Silvio 1.0 front shock

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I seem to have an issue, I think, with my front shock. When I hit a bigger bump, it sounds like it's completely void of air pressure. When I put the pump on the shock, though, it shows I have 100# in it. I bumped the pressure and it seems to be holding. It rides like butter most of the time, I just don't remember it taking that disconcerting sound. I think I will try letting all the pressure out and start fresh.

Am I losing my mind, here, or am I guilty of overthinking it, again?

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I believe the recommended pressure for the average weight adult is 150 lbs.
I always used to run 100# in it and it was fine. I don't remember it making this sound unless I forgot to pump it up. I am a bit heavier, now, then when I rode it before, but I don't recall ever running it that high.

Anything is worth a try, though.

Mark

telephd

Guru
Mark, I ran 150psi in the shock on my S1.0 and S30 too. I think know the sound you are talking about and it may be associated with an abrupt hit to the front end. There are a couple of joints on the bridge underpasses on the Santa Ana River trail near us that used to jar my eye teeth no matter the pressure in the shock. I think it may have actually bottomed out the shock. I now ride the new unsuspended S30 and hit the same bumps with no noise. BTW, I live up the hill from you and ride the Santa Ana River trail often. Id like to meet for a ride one day...

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Mark, I ran 150psi in the shock on my S1.0 and S30 too. I think know the sound you are talking about and it may be associated with an abrupt hit to the front end. There are a couple of joints on the bridge underpasses on the Santa Ana River trail near us that used to jar my eye teeth no matter the pressure in the shock. I think it may have actually bottomed out the shock. I now ride the new unsuspended S30 and hit the same bumps with no noise. BTW, I live up the hill from you and ride the Santa Ana River trail often. Id like to meet for a ride one day...

I know just the bump you're talking about. That bridge that juts out over the channel. Brutal bump. Anyway... I'd love to hook up for a ride and eyeball that S30.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
As a follow up to this, I purged the system of all air and witnessed as the shock collapsed. I pumped it up to 150# as was suggested and I found that the ride was what I remembered... Way stiff and I got more wheel hop/spin than I like. Next ride, I'll try back at 125#. Maybe I forgot about the bottoming out knock, whatever, but it sticks in my mind that at one time, 100# was right at my sweet spot. I might be a little more rotund, at the moment, though.

I was just glad to see that my shock is still holding pressure, though I think I might have had some stale air in there. That, right there, was a joke, for you more serious types.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I played with this some more today and after reading an old post of mine where I cited 115# pressure riding at a weight comparable to where I'm at now, I decided to give that a try. I was on to something the first time. 115# was just right. Compliant ride and no bottoming out, only minimal wheel hop/slip. Life is good!

Mark

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Mark, you should replace the stale air with Helium, to give you a lighter front end!!!
Well actually you can get a gas station / tire joint to put argon in it for you; and it will indeed last longer you just better know you PSI from the get go.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Well actually you can get a gas station / tire joint to put argon in it for you; and it will indeed last longer you just better know you PSI from the get go.
You know... It's funny.... When I took my bike down after hanging for a longer time than I care to admit, it was still carrying 100#. Not too bad, considering it was stale air!

Mark

RAR

Argon ?..Did you mean nitrogen ?