SOLD - Sofrider - $225 - Mechanicsville, VA

NeaL

Guru
20863370_10214185470617860_1738690816927309701_o.jpg
The seat was all the way back on the bottom bracket. The rear bolt was a challenge, squeezing my fat fingers into a cramped space under the top bar, with a bike refusing to stand still on a gravel driveway.
John Tolhurst's videos assembling a Sofrider were helpful. I decided to move the bracket to his suggested, halfway, two-towards-the-front, two-towards-the-back position. Yes, I'd like the seat forward as much as possible but I didn't want to have to take the bolts all apart again. I wasted enough time searching the gravel for dropped nuts and washers, already. So I just finger-tightened at first for an initial sitting.

https://scontent.fphl2-3.fna.fbcdn....=25819b42fb7887558254896120fc1d13&oe=5A37BC35

NeaL

Guru
I had meant to put the seat plate all the way forward on the bracket but after putting it on, taking it off, snugging down the bracket bolts, repositioning the seat plate, then fighting with the back post, in the end I mistakenly put the seat plate towards the rear. Well, I guess I won't get it right the first time. Besides, as I burn off the fat my X-seam is likely to change as the thickness of blubber on my seating area decreases. As it is, my groin is almost too close to the steering post.
20901026_10214185477098022_6750896638549163706_o.jpg

NeaL

Guru
I don't know if it's possible to move a thread to another forum but I kinda want to continue using this as a place where I continue blogging about my Sofrider and the progress I've made in riding it.

I finally, finally, FINALLY got the time to take it to a big, empty, wide open parking lot to take it for a spin, today. I had replaced the handle bars and finally got a few pedaling revolutions in, but those were on gravel surfaces or places too steep and narrow to get much practice in.

I pedaled around freely and, of course, had to be too much of a speed demon and ended up wiping out on a turn. Massive strawberries on both the left hip and left calf. Funny, I had an appointment to go give blood in about an hour.
It turned out later that the blood drive had been last week but they had to cancel because they couldn't get a driver for their Bloodmobile. I gave blood anyway, right there on the asphalt. And that was my fault, not the bike's.

After going in big, wide circles, counter-clockwise and clockwise, uphill and down (it was a gently sloped parking lot with a few areas of varying steepness) I finally took it up a wheelchair access curb onto sidewalk and back down another wheelchair access point into a much flatter parking lot for doing figure-eights.
I had read someplace about needing to lean outwards on a curve. I tried both leaning in and leaning out, neither of them very smoothly. This is my first recumbent of any kind so I don't have much prior experience with this new means of balancing.

Oh, and I decided that having the pedals as close as I had them was helpful in getting me started on learning how to, well, start. But after riding a bit and getting some familiarity with the feel of it, I tried lengthening the pedal position out half a mark and it felt better. Eventually I'd like it out as far as possible and move the seat forward again, lean it back some more, but I've still got too much lard in my seat. It's like having pillows back there, the way it moves the hips and groin forwards.
Both my mom and dad had those big, huge, bubble-butts so it's hereditary. This confused me during my slimmer teen years when learning to drive. I was taller than my mom but always had to move the car seat forwards after she drove it, as if she had longer legs. Nope, turns out she needed the extra room for her butt.

My kids were practicing on their unicycles while I was doing this. My son called me over, asking if I wanted my helmet. See the thread I started elsewhere on that topic.
I figure the helmet is more suited for commuting when I have to contend with traffic. For just me on a bike, putt-putt-putting around a parking lot? Hell no. People wearing protective gear tend to get reckless, feeling like they're invulnerable. If I do something stupid, I want to know ahead of time that I'm going to seriously feel it.

So... no idea how far I managed to bike today, maybe a half hour to forty-five minutes. Got some good scrapes to show for it. I'd post a picture but I'm not ready to show the world how fat I still am.

Next is the, what, 25 mile challenge on the "Learn To Ride" page on the Cruzbike website? I might need to take my kids up to the C&O canal since it's relatively flat, I don't have one of those fancy bike/trip computers, and the path has mile markers to make the math easy. I'll figure something out but I'm still a little too wobbly to "share the road" with anyone.

