S40- Wow!

Rod Butler

Hey there SS. On a ride across Oz in the summer of 1980, I remember pushing off from Mt Lofty, I don't think I pedaled again until I arrived in the centre of Adelaide :) Heck of a ride! ...Down the Bulli pass south of Sydney was another terrifying descent dodging flying bark off logging trucks.
But I digress.
Chris Rishworth (youtube & FB) does a lot of outback touring with the 'Extra Wheel' (www.extrawheel.com) trailer and really gives it some punishment.
...ever seen or used one of those? I'd love to try one on a cruzbike. Any thoughts?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Wow,wow you have been there done that. Thanks for the detailed info, just bought a sugino triple crankset 26 ,36,46 / 165 mm
I have a a 12- 36 , 8 speed cassette, on a budget so I'm hoping this will get me started, found some old school Araya 700 rims spin true and smooth ,decent braking surface , they had 38 mm tyres fitted so should have no worries fitting MARATHOM 32's ,unless you know of a better touring tyre.
First mini 3 -4 day day tour of north/ north east Tas scheduled for March.
I got down to 7 Klm's h on my carbon bike yesterday but was weaving a bit , 4 Klmh is impressive!

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/racing_tires
I would go with 700c * 32 or 35 Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Microskin HS 469 (5S 5G 1.5OR 6P 4D) $80 F

I have had a LOT of practice, due to an overweight, underpowered , OLD engine!!!

Leif

ml1.jpg Well it's been a little over a month of riding with my S40 so I thought I'd give an update.

First off, I'd like to say "thanks everyone!" for all the advice and shared experience on this forum. It's truly been an invaluable source of info and has greatly helped in the research, purchase and fine tuning of my cruzbike. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I think the most dramatic adjustment I've made to the bike is removing the headrest. That's right, after about 100 miles of riding, it became pretty clear I wasn't using it --- except to mount water bottle cages.
Yup, while trying to figure out how to carry water (I could't quite get the 'adding spacers to the existing holes on the back of the seat' to work), I first tried using clamp mounts from REI (only $8.00!) and then Cruzbike mounts ($50.00 -- ouch!).
bottle1.jpg
(This is the REI clamp mount with pump)

Both solutions worked well and even allowed me to carry a pump, but like I said, the headrest had to go.
I ended up drilling new holes a little higher up on the seat for the water bottle cages and that works fine and as you can see from the top pic, I also carry a bottle on the boom. Works great.
I carry a pump, tools, spare tubes, etc. in a fanny pack behind the seat. Seems temporary but works really well too.

To address wheel slip, I've swapped out my conti 4000 28's @ 100 psi for kenda happy medium 35's @ 80psi. Straight off the ride quality smoothed out significantly and slipping reduced especially on loose gravel inclines. I've also been experimenting with leaning forward on the seat while climbing which seems to have some effect, although I'm not sure I have enough experience doing this to have an opinion on the benefits if any.

I also ordered a Thor seat more than a month ago (does it take this long to get?) and honestly I'm not sure I'll be needing it. The stock seat really ain't so bad, especially with the ventisit pad. I'm actually wondering If I made a mistake shelling out the dough for the "upgrade". Oh well. Bikes are my weakness and as you can tell from this post, it probably won't be the last time I do a little overspending in the name of research (that's what I tell my wife).

Anyway, the bike's been a real blast to ride. I look forward to getting on it every day and continue to be amazed at how well it performs, especially since before purchasing the S40, I was all but scared off by some of the negative posts regarding Cruzbikes and MBB on this and other forums. So glad I did't listen!

-Leifml1.jpgbottle1.jpg

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I also ordered a Thor seat more than a month ago (does it take this long to get?) and honestly I'm not sure I'll be needing it.

