Silvio II and other

Dr. Dan

Hi all, especially John.

Happy new year! I am planning to buy a Cruzbike before the end of this year, which gives me some time to test out a few. I live near Fort Lauderdale, Florida so there is a dealer with a Softrider II available for me to try out. I am currently riding a Lemond and appreciate the efficieny of the road bike. I have read your comments and those of your helper/builders suggesting that the next version of the Silvio will be out and be 18lbs or so. What improvements besides weight will you be making? Will the new verison of the Silvio be out before the end of 2009? How much will the frame cost? I have a Campy record (6yrs old) for the doner bike and the Lemond has Shimano Ulgtegra (3yrs old). Which do you recommend?

I'd love to plunk down the 2k for the Silvio, but you have some experiene with suggesting the best bike for people's needs. Here is how I use my current bike and how I plan to use it. First, I am 63 and aches and pains have caught up with me, so I am able to ride for short distances only. I commute to work -- 20 miles a day -- 80 for the week. I ride with a group for another 25-30 on the weekends. I would like to do some longer rides and in the summer ( I teach college) I'd like to do a few much longer rides, organized by a club or on my own. The MS 150 or the AIDS ride of 400 miles. I could buy a Softrider II and use it for commuting, but I wonder how well I would be able to keep up with others on those fast carbon road bikes on weekends. Will I be able to do any long distance riding on the Silvio -- carrying the essentials for a few days? I know about the front rack, so maybe... Would you suggest a MBT y frame conversion with 700 wheels, etc?

I am very interested in the lwb folding bike you are working on as well. When will that be available, how much will it weigh? Any ideas of cost? I can only store one bike in teh cond and have to put it on a hook in my closet, so that is a consideration too.

Guess I have been saving up questions.

I have read all of the forums and the Yahoo groups, but I am noy sure what catagory this post would fit into and I am not sure how to join, since all seem to alrady have a Cruzbike.

I hope you are able to take the time out to answer me in person and perhaps post to the forum.

I hope you have a happy and productive new year.

Dan McGavin

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Dr Dan, welcome,

I am not planning on producing an 18lb Silvio, I cut no corners on the original Silvio, so there is no real change anticipated. Sure I know how to make it better, and i will do so when the business case justifies it. These things take a huge amount of design time as you would guess when you are not just sketching up but actually getting things made.

Between your Campy and Shimano I would choose whichever you personally prefer. I like the cables neat against the bars like on the campy, but I also like the shimano change feel, I got used to it first I suppose.

If staying with the road bikes is important to you, then a Silvio will make you happy. The sofrider and conversion bikes are very good at getting your energy into the wheel, but there is a lot of frame that has to be pushed through the air and which requires investment of potential energy and kinetic energy.

Supported rides are no problem on a Silvio of course. A few light items on a day ride can go on the rack. For a few days touring, hang panniers under the seat. Loop a strap over the down tube right in front of the seat, and another through the hole in the rear upper stay mounting to keep the weight attached to the frame, and not to the suspended frame elements.

The LWB solid steer bent is named SIGMA. It will retail complete at around USD2500. It will be a quick bike also compared to others of the same seating posture and BB height, because there is almost nothing in the undercarriage air flow. No FD, no RD, no roller, no vertical tubes.

Dr. Dan

Thanks, John and Mark. I am looking forward to riding a Softrider II at my local bike shop to get a feel for what I might be in for. From what I have read, and from the assurances from John, the Silvio looks like the best bike for me. Some of the South Florida Bent riders are happily riding Brevets (100k rides) and I hope that I can join them with the Silvio, as well as take the same bike on a regular commute to the university which is 12 miles from home. Any comments?

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Dr. Dan wrote: Thanks, John and Mark. I am looking forward to riding a Softrider II at my local bike shop to get a feel for what I might be in for. From what I have read, and from the assurances from John, the Silvio looks like the best bike for me. Some of the South Florida Bent riders are happily riding Brevets (100k rides) and I hope that I can join them with the Silvio, as well as take the same bike on a regular commute to the university which is 12 miles from home. Any comments?

Hi Dan,

Belated welcome...

As for using the Silvio for Brevets and commuting, no problem. If you're a real fanatic, you might use two sets of wheels and tires, one with nice sporty 700c x 23mm tires, and one with 700c x 28mm touring/commuter tires, but a good set of 700c x 25mm's will serve you well for both applications. The suspension will soak up commuting bumps, while a good set like Conti GP's will serve very well in both roles because of their rolling resistance. As an experienced rider, you already know about tires that are hard to mount on the rim; that's the only complaint I have with GP4000's. I have Vittoria Evo Cx's at 23mm on my Silvio and it does commuting stuff very nicely with them, though they're rumored to be a bit delicate (which I don't understand, because they're Kevlar belted).

Best,

Doug