Last edited:

1happyreader

zen/child method
I pedaled around freely and, of course, had to be too much of a speed demon
Sounds like a kid with a new toy !!!!
I tried both leaning in and leaning out, neither of them very smoothly.
pedaling thru slow tight curves are when I lean out the most.
but I'm still a little too wobbly to "share the road" with anyone.
since I am not staring at my front wheel I like to imagine stepping on the line/edge of the road with my outside foot as a steering aid.

NeaL

Guru
I got in two miles today riding a narrow, one mile, loop trail in a park; first going in one direction and then back the other way. I kept it in a low gear for most of the way, shifting up and down a couple times. The derailleurs are still way out of adjustment and the brakes are borderline squishy to useless.
I'm still having difficulty keeping it from wandering off the paved path into the dirt and grass. Also still struggling with getting myself moving from a standstill if the terrain is even the slightest uphill.

This is my calf due to yesterday's mishap but my hip looks a lot worse. Very sore. This made me extra cautious while riding today. Emotional pendulum swinging from, "Okay, yeah, I've got this" to sudden moments of sheer panic.
21368746_10214331933519341_1179950471283545823_o.jpg

Tool bag mounting location, at the moment. This will have to go someplace else.
21367078_10214331922119056_863247811927788624_o.jpg

New handlebar and stem angle.
21273114_10214331917918951_1463967419818158084_o.jpg

Current new seat position and backrest angle.
21316477_10214331931599293_3079971826438202319_o.jpg

Last edited:

NeaL

Guru
Due to lots of delays which I'll just sum up as "life," I finally got a rack mounted last night. Nothing I could find seemed to be a good fit so I had to visit hardware stores to look for things I could adapt and repurpose.

On my previous bike I had one of those seatpost racks they made for those Y frame mountain bikes and I hated it. It was always coming loose, swinging around the post and hitting me on the backs of my thighs.
I wanted this rack mounted entirely on the back half of the hinge, not bridging across it, and this is the best I've come up with so far. It's still tilted a little towards the front but at least it won't be dragging on the ground behind the bike.

This was the main obstacle in my starting to commute to work; where to put the panniers or some other means of carrying my laptop and a change of clothes.

Two "Cruzbike" bottle cages, one "Cruzbike" sling pack, one B&M Cycle Star mirror, two Axiom panniers, two Lezyne tail lights, one RavX tail light, one Cygolite headlight, two Lezyne headlights, two red single stem handlebar extenders, one blue double stem handlebar extender, one new innertube, and one new handlebar later I was all ready to commute the next morning.

22538794_10214688326628946_3474591452696469315_o.jpg

22498993_10214688327588970_732812666257402969_o.jpg

Until I remembered that tomorrow would be Thursday and I'd need my truck right after work. Biking to work on Fridays is out, too. Darn, gotta wait until Monday morning.
Well, it's a good opportunity this weekend to load up the panniers with enough weight to see how the ride is going to feel when I can finally make that commute!

1happyreader

zen/child method
I wanted this rack mounted entirely on the back half of the hinge, not bridging across it, and this is the best I've come up with so far. It's still tilted a little towards the front but at least it won't be dragging on the ground behind the bike.

Good job on mounting your racks front end to a solid non-suspended frame point.:)

The Old Man Mountain racks are designed to mount that way , but they are expensive, $100 usd plus.
junkyard 101.png

NeaL

Guru
yup,,, thats the position on a SofRider.
View attachment 5349

Replacing the handlebars solved the problem with the knee clearance. Unfortunately, last night I had to finally surrender and move the seat back to where it had been. Due to the mass in by a$$, I was too close up against the steering post. My "what-what" couldn't take it anymore. Until I burn off enough of the fat, I won't be able to move the seat forward and recline as much as I'd like.

1happyreader

zen/child method
. I won't be able to move the seat forward and recline as much as I'd like.
IMHO As long as you can pedal thru the turns your seat is fine.
If you need the bars further back , so you can recline more, consider a shorter stem.
with a super short stem you can mount it on the wrong side ( belly side not forward ) that should clear your knees for sure. :)

Rampa

Guru
Hi Neal,
If you flip the bracket on the back of the seat upside-down, it gains you a lot more adjustability. That seat-rail thing held on with 3 allen screws and nylocks.