US Customs is a bitch this time of year. Takes about 2 weeks to get stuff through Chicago on it's way west; that's usually the delay.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
View attachment 5878 ..
I think the most dramatic adjustment I've made to the bike is removing the headrest. That's right, after about 100 miles of riding, it became pretty clear I wasn't using it --- except to mount water bottle cages.
Yup, while trying to figure out how to carry water (I could't quite get the 'adding spacers to the existing holes on the back of the seat' to work), I first tried using clamp mounts from REI (only $8.00!) and then Cruzbike mounts ($50.00 -- ouch!)

-LeifView attachment 5878View attachment 5880
It would be nice to see a full picture of the bike after all the changes!

Balor

Zen MBB Master
By the way, I can even give a list WHY S40 is the best of Cruzbike offerings yet:

Compared to older models, they extended the wheelbase AND moved the seat back along the frame. Along with less recline, that means:

a. Weight distribution is pretty much the same.
b. You don't have to extend the boom (as in - distance from steering axis to BB) as much, much less so than on Softrider for instance.

This results in less pedal feedback and steering inertia - often overlooked, but really nasty aspect of MBBs, something you have to learn to get around.
There is also more trail, which gives more high-speed stability - something newbies have a lot of trouble with.
Welcome changes, all of them - especially for Leif, who must be a fairly large guy and boom extension on Softrider must be SO large that pedal feedback AND steering inertia were nearly uncontrollable.

I wish they'd further experiment with steering geometry and try for even shorter boom/steeper angle, but given how glowing reports are, maybe 'enough is enough'.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
View attachment 5878 Well it's been a little over a month of riding with my S40 so I thought I'd give an update.

Yup, while trying to figure out how to carry water (I could't quite get the 'adding spacers to the existing holes on the back of the seat' to work), I first tried using clamp mounts from REI (only $8.00!) and then Cruzbike mounts ($50.00 -- ouch!).
View attachment 5880
(This is the REI clamp mount with pump)

Both solutions worked well and even allowed me to carry a pump, but like I said, the headrest had to go.
I ended up drilling new holes a little higher up on the seat for the water bottle cages and that works fine and as you can see from the top pic, I also carry a bottle on the boom. Works great.
I carry a pump, tools, spare tubes, etc. in a fanny pack behind the seat. Seems temporary but works really well too.

-LeifView attachment 5878View attachment 5880

Could you please post the link to the REI clamp mount? Thanks.

Leif

Could you please post the link to the REI clamp mount? Thanks.

Hmmm.
Tried to post a link but I'm getting an error message. If you go to the REI website and search for Topeak Water Bottle Cage Mount, you should find it.

Works great!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master

Wow! looks very symetrical! Very well balanced! Love it!

However, I doubt you can reach the rear water bottle while riding, can you?
b2-jpg.5894

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Hey there SS. On a ride across Oz in the summer of 1980, I remember pushing off from Mt Lofty, I don't think I pedaled again until I arrived in the centre of Adelaide :) Heck of a ride! ...Down the Bulli pass south of Sydney was another terrifying descent dodging flying bark off logging trucks.
But I digress.
Chris Rishworth (youtube & FB) does a lot of outback touring with the 'Extra Wheel' (www.extrawheel.com) trailer and really gives it some punishment.
...ever seen or used one of those? I'd love to try one on a cruzbike. Any thoughts?
Rod I looked at one on the Internet, for a south Island tour of NZ, but stayed in Hostels instead of camping, so I only needed three 20L Ortlieb rear panniers, so 18 Kg Softrider + 19 kg of luggage!

Did you go down Greenhill Rd (LOTS of cars and bumpy!) OR the OLD freeway(NO Cars, fast and smooth!!) to Adelaide?

Leif

Wow! looks very symetrical! Very well balanced! Love it!

However, I doubt you can reach the rear water bottle while riding, can you?

Funny you should ask!

I honestly didn't know if I could reach the bottles after moving the cage mounts higher up the back of the seat -- or for that matter, from anywhere on the back of the seat. In fact, until you asked, I was happy just to be able to carry two more bottles and switch them out (at a stop) with the one hanging on the boom when empty. As it turns out, I actually can reach the bottle and put it back while riding. I just have to lean forward on the seat a little and reach back. Surprisingly easier than I thought.

