobsled, as after his umpteenth 400+ km trip from Melbourne to Albury via the hills, he would have reduced his load to the minimum!

Bentas

I just spoke with Grasshopper , had a couple of front panniers this time as well as handle bar bag, and bobsled
He is guessing probably 20-25 kilos ,not including trailer weight, just getting into Wodonga ,took five days from Melbourne, not bad for an old dude!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I just spoke with Grasshopper , had a couple of front panniers this time as well as handle bar bag, and bobsled
He is guessing probably 20-25 kilos ,not including trailer weight, just getting into Wodonga ,took five days from Melbourne, not bad for an old dude!

Thats a LOT less weight than my first and only full self supported camping trip around Tasmania, of 1400 km in 20 days, on a 25 Kg Scorpion FX Trike, with 30 to 35 Kg luggage, including 4 off Rear 20L Ortlieb panniers and 3 off 6.3L side pockets which weighed 3.8 Kg.
This was TOO much, especially on the West Coast, where there is a LOT of climbing, but the best scenery on the road to Bernie, and especially the road from Queenstown to Lake St Clair!

Last edited:

Bentas

You've cycled more of Tas than me and I've lived here most of my life.
How, much gear/ weight do you carry on the Silvio, and would you tackle Tas west coast touring on MBB.
One more, how slow can you ride and stay in a straight line up hill?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
You've cycled more of Tas than me and I've lived here most of my life.
How, much gear/ weight do you carry on the Silvio, and would you tackle Tas west coast touring on MBB.
One more, how slow can you ride and stay in a straight line up hill?
Around Tasmania in 2009, it was a Scorpion FX folding touring Trike, so no minimum speed!

My minimum speed on a Cruzbike(Softrider, Quest, Silvio) is 4 kph, using a 22/24T chainring and a 32 T rear cassette!

When I rode around the South Island of New Zealand in Feb 2011, it was on a Softrider V1.0 with 3 off 20L Ortlieb rear panniers (19 kg), as I was staying in Hostels each night, so I saved 8.0 kg in tent + sleeping bag + base + 0.5L jet boil, and also 5 kg in extra food + water for camping in National Parks in Tasmania.

If I do a self supported camping trip in 2018 or 2019, up the Rhine, through Europe, on the dual suspended Silvio 30, it will be with 2 off 20 L ortlieb panniers (for clothes and camping + tent ) on a Arkel Randonneur rack (0.5 kg) + an Arkel rack bag(0.5 kg + 2.0 kg ) for waterproofs, leg/arm warmers & snacks + two 14mm od struts to to frame, and 2 off Radial Design Racer Narrow(NOT water proof!) 12.5 L each, for food + Jetboil 0.5L and bike spares, netbook, maps, chargers etc (in vacuum roll up sleeves).

I have been spoilt by doing 4 van supported bike camping tours in 2009 across Tibet, 2011 West Coast tour from Canada to Mexico, and in 2013 Across the Rockies, Vancouver to Calgary, then down the Rockies from Jasper to Whitefish (USA), where I only carried the Arkel Rack bag for waterproofs, leg warmers, and Lunch, and camped each night in a Caravan park, or National Park camp site, and the luggage was moved to each site, and cooked meals by riders or staff were provided each night, using a hotplate and food in a fridge or large Eskies!

Bentas

Wow,wow you have been there done that. Thanks for the detailed info, just bought a sugino triple crankset 26 ,36,46 / 165 mm
I have a a 12- 36 , 8 speed cassette, on a budget so I'm hoping this will get me started, found some old school Araya 700 rims spin true and smooth ,decent braking surface , they had 38 mm tyres fitted so should have no worries fitting MARATHOM 32's ,unless you know of a better touring tyre.
First mini 3 -4 day day tour of north/ north east Tas scheduled for March.
I got down to 7 Klm's h on my carbon bike yesterday but was weaving a bit , 4 Klmh is impressive!