It is pretty flexible, so I bolted the 2 wide ends to the lower bottle-cage holes, and then drilled a new hole for the other end where it contacted the seat. The bottle-cage holes are wider, but the thing flexed enough that it worked. I have my seat further back than suggested, and leaned back quite a bit.

The back is supported a little lower that way, so you'll have to evaluate if it is enough support or not.

NeaL

Guru
I was having problems getting my rear derailleur to work right so I finally gave up and took it into a local bike shop.
The guy working there was understandably disoriented working on a bike like this one.

First observation he made, the cable housing was too floppy. Someone had used brake cable. I didn't know there was a difference.
I knew the front derailleur shifter had three positions but only two front sprockets, so I had already set the stops to prevent it from moving over to that third position and losing the chain.
The rear shifter has seven positions but he noted that the rear cassette has eight. Well, that was news! I hadn't even counted them.

While he worked on it, I talked with him and another customer about the advantages of the Cruzbike design. I talked about its history, from the conversion kits to complete bikes, to eventually full in-house designs. I told them about the 2018 V20 coming with its money back guarantee. Looking at my Sofrider, they couldn't picture how a bike like that could make such a bold claim.
I told them to bring up YouTube, search "Cruzbike rebellion."

"Whoa! And that thing is tricked out with some serious components."
One guy said to the other, actual quote after the video, "You know what time it is? I think it's time to get a Cruzbike."

Last edited:

1happyreader

zen/child method
The rear shifter has seven positions but he noted that the rear cassette has eight. Well, that was news! I hadn't even counted them.
You would need to buy at least an 8 speed shifter to correct whatever the last owner did to your bike .
If your think you would ever want a 20 speed Sofrider now would be a good time look at components.
Micro shift components can save you some cash $$$$ but they are a Shimano based line.
In general Shimano and Sram don't mix and match.
???? Do you remember what the rear deraileur was labled ???

NeaL

Guru
You would need to buy at least an 8 speed shifter to correct whatever the last owner did to your bike .

Reading up on what people do on this forum with frame builds, buying, and selling of parts, I'm starting to think that the seller maybe didn't ride this Sofrider the way he sold it to me. Either he scavenged it for parts for another build and just threw on some old discards to make it ridable, or he has been replacing parts over time but never bought two or more things meant to work together.

If your think you would ever want a 20 speed Sofrider now would be a good time look at components.

Why is that?

Micro shift components can save you some cash $$$$ but they are a Shimano based line.

Are they on sale someplace? Link?

In general Shimano and Sram don't mix and match.
???? Do you remember what the rear deraileur was labled ???

The rear derailleur is Shimano. The LBS had some SRAM cassettes and other SRAM components in stock. I don't think they carried any Shimano.

I'd like to max out my Sofrider with the widest possible range on the cassette and get a shifter to match.
As much as I like the idea of the versatility provided by a three pack on the crank, I prefer the efficiency of just one. I'll probably stick with the two for the occasional steep hills around these here parts. Outer ring, I want something huge in the 50+ range.

I'm still new to learning the technical aspects of these things and finding sources for parts.

Last edited:

1happyreader

zen/child method
Either he scavenged it for parts for another build and just threw on some old discards to make it ridable, or he has been replacing parts over time but never bought two or more things meant to work together.
Yeah, I agree. I have a box of old Softrider parts that I kept with the intention of passing on with my bike.
Are they on sale someplace? Link?
I googled "microshift 8 speed" and came up with the usual suspects. ( got more hits without the caps.... Huh )
Niagara cycle
Modern bike
Jensen usa
Amazon
AliExpress (china post)
The rear derailleur is Shimano. The LBS had some SRAM cassettes and other SRAM components in stock. I don't think they carried any Shimano.
Ten (10-7) speed and under are compatable SRAM/Shimano.
MicroShift seems to be making inroads ( hah punny ) into the US http://www.microshift.com.tw/en/
I always bought mail order .
Saw Jenson had their 11-40 cassette and matching RD rear deraileure

Rampa

Guru
You can get "Universal" gripshift type shifters really cheap. They are always Shimano compatible, and have as many as 12 clicks. Then you just use what you need. I'll dig around a bit on Amazon and Ebay to find them.