Hydration - SOLVED!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
.... I just have to lean forward on the seat a little and reach back. Surprisingly easier than I thought.

Hydration - SOLVED!

Great idea. For me I can easily reach my rear bottle if it is positioned really low, just behind my lower back (lumbar) or directly behind my head/neck rest. Anywhere in between was difficult . However, I had not tried leaning forward a little. I will try that next time.

Rod Butler

Rod I looked at one on the Internet, for a south Island tour of NZ, but stayed in Hostels instead of camping, so I only needed three 20L Ortlieb rear panniers, so 18 Kg Softrider + 19 kg of luggage!

Did you go down Greenhill Rd (LOTS of cars and bumpy!) OR the OLD freeway(NO Cars, fast and smooth!!) to Adelaide?

I'm guessing it was the old freeway. It was certainly fast and smooth. My first long tour, from Brisbane to Perth. What a ride!
Do you keep up with the Indian Pacific Wheel Race? (https://www.indianpacificwheelrace.com/) It's on again next March.
...luv to see a Cruz bike doing it!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I'm guessing it was the old freeway. It was certainly fast and smooth. My first long tour, from Brisbane to Perth. What a ride!
Do you keep up with the Indian Pacific Wheel Race? (https://www.indianpacificwheelrace.com/) It's on again next March.
...luv to see a Cruz bike doing it!
Rod, I will be watching the Indian Pacific wheel race again, and the TransAM!
http://transambikerace.com

I hope no one gets killed this time!
I hope the riders are forced to fit a reflective triangle like this to themselves or the bike, so another rider like the leader Mike Hall does not killed.
http://sellin.com/GCFR/slowbike.html

I looked at the 2018 rules and the requirements for lights, reflective tape, and bright coloured clothing has increased dramatically!!!!!!

I can not believe how little sleep the guys and Gals, can survive on!

Rod, I will be watching the Indian Pacific wheel race again, and the TransAM!
http://transambikerace.com

I hope no one gets killed this time!
I hope the riders are forced to fit a reflective triangle like this to themselves or the bike, so another rider like the leader Mike Hall does not killed.
http://sellin.com/GCFR/slowbike.html

I looked at the 2018 rules and the requirements for lights, reflective tape, and bright coloured clothing has increased dramatically!!!!!!

I can not believe how little sleep the guys and Gals, can survive on!
I agree I like the idea of an ultrarace to push me a little but not to that extreme I am also considering just doing my own ride at my own pace possibly following their route or riding around Australia like a friend of mine, will probably start with a few smaller trips (again one day)

It's possible to load up a V2o for touring using things like Radical designs bags, but that is not its primary strength. By contrast the S40 has mounting points for both a rear rack and belly rack enabling it to carry traditional panniers and something like TerraTrikes belly bags.

If you want your bike to routinely carry things with multiple options for how you do it, then I would definitely recommend the S40 over the V20. (Note: commuting and hauling are also strengths of the QX100 and T50 models.)

For me the preference came down to the center of gravity that felt right. I enjoy riding each of the models. But when I climb onto the V20, the heavens part, angels sing and my soul does backflips. I saw one rider in Philadelphia have a similar experience on the S40.

Yes Abbot you are right-on!! I was the rider in Philly and purchased the floor model on the spot, thankfully Jim, Maria & Lucia allowed me to to take it home at the close of Saturday's show. I am now in Florida for the winter season and riding 26 miles daily. The best part, without any of my former ailments and complaints after rides on my standard frame Trek.

For anyone contemplating purchasing the S-40, my first experience with a recumbent could not have been better. At first I was skeptical if I would be able to master the technique but after 20 minutes on the test track at the convention in Philadelphia I was sold and haven't had one regret. I has proven to be the perfect ride for me. Particularly the model S-40.

I have entertained touring with it the near future. That was one of the S-40's selling points for me and after having two months experience riding, I am confident it will handle it easily.