Silvio 1.0 Chainstay Extension

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I have a question about the chainstay extensions for the Silvio 1.0. i am considering the 100mm extension. The bike I am riding in my Avatar is the bike receiving the treatment.

If I install the extension, is there anything else I should consider doing?

Will I still be able to run a triple?.. Will I really even need a triple? I've been reading where people have reported better climbing power.

I know this is kind of old school, now. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Mark i'm not using mine if you want to try it out you will have to add a few links to your chain is all.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Mark i'm not using mine if you want to try it out you will have to add a few links to your chain is all.

Thanks, Jack! I'll let you know. I'm just toying with the idea of some upgrades, at this point.

We need to get together and ride again, sometime. It's been too long!

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Ultegra triple works fine with the 100mm extension on my Silvio 1.0.
Thanks for that. I figured it would work just fine, I just wanted to make sure.

Was I imagining things, or did they come out with the curved boom for the 1.0 at one point in time?

Mark

hurri47

My 1.0 came to me with a 100 mm extension and a Campy triple (see my avatar). It worked fine for the year I rode it that way, but I took it off to try the standard-type fit (I'm a standard-size guy), and everything got better except for my already high hands getting a little higher. The curved boom that started with the 1.5 would probably have been best for me. I sold the extension after six months of riding without it.

Warnings: the extension requires a chain length greater than a single standard chain, and you will probably need to play with the mounting point of the front derailleur to get the shifting right. (I moved the FD down one position when I took the extension off.)

-Dan

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Warnings: the extension requires a chain length greater than a single standard chain, and you will probably need to play with the mounting point of the front derailleur to get the shifting right. (I moved the FD down one position when I took the extension off.)

-Dan

Thanks, Dan! I figured there would be some front derailleur fiddling. No worries. I also accepted the fact I would have to piece a chain together. That's not a problem. Thanks for the heads up!

Mark