Sticking with mountain bike components for this bike is probably best.

NeaL

Guru
You can get "Universal" gripshift type shifters really cheap. They are always Shimano compatible, and have as many as 12 clicks. Then you just use what you need. I'll dig around a bit on Amazon and Ebay to find them.

Sticking with mountain bike components for this bike is probably best.

After a little searching on Google, I think I might need more information. When you say "Universal," is that a brand name of bicycle components, or do you mean that as an adjective, just an attribute?

NeaL

Guru
Ever learn how to rollerskate or ice skate? Do you remember that stage of learning when you were so focused on not falling down that you weren't too concerned with which direction you were going? Your arms may be flailing and you are pivoting in a circle around one foot, but at least you're not falling down!
Or, learning to drive a stick shift. Repeatedly stalling the engine each time you let out the clutch, especially bad when there's traffic waiting behind you. The frustration and feeling rushed making it worse, or you're stopped on a hill and some other car came up behind you and stopped too close, you need a little more room for coasting backwards while trying to coordinate letting out the clutch while pushing on the accelerator.

That's sorta what my first effort commuting on my Sofrider was like, yesterday. I had ridden it up the gravel driveway to the private gravel/dirt road we share with 10 other houses one time before in the daytime, but it had rained overnight. The bike still has the smooth, almost treadless road tires it had when I got it off of Craigslist. Now the path was covered in layers of slippery, wet leaves and it was dark. The glow of the bike lights seemed to make things disorienting.
After 15 minutes of not even making it a mile, I rode the bike back down to my truck. I threw it into the bed and drove in to town, parked at a supermarket, and started from there. I could tell that I needed to build up my endurance and stamina. The terrain here isn't as challenging as West Virginia (refer to the HOPE documentary, if you don't know what I mean) but it's not the flatness of Florida where I went to college and regularly biked everywhere.

Once I got it out of the truck, I had the whole parking lot for getting myself underway. At the next steep hill, I was resigned to the fact that sometimes I'd have to walk it. At the top, a big empty gas station where I got back on. I rode the rest of the way to work, no problems... and no traffic, either. It was 5am.

After work was a completely different story. I tried getting underway but the sidewalks were too narrow. I couldn't get started out in the road because there was too much traffic. I just couldn't seem to find anyplace where it was wide enough and clear of interference to get myself going on the damn thing. I managed to ride it maybe a couple blocks in total, but mostly I walked my Sofrider all the way back to where I had parked my truck. I had given up on it, for the day. It was a very pathetic, frustrating, and infuriating experience.

Both the front and rear derailleurs gave me problems. I don't know if maybe they just need a good cleaning and lubricating, or I'm just going to keep having issues with a 3-position front shifter with only 2 rings, and a 7-position rear shifter on an 8-pack cassette. It came that way.

Not giving up, though. I just wasn't aware that I still needed so much more practice. And exercise. I know my weight is contributing a lot to my problems.

Maybe I need to start with a trike. I was focused on getting a recumbent bike because I wanted to take up as little width on the roads as I could and use the sidewalks around town when possible. Now, I don't care. The sidewalks in this town are awful. Despite the fact that at each corner the town recently put in access ramps, we still see people in electric wheelchairs out in the road with traffic. Why? Because this town puts utility poles in the middle of the sidewalks, often right along a wall or chain link fence. People in wheelchairs can't get past them without having to go back to a ramp access and going out into the street along the sidewalk. A bicyclist could try to "thread the needle" at those places, if they are willing to risk scraping off a finger or two.

And, there's no falling over on a trike if you're too slow going uphill. You might be totally downshifted and spinning the crank, but as long as you're creeping forward, you'll get there.

More practice on the Sofrider and maybe a trike is the prescription.

Sure, I could go ahead and buy myself a V20 but that would be like handing a Stradivarius to a circus clown. I'm not there yet.

Last edited: