SoftRider Replacement Handlebars

I bought a new SoftRider v2.2 in December, and wanted to see if anyone as replaced the stock handlebars with
Bacchetta "Tweeners" or the RAN HR 3-Way High Racer Adjustable Handlebars?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses

Gil Chichester

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
On my conversion, I've replace my handlebars with Nashbar Moustache bars. I like them a lot.
NS-MHB-NCL-FRONT.jpg
IMAG1017.jpg

Charles,
Thanks for the fast response!
I was thinking of some that would allow more of a recline.
It's hard to tell from this pic how much your seat is reclined

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Charles,
Thanks for the fast response!
I was thinking of some that would allow more of a recline.
It's hard to tell from this pic how much your seat is reclined

My seat is usually fairly reclined (~ 35 degrees). Sometimes lower, sometimes a lot higher (when I'm pulling kids with the trail-a-bike).

IMAG0755.jpg

I believe it's more a question of getting the handlebars where you want them than the handlebars. I prefer these because my wrists are in a more natural position (my hand is vertical like I'm about to shake your hand instead of horizontal).

I believe the handlebars you asked about are fairly similar except that the mustache bars allow some room for my knees. I'm convinced you could get the bar below to work and I'd personally find it more comfortable than the stock Sofrider bars.
handlebar_400x300.jpg

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Gary 2 bar, flipped end over end and rotated forward approx 90 degrees. Currently (after those pics were taken) have the seat back to 45 degrees, same as Silvio 1 and 1.5. Good reach, knee clearance etc. Note that the stem faces backward to give leg clearance and allow for good reach.

KM

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    655.3 KB · Views: 79

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Hand positions (same bar on Silvio)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    865.2 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    863.2 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    839.4 KB · Views: 52

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Nitto B115 handlebars trial on Sofrider--narrower, more aero (not usually a real consideration on a Sofrider!) but since there is very very little flare on the extensions--and none on the ramps--note how it presses into wrist/forearm. Ok for a short ride but I don't think it would be comfortable for any long distance. Back to Gary 2. (But the Silver friction shifters are quite nice. Work well on 9spd. Gonna keep them)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 45
My thanks to both of you for sharing your experiences. I was a little concerned about knee clearance if I used the "Tweeners".
So after checking out the Nashbar Moustache bars and seeing how inexpensive the were, I ordered them.
If they don't work for me I might order RAN HR 3-Way High Racer Adjustable Handlebars.

Thanks again
Gil Chichester

thwaters

Charles, I have the Bachetta-type tweener bar that you recommended. I will install it on my SoftriderV2 in the near future as part of a 9-speed custom cluster made from three different cassettes with Paul thumbies and Dura-Ace bar ends. It may take me awhile to get around to it -- but I will give a report. I have had shoulder problems and will try the tweeners in a drop-down position where I can "drop" my hands to my side. The only problem will be that tight turns will not be possible due to "closed in" versus an "open" cockpit. If it helps the shoulder problems from reaching forward, so be it. I'm about to turn 70 with rotator cuff problems! I also considered the mustache bars you mentioned, and will try them if dissatisfied with the tweeners. (system shows "new member" - I've been a member since 2008!)
My seat is usually fairly reclined (~ 35 degrees). Sometimes lower, sometimes a lot higher (when I'm pulling kids with the trail-a-bike).

IMAG0755.jpg

I believe it's more a question of getting the handlebars where you want them than the handlebars. I prefer these because my wrists are in a more natural position (my hand is vertical like I'm about to shake your hand instead of horizontal).

I believe the handlebars you asked about are fairly similar except that the mustache bars allow some room for my knees. I'm convinced you could get the bar below to work and I'd personally find it more comfortable than the stock Sofrider bars.
handlebar_400x300.jpg

scoutie22

Newbie question: I bought a used SofRider and it came with Easy Rider bars. I would like to try riding with another handle bar style (some of the options here look great) but I can't figure out how I would go about getting the bars attached. Is there normally a stock head tube extender for the Sofrider? In my case, the head tube has a plastic plug installed and underneath that is a threaded insert that has a hex nut/plate that compresses a spring. I need to know what I need to get in order to attach a riser to the head tube so that I can put on some new bars. Does this make sense? I absolutely love the bike.

Elisa

Gary 2 bar, flipped end over end and rotated forward approx 90 degrees. Currently (after those pics were taken) have the seat back to 45 degrees, same as Silvio 1 and 1.5. Good reach, knee clearance etc. Note that the stem faces backward to give leg clearance and allow for good reach.

KM
I am looking into these handle bars - my wrists are giving me issues from other activities. Why did you flip the bar? What type of brake and shifters are you using?

Thanks

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I am looking into these handle bars - my wrists are giving me issues from other activities. Why did you flip the bar? What type of brake and shifters are you using?

Thanks

Briefly, I wanted something like bullhorn bars, since they seemed like they would be the most ergonomic IF they could be set nearly vertical to keep the wrists straight. For me this has turned out to be the case. Very comfortable, great control of the bike, and affords several hand positions. No other commercially available bar works better than just the off-road drop bars like the Gary bar. I use a similar bar set up the same way on my Vendetta.

On the Sofrider I'm using Shimano aero brake levers, with a TRP disc brake up front and a Paul V-brake in back. Both work well despite the Shimano levers being short-pull levers.
The shifters are bar end shifters. Mine are SRAM because the derailleurs are SRAM. If your derailleurs are Shimano, Shimano makes some nice bar ends also.

castlerobber has the same handlebar set-up on her Silvio, but she uses SRAM brifters instead of separate brake levers and shifters. This works well too; I had Shimano brifters on the Sofrider when it had Shimano derailleurs. I like bar ends better but that's just personal preference.

The pictures in the post above that you referenced show the Shimano 105 brifters. I've since changed to the bar ends etc. There are pics of the current set-up on the forum somewhere. If you can't find them and want to see the current set-up, it would be easy enough to post them on this thread

Any other questions, just ask. Happy to help.

KM

Last edited: