Short Crank Arms

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
updated pic of final tuning

I have now moved my boom about 1" closer to me - still have 60mm extension, Ventist seat pad, 150mm cranks, and Q-rings installed.
Per suggestion of Steve, I first tried to position myself with my heel flat against the pedal with my leg fully extended and knee locked. Then when I clip in, I have a slight bend in my knee at the same position. Seems to work pretty nicely. My knee is still bend more than I would really like when when pedal is closest, but much better than it was. Went on about a 30 mile ride last night. Felt pretty good. Think my knee and calves are almost totally recovered now . Will try about a 60 mile ride today as my final longish ride before then Mid-Atlantic event next Sat (23rd), then a few easy rides next week with final tuning if needed. My only issue now is that I have a "clanking" sound from my derailleur (Gary thinks it might be the clutch). It seems to get worse the faster I go. It is not related to how hard I am pushing, so pretty sure it is not in the BB. Very annoying however - hope to get this resolved before the Mid-Atlantic, as I would hate to have to ride with it clanking like that for 12 hours. :) Here are my last pics of my positions:

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hi Larry, the clanking sound

Hi Larry, the clanking sound - check the q-ring when at it's largest dia, the chain my be rubbing the top-inside of the front derailleur.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Wow that's looking a lot

Wow that's looking a lot better. One last thing you can try. Those look like SPD clipless pedals. If so; mount the shoe bracket as close to the heel as the shoe allows. That will take a few more millimeters out of the leg bend. It feels weird at first but your legs will quickly adapt; you clip-in technique will be off for a few days as you miss the peds but that come back fast.