Softrider Shock

Luis Rives

I replaced the standard spring shock in my Softrider V2 with an air shock last season and its like a brand new bike. I believe that this is the biggest improvement that could be made to this model. Just wanted to share the tip.

b1kebox

Did the same years ago using the Kind Shock A5-R. This was the first upgrade most Sofrider owners made. I rode a stock Sofrider this weekend and noticed the difference right away.

jbruns8234

CycleAddict
I can buy a Kind A5 RR1 dual chamber 125 mm on ebay for $75. I have a 2011 Sofrider V2. Will this fit and is that a good deal ?

Luis Rives

I do not know what year my Softrider is. Take a look at the photos under the "Marketplace" forum, thread "Softrider for sale, with extras" and let me know if your is like mine. If so I will measure my shock. I seem to recall that it is longer than 125mm but let me know if your model matches mine.

Luis Rives

The shock is a DNM mountain bike air shock, I measured it and it appears to be 165mm. Length is kind of hard to tell exactly because since its mounted its slightly extended.

Rampa

Guru
Pretty sure they all used 165's. Do not go shorter, unless you like wheel-flop! You could get away with a longer shock if you just it give it a bit more sag when you set it up, to keep your geometry similar.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Softrider V1 165 mm fully extended, 40 mm travel, Kind Shock R1 Single chamber (190 gm weight saving over the Cruzbike spring only unit, AND Greatly improved suspension!!!!!)

A 125 mm unit with only 20 mm travel, will give very little suspension movement!

jond

Zen MBB Master
Both my double chamber kind shocks failed. So did one dnm. I fitted two o rings instead of one and DNM has lasted. 25;000 klm now. That’s on the hurricane I hasten to add. My sofrider has a DNM coil damper with longer spring from oem kind shock. It’s generally on the kickr trainer. Lightweight Aussies rule huh. Pretty hard to get 165 mm air shock of quality but I’m really happy with the plush two chambered DNM. DNM is now 42 mm travel not previous 38 mm. You must be 57 kg by now mate.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Yes the two chambered kind was impossible insitu on hurricane to adjust negative chamber. Not so DNM. I should one day fit a DNM to sofrider but I am lazy.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Both my double chamber kind shocks failed. So did one dnm. I fitted two o rings instead of one and DNM has lasted. 25;000 klm now. That’s on the hurricane I hasten to add. My sofrider has a DNM coil damper with longer spring from oem kind shock. It’s generally on the kickr trainer. Lightweight Aussies rule huh. Pretty hard to get 165 mm air shock of quality but I’m really happy with the plush two chambered DNM. DNM is now 42 mm travel not previous 38 mm. You must be 57 kg by now mate.

No, 69 kg (150 lbs) which was my weight through all my High schools (Y8 to Y12) years, while also hitting 6'1" in Yr 8!!!
AND my good cycling friends, still say that I am so skinny, that I disappear when I turn sideways!

From another thread, the DNM 2 chamber air spring was much better than the Kind 2 chamber, and as you have stated!
My 2010 single chamber Kind shock has no rebound chamber, to give better suspension ride on rough corrugated roads, like in NSW!!

jond

Zen MBB Master
No, 69 kg (150 lbs) which was my weight through all my High schools (Y8 to Y12) years, while also hitting 6'1" in Yr 8!!!
AND my good cycling friends, still say that I am so skinny, that I disappear when I turn sideways!

From another thread, the DNM 2 chamber air spring was much better than the Kind 2 chamber, and as you have stated!
My 2010 single chamber Kind shock has no rebound chamber, to give better suspension ride on rough corrugated roads, like in NSW!!

lol slim you’re such a two dimensional south Aussie apologist. Yes I remember doing a review on the shocks but that was an eon ago and thought a thunk here might be of help. New info 42 v 38 and I need the grift. Now here I am in the antique section talking with a fellow Aussie fossil. I’ve missed you. Keep face I can see you slim. seriously now I hope you are well mate.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
lol slim you’re such a two dimensional south Aussie apologist. Yes I remember doing a review on the shocks but that was an eon ago and thought a thunk here might be of help. New info 42 v 38 and I need the grift. Now here I am in the antique section talking with a fellow Aussie fossil. I’ve missed you. Keep face I can see you slim. seriously now I hope you are well mate.
I am in good health, and as fit as bull!!!!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I am in good health, and as fit as bull!!!!
Jond, are you safe with the floods near Sydney? I assume being on the coast you would be OK.

Don't go fishing on your Kayak, as high currents, murky water, and great conditions for the number predator of the sea, and that is NOT you!!!!

jond

Zen MBB Master
Jond, are you safe with the floods near Sydney? I assume being on the coast you would be OK.

Don't go fishing on your Kayak, as high currents, murky water, and great conditions for the number predator of the sea, and that is NOT you!!!!

yes all fine here at port Stephens. The water level has not risen at all where I am. The entry to port Stephens is very very wide. I would imagine the myal lakes are up as the river is longish before emptying into port Stephens.
I’m no shark.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
yes all fine here at port Stephens. The water level has not risen at all where I am. The entry to port Stephens is very very wide. I would imagine the myal lakes are up as the river is longish before emptying into port Stephens.
I’m no shark.
I think you are Too long in the tooth, to be a shark!!!