Shine on you crazy diamond

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I think TOO many fans of his lights, must have emailed him, begging him to keep going!!!
Its amazing what the power of positive thoughts and actions can create!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Light arrived Saturday. Battery and charger arrived yesterday.

This is a very well made unit!

Battery strapped nicely to the frame under the seat, light mounted to headrest. No problems...other than temporary blindness when I first got the crazy thing charged. Wow!!

I do like the settings choices. I can see where the first three would be 'daylight only'! I'd hate to be following me at night with that thing flashing at full bore.

Miz Diane commented that if I ever get run over with the DS light on, the driver better claim to be legally blind...and bring his white cane to the trial. ;)

BJ686

Light arrived Saturday. Battery and charger arrived yesterday.

This is a very well made unit!

Battery strapped nicely to the frame under the seat, light mounted to headrest. No problems...other than temporary blindness when I first got the crazy thing charged. Wow!!

I just got mine as well, and am impressed so far. Haven't placed on the bike yet, but hopefully will have a chance to work on that tonight. Also, like you, I had an initial "blinding" incident when playing with it for the first time. Until you actually experience it, its hard to believe you have actually be careful with this thing.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
EMS mode is your day time friend. Takes a bit to learn the double/triple click and hold to power on the second mode set.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
EMS mode is your day time friend. Takes a bit to learn the double/triple click and hold to power on the second mode set.
+1 on EMS mode. The click sequence is no problem...except remembering which is which. Just will take doing it a few dozen times.

Now I gotta concentrate on finding a front light. Still thinking the Gemini ought to do the trick. I really just need a daytime blinky right now...but by Nov., I'll be doing a lot of riding in the dark.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Marc, The Design Shine front light is even better than the rear light, IF you can get one!!!
I think I read somewhere that he stopped making the front light when some of the other companies started coming out with equivalent (and cheaper) front lights. I really like the Gemini as it has a wireless remote switch with dimmer. I still have a set of TurboCat halogen lights (still mounted on my Baron). Those were like having automotive lights up front. Had a dimmer switch too. I'd have to come up with a battery replacement as the old NiCds are toast.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
So in preparation for my 24hr race I figured I'd run a few run time tests on the Gloworm X2 to see what output % I can get away with for the full 13hrs of darkness. I'm using a 6800mah 4cell battery pack and figured try 30% first since I think I ran 20 or 30% during last years race but can't remember if I used a 2 or 4 cell battery pack. So I fired it up and rode for 6 hours then parked the bike in the garage and checked the light every hour to see if it was still on. At 11hrs it was still on but I needed to go to bed and figured I wouldn't know if it would make it to the 13hr mark like I needed. The next morning I walk into the garage and was surprised and blinded by light. Sure enough 18hrs after I first turned it on at 30% it was still going strong. The last I saw it lit was 21hours so if venture a guess and say 30% can safely make it though the 13hrs of darkness in my race. Don't think 30% is a comprised output where I'm sacrificing being able to see what's ahead. I normally use a 2 cell pack and run the light at 40% on the road because that's all I need. I think I'll try a 40% run time test and hopefully go with that during the race. I guess I could try a 2 cell pack at 20% but the extra weight is not much and I'd rather make the other racers jealous with my superior lighting:D

Going with the Gemini with wireless remote was tempting for the race but I think I'll save my money and wait for Gloworm to release their wireless system that supposed to be in the works. Maybe I'll have it before Sebring to show off to you guys at the race.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I haven't had a chance to ride the Gemini lights at night...yet. I've just got the 2-cell battery (not doing 12/24, no issue). Good to know it can last!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
So in preparation for my 24hr race I figured I'd run a few run time tests on the Gloworm X2 to see what output % I can get away with for the full 13hrs of darkness. I'm using a 6800mah 4cell battery pack and figured try 30% first since I think I ran 20 or 30% during last years race but can't remember if I used a 2 or 4 cell battery pack. So I fired it up and rode for 6 hours then parked the bike in the garage and checked the light every hour to see if it was still on. At 11hrs it was still on but I needed to go to bed and figured I wouldn't know if it would make it to the 13hr mark like I needed. The next morning I walk into the garage and was surprised and blinded by light. Sure enough 18hrs after I first turned it on at 30% it was still going strong. The last I saw it lit was 21hours so if venture a guess and say 30% can safely make it though the 13hrs of darkness in my race. Don't think 30% is a comprised output where I'm sacrificing being able to see what's ahead. I normally use a 2 cell pack and run the light at 40% on the road because that's all I need. I think I'll try a 40% run time test and hopefully go with that during the race. I guess I could try a 2 cell pack at 20% but the extra weight is not much and I'd rather make the other racers jealous with my superior lighting:D

Going with the Gemini with wireless remote was tempting for the race but I think I'll save my money and wait for Gloworm to release their wireless system that supposed to be in the works. Maybe I'll have it before Sebring to show off to you guys at the race.

I've got the six cell on the Gemini Duo; high beam is good for about 2 hours, never thought to do the runtime test. Must go do that.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I've got the six cell on the Gemini Duo; high beam is good for about 2 hours, never thought to do the runtime test. Must go do that.
Your six cell is most likely using last gen cells unless it's a custom made pack and thus not a full 150% capacity over my four cell. It amazing how long the 3400mAh cells have been the top dog in the cell capacity market. You'd think with so much invested in making batteries better they'd have higher capacity cells each year.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I have a half dozen batteries from this eBay seller. I even have one of his big daddy 8cell 13600mAh packs for my all night MTB stuff.

Just pasti dip the whole pack a couple times and it's now waterproof. I like to use the magic shine rubber battery straps sold by ActionLedLights to quickly strap them to the frame. For my 24hr race I'm using that hard snap plastic Velcro stuff for an even quicker exchange although it doesn't look like I'll need to swap batteries.

http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/Panasoni...ght-2S2P-US-/221312764259?hash=item338744c963

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ok so I just finished my second Gloworm X2 1500 lumen 40% run time test with the 6800mAh battery. I swear I started my timer at 6:30 last night but when I checked this morning the timer wasn't running. So assuming it was indeed 6:30 when I turned on the light it went for 13hr and died about 7:30 this morning. So I can maybe just get through the 13hrs of darkness during my race at 40% but if the cold temps at night shorten my battery life like it should then it won't make it. 21 hours of run time at 30% will leave me with 8 hours of cushion for errors and cold temps so that's what I go with.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jason, do you have a photo of the AUSTRALIAN Plasti Dip coated battery, and have you ridden with it in the rain?
VERY impressive battery life AND price!

What battery charger are